• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foxnews is predicting an even split senate.  48 to 48.  If Harris is the VP, this means the dems will have nominal control.

"You bring me the man, I'll find you the crime." Lavrentiy Beria, chief of the Soviet secret police.

QV said:
"You bring me the man, I'll find you the crime." Lavrentiy Beria, chief of the Soviet secret police.

Cute, but little more than that in the face of investigations that centre around massive paper trails of accounting and financial documents. If any of these matters proceed, I'm confident that there will have been enough expert prosecutorial input to make sure that any indictments aren't for chickencrap.

QV said:

Indeed!  Obamagate!  ...or “Lock her up!”

50-50 would be a split Senate, not 48-48.  The outcome is possible if none of the other races changes and GA splits its runoffs.  GA voters will go into that election knowing 2 things: that Biden will be the next president, and that splitting the Senate puts the court-packing, etc, agenda back on the table.

I’ve yet to see anyone satisfactorily explain why ‘court packing’ is anything more than simply ‘filling vacancies’.

Brihard said:
I’ve yet to see anyone satisfactorily explain why ‘court packing’ is anything more than simply ‘filling vacancies’.

"Court packing" doesn't refer to "filling vacancies" but to increasing the size of the Supreme Court and thus creating more vacancies which would then be filled by justices more amenable to the administration in power.  The size of the US Supreme Court is not mentioned in the constitution but the current SC was established at a Chief Justice and eight associates in the Judiciary Act of 1869 (at the time there were 8 on the bench but there had been up to 10, but life, death and retirement happens).  For those 'Muricans who think that the Democratic Party is the nearest thing to communism as exampled by FDR's New Deal, they look back to the Judicial Procedures Reform Bill of 1937 as such an effort to "pack the court".

Right, thank you. Now I feel dumb, having read of the proposals to increase court sizes.

Some Democrats had proposed a 15-seat USSC.  5 seats always Democrat assigned, 5 seats always Republican assigned, and the remaining 5 nominated and approved by a mutually pre-agreed bi-partisan body.

Good2Golf said:
Some Democrats had proposed a 15-seat USSC.  5 seats always Democrat assigned, 5 seats always Republican assigned, and the remaining 5 nominated and approved by a mutually pre-agreed bi-partisan body.

I imagine Republicans are pretty satisfied with the way things are, and the direction in which they are going. USSC and Senate,

By 2040, two-thirds of Americans will be represented by 30 percent of the Senate
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/11/28/by-2040-two-thirds-of-americans-will-be-represented-by-30-percent-of-the-senate/

Washington Post

By 2040, about 70% of Americans are expected to live in the 15 largest states. They will have only 30 senators representing them, while the remaining 30% of Americans will have 70 senators representing them.

Brihard said:
While we have a couple months of tantrums, drama, and meltdowns to endure yet, in the end sanity and decency prevail.

Journeyman said:
If not worse. I recommend Psychotherapist Elizabeth Mika (@yourauntemma on Twitter ) for some insights into his psyche.  :not-again:

Thanks for that. Not sure how many will read it. But, I found it interesting.

Brihard said:
As I said, we shall see what happens when he no longer enjoys the shield that is being the sitting president.

Right.

>the remaining 5 nominated and approved by a mutually pre-agreed bi-partisan body

At which much of the energy and money broadly dissipated to gain control of the presidency and Senate becomes focused and concentrated on controlling and/or subverting the body, or maybe merely one or two of its members.

Fishbone Jones said:
I wonder why Trump's accomplishments never get discussed.

It does.  I’ve listed them or a lot of them before.  He also does not get the credit he deserves for a lot of it.

But those things have been completely undone by his own doing, via Twitter or the many unacceptable things he insinuates of says.

I have an idea what his legacy will be though.  But time will tell.

Fishbone Jones said:

His "accomplishments" probably depends on what side of the political divide you stand on.

Fishbone Jones said:
For the same reason that Fox News doesn't discuss Obama's accomplishments?

Retired AF Guy said:
His "accomplishments" probably depends on what side of the political divide you stand on.

More peace agreements under his watch in the Middle East than under any other since 1979

Colin P said:
More peace agreements under his watch in the Middle East than under any other since 1979

With Iran becoming a nuclear power, Syria still at civil war, ISIS re-establishing itself, and Turkey turning away from NATO, the middle east is arguably more volatile now as a direct result of his unilateral decisions and being buddy buddy with dictators. US diplomatic influence was set back worldwide by his arbitrary personal attacks on world leaders and mindless tariffs, and he manages to piss on NATO allies repeatedly with all kinds of false claims that derive from a basic lack of understanding of how the alliance works.

The guy is a lot of things, but an effective deal maker isn't one of them. The ones he signed were pretty meaningless ego boosters, and the Israel/Palestine proposal was a straight up shady real estate deal attempt. If he didn't have the leverage of the US military behind him, most countries would just tell him to pound sand.

Trump doesn't have many concrete laudable accomplishments.  Most of what was done that counts as significant achievement was conceived and executed by others, or achieved passively.

Examples:
- judicial nominees (mostly others)
- renewed impetus for normalization of relations in Middle East (mostly others)
- really long period between recessions and remarkably low unemployment (passive)

What I rate as Trump's most significant direct achievement: shifting some of the historical voter allegiance patterns, and demonstrating that the Republican party can win without the guidance and influence of the neocon talking heads.  Trump is going away and taking those irrelevant whingers with him.  Awesome two-fer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back