• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Vancouver Canucks Rule Thread! ha ha

Brutus said:
No team gets by Chicago, Nashville, and San Jose without their top centre playing well. Henrik is also being talked about in the media as a Conn Smythe candidate. Now, you can argue whether he is the front runner, but it would be tough to argue that all of the multiple media guys saying this are not only wrong, but that Henrik is a liability.

Burrows has a reputation as a diver and an unsportsmanlike player so he doesn't get any breaks from the officials. There's not a chance he's playing dirty and only getting 6 minutes in penalties over 18 games. Both him and Kesler had a meeting with the GM and Coach last summer, and they were told in no uncertain terms that they need to play 'whistle to whistle' and to stop the yapping and unsportsmanlike play. This is well documented in the Vancouver media. Your opinion of him, in MY humble opinion, is likely a result of his past play, not his current play.

Both Boston and TB have played 16 games, 2 less than Vancouver so far (but are scheduled to play the 17th). Henrik has 21 points over 18 games, or 1.16 pts/game. The next highest total for a non-Canuck player currently playing is Martin St. Louis/Vincent Lecavalier at 17 points over 16 games, or 1.06 pts/game each. Btw, St. Louis is -8, Henrik is now -4. Plus, the Lightning have played the defensively pourous Capitals and the injury depleted Pens. Henrik has had a MUCH tougher trip to the Finals than either of those other 2 players. His performance is remarkable.

I have not denied that Vancouver is an amazing team, or the fact that the Sedins are not themselves good. I simply am stating that their +/- is horrendous to me and that I personally believe the Canucks are in the place they are from the other 2-3-4 lines stepping up, also because of their net minder. Stats ARE stats, they have points but their plus minis still sucks, it would suck at +1 in my opinion.

Henriks season pts/game = 1.14 (he's doing better in this!)... 1.17
Henriks season +/- =      26..... Playoff's -4

Daniel Season pts/game = 1.26 ...... Playoff's = 0.89
Daniel +/- = 30 .... Playoffs = -4

They are achieving less then they did in season, underachieving. You can whine about stats, BUT I believe my point is valid they achieved less then they did in season; On the Burrows note I just don't like the player, I was born and raised in hockey rules quite different from even people 2 years older then me, a lot of the things they get away with in the NHL would never happen in my local AAA league and Jr. B league.

- Mike

(I agree with you that the nucks had a tough root, only because they made it so. If they just finished off their game 4's and 5's)

OH YA!!!!!!!!  Take that!  ha ha Loving it :nod:
Picture%2B10.png

canada94 said:
I have not denied that Vancouver is an amazing team, or the fact that the Sedins are not themselves good. I simply am stating that their +/- is horrendous to me and that I personally believe the Canucks are in the place they are from the other 2-3-4 lines stepping up, also because of their net minder. Stats ARE stats, they have points but their plus minis still sucks, it would suck at +1 in my opinion.

Henriks season pts/game = 1.14 (he's doing better in this!)... 1.17
Henriks season +/- =      26..... Playoff's -4

Daniel Season pts/game = 1.26 ...... Playoff's = 0.89
Daniel +/- = 30 .... Playoffs = -4

They are achieving less then they did in season, underachieving. You can whine about stats, BUT I believe my point is valid they achieved less then they did in season; On the Burrows note I just don't like the player, I was born and raised in hockey rules quite different from even people 2 years older then me, a lot of the things they get away with in the NHL would never happen in my local AAA league and Jr. B league.

- Mike

(I agree with you that the nucks had a tough root, only because they made it so. If they just finished off their game 4's and 5's)

The Canucks are not winning DESPITE the Sedins, they are winning BECAUSE of the Sedins to a large extent.

When you look at their plus/minus game by game and round by round, you will see that of the 6 games where they were minus players, they lost 4 of those games. More importantly, of the 12 wins so far, the Sedins have been minus players in 2 of them. So, essentially, when they are on, the Canucks win. When they are off, they lose.

In the first round, the Sedins were plus players (+4 for Daniel, +3 for Henrik) in the first 3 wins. In the debacle that was games 4-6 where they entire team pooped the bed, the Sedins were minus players (-6 Daniel, -7 Henrik)...in THREE games. Overall for the first round, -2 Daniel, -4 Henrik, but this was largely from games 4-6.

This trend continues for rounds 2 and 3...Sedins on, they win, Sedins off they lose. The corelation is not quite as strong in round 2 as the others, and this is due to the incredible effort put forth by Kesler, who basically carried the team through Nashville.

Once the Sedins got away from Keith/Seabrook, Suter/Weber and the suffocating Nashville defence, they tore up San Jose. Henrik set Canucks records for assists in a playoff game (4 in game 4), he assisted on all three of the pp goals scored in 1:55 in game 4 (a Canucks record), he set the Canucks record for assists in one playoff season (18), and points in one playoff round (12 pts, 5 games). It is widely speculated that Henrik was injured against Nashville early on in the round. Based on his breakout following a long rest between rounds 2 and 3, this speculation is propably true and surely led to his sub-par performance in round 2.

What does Burrows do that you find offensive? Please be specific. If you are going to say that a player of his reputation is getting away with it for 18 games with only 6 PIM, I need a little more than 'i just don't like the player'.

I personally find it offensive that Burrows, Lapierre, Samuelsson, Kesler and Luongo have created a culture of diving and embellishment, to the point that H. Sedin is now getting in on the act.

When I see that sort of thing happening on a team that is talented enough to not need it, it bothers me. I started out with every intention to cheer for the Canucks all the way until the end, but I just can't get myself up to cheer for that kind of play.

I'm just going to settle with you they have played an important role but are still underachieving  +/- wise which I have been saying all along, lol.

My opinion on burrows does not have to do with the fact he has 6 minutes of penalties I simply believe he should have MORE because I have witnessed him within the game get away with A-LOT. I'm not going to debate about whether or not the Sedins have played a big role because when we first started debating they were on for every goal against in the Nashville series, I will however admit they completely demolished the San Jose sharks, even Burrow's who has actually played good, very good.

I am obviously biased against them, but someone said I don't support with "stats". They don't have the +/- they did in the season, and that was all I was saying the ENTIRE time.. oh and that I personally hate Burrows who to anyone who is not a Nucks fan is a player you love to hate.

- Mike

canada94 said:
My opinion on burrows does not have to do with the fact he has 6 minutes of penalties I simply believe he should have MORE because I have witnessed him within the game get away with A-LOT. - Mike

Right, so what has he done specifically? Other than the 3 minors he's taken.

Brutus said:
Right, so what has he done specifically? Other than the 3 minors he's taken.

Every-time you speed do you get a ticket?

Tripped, hooked but most of all.. his biggest and I mean his most evident thing I see him do alllllllll the time is HOLD.

canada94 said:
Every-time you speed do you get a ticket?

Tripped, hooked but most of all.. his biggest and I mean his most evident thing I see him do alllllllll the time is HOLD.

I'll watch for that...honestly, I have not seen him play dirty all year. He skates away from most scrums, doesn't yap at the refs unless it's a total bs call, and generally plays like a 'good Canadian kid'.

I'll come on here and eat crow if I see him play that way, Scouts honour.

Brutus said:
I'll watch for that...honestly, I have not seen him play dirty all year. He skates away from most scrums, doesn't yap at the refs unless it's a total bs call, and generally plays like a 'good Canadian kid'.

I'll come on here and eat crow if I see him play that way, Scouts honour.

It's hockey still kicks ass :)

IM going against my ways currently and cheering for the nucks ;)

- Mike

I live in the area near the Roger's Arena  where a lot of the Canuck players live, see them at Starbucks, Bojangles, Urban Fare and YBP etc.  They are very low key and very respectful of the fans and the fans tend to leave them alone. If you make some chit-chat with them they just smile and say thanks for supporting the team . . .  always team focus.

They have a very quiet confidence about them and seem to understand they are a team of destiny.

Go 'nucks go . . .  can't wait for the parade.

Caught part of this on HBO last night . . . 

http://www.hbocanada.com/247penguinscapitals/video.php

Best Hockey show ever . . miked up players, refs & coaches, on the ice,  in the locker room.  If you ever wanted to know what the players & refs say to each other on ice . .  this is the show

Set the PVR up to get the rest. 

If his conditioning gets back up to par the Canucks could be a lot more trouble for the East:

Vancouver Canuck centre Manny Malhotra, who suffered what was thought to be a season-ending eye injury on March 16 that at one point was perhaps considered to be career-threatening, has been cleared by doctors to fully participate in practice, including taking contact.

While no decisions have been made on playing a game as Malhotra still needs to prove to himself and the coaching staff he's capable of playing without being a liability to himself or the team, there is now a legitimate chance he could see action in the Stanley Cup final if all continues to go well.

Full article at TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367065

I thought that it might have been a career killer when he went down.  With no Canucks game until Wednesday this is certainly the best news that I'll hear all week.

Raffi Torres just made everyone's day in Vancouver. With 19 seconds to spare.  ;D

Yeah, but he's a asshole on a winning team....  :p

I just heard that the team that wins game 1 gets the cup 77% of the time. ;D

Vancouver in 4.  8)

If I am wrong, the next poster below this will get full custody of my first born. (Shipping time: 6-8 weeks years)

;D

HavokFour said:
Vancouver in 4.  8)

If I am wrong, the next poster below this will get full custody of my first born. (Shipping time: 6-8 weeks years)

;D

My neighbor called for the sweep, claiming that Boston would only have to score one goal on Vancouver's "mediocre defence."  I heard a *thud* last night with mere seconds remaining in the game.  I have a theory that it was the back of his head hitting the wall in despair.  He was right about one goal being able to decide a game in this series and wrong about everything else.  ::)

It's hard to determine which is more fun:  being a Canucks fan deep into enemy(re: Leafs) territory, or being in Vancouver during party mode.  I think I'm one of a dozen fans in Kingston right now. 

Also, my quote of the week came from K-Rock.  I can't recall it word for word, but he was on the phone with a correspondent in Vancouver.

"I'm a diehard Leafs fans, so I've never experienced it my lifetime.  Can you tell me what it's like to be in a Stanley Cup city?"

It's going to be a close series, but I'm going to have to wager on the Jets in 6 games.

Back