• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

Hello folks,

I am a British Citizen with Canadian permanent resident status and looking to sign up for the Canadian Regular forces. How do I go about joining? Is it possible for me to apply for both CF & Citizenship at the same time? The current wait for citizen from start to end is roughly two years (Note, I am 19 and have been in Canada since 1998.) and of course the application wait time.

I am currently in College, however I would rather do something with the Forces instead. I figured I would post here and see what people had to say before bugging my recruiter.

Thanks,

Jordan

Taken from the forces.ca website:

To apply to the Canadian Forces, you must:

Be a Canadian Citizen.
    Be 17 years of age, with parental consent, or older, except:
        Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applications must be 16 or older.

Looks like you'll have to wait until your citizenship process is completed in order to apply.

Generally speaking, you need to be a Canadian Citizen to be enrolled.  Exceptions do happen but normally only in cases where the individual applying possesses prior military service and specialized training from a Commonwealth or NATO military force which makes them a "skilled" applicant and I don't think that would apply in your case.

You can apply but you will need to apply for your permanent Canadian Citizenship at the sametime in order to be considered.

my experience, having been in a similar situation, the recruiting center cant do anything with you until you have your citizenship, they told me to upgrade and start getting in better shape. and citizenship only took me a year. used that time to finish my apprenticeship, so have college certificate and a red seal qualification (somewhat related to the trade I wanted in the cf). and at 19, you have time to better yourself, and time to reflect if it is what you want to do.
i'm just an applicant waiting for the call, so take the opinion for what its worth

I might be daydreaming too much and it's unlikely anyone on here has any info about this but I figure I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know how the US or British air forces handle people with RCAF pilot training? I love my country but I hate how small and limited its air force is. If I was ever accepted, I think a few years down the road I might want to transfer to one of these forces only because I would want to the opportunity to be able to pilot the huge variety of aircraft they have that we don't, ie; bomber aircraft, CAS (warthogs, etc), high-tech transports like the Osprey, let alone the most cutting edge fighters (and a lot more of them than we do).

Sword said:
I might be daydreaming too much and it's unlikely anyone on here has any info about this but I figure I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know how the US or British air forces handle people with RCAF pilot training? I love my country but I hate how small and limited its air force is. If I was ever accepted, I think a few years down the road I might want to transfer to one of these forces only because I would want to the opportunity to be able to pilot the huge variety of aircraft they have that we don't, ie; bomber aircraft, CAS (warthogs, etc), high-tech transports like the Osprey, let alone the most cutting edge fighters (and a lot more of them than we do).

How about not wasting the RCAF's time and just apply to those airforces right off the bat? Theres plenty of people that want a pilot spot and are willing to do 25 years serving Canada that I hope get a spot before you.

PuckChaser said:
How about not wasting the RCAF's time and just apply to those airforces right off the bat? Theres plenty of people that want a pilot spot and are willing to do 25 years serving Canada that I hope get a spot before you.

OR better idea: How about you keep your personal opinions to yourself and only post useful information? Even better, how about if I get in I serve my contract and do whatever I want when I'm done? Yeah I think I'll do that.

Sword said:
OR better idea: How about you keep your personal opinions to yourself and only post useful information? Even better, how about if I get in I serve my contract and do whatever I want when I'm done? Yeah I think I'll do that.
Do whatever you want, champ. Just make sure you let the recruiters know what you're thinking - to do otherwise would be immoral.

For those who wanting to join US military and without citizenship there is a way.
I believe it has been mentioned in this thread or some other thread previously but MILITARY ACCESSIONS VITAL TO NATIONAL INTEREST (MAVNI) program of US armed forces allow foreigners with special set of skills that they need and meeting certain requirements to enlist

more details visit attached links
http://www.defense.gov/news/mavni-fact-sheet.pdf
http://www.goarmy.com/content/dam/goarmy/downloaded_assets/mavni/mavni-amedd.pdf

*at the moment only army is recruiting and air force less than 10 people*

Though as much as I love Canada and have lived there for the majority of life since immigrating but my occupation upon graduation requires licensing from the board which can take anywhere from 6 months to a year upon return home and being job less during that time and not being able to start the process with canadian forces until being licensed is a big problem for me.
So I may take advantage of this program and if they will take me sign with Uncle Sam.  :'(

Sword said:

Do you want help, or are you here to stir the pot, there Maverick?

You want to waste the CFs time to train you, only to jump ship?  Pfft, trundle along and take Puckchasers advice.

This isn't a site for XBOX wannabes to strut their stuff, and intimidate the membership, most of which have more time on a an Aeroplane than you do on this God Given Earth!

dileas

tess

Sword said:
....I would want to the opportunity to be able to pilot the huge variety of aircraft they have that we don't, ie; bomber aircraft, CAS (warthogs, etc), high-tech transports like the Osprey, let alone the most cutting edge fighters ....
Do you believe that USAF pilots fly B-2s for a couple of years, move on to F-22s until they get bored, then its on to V-22s?

Sword said:

First off, assuming that you are even successful in getting your wings - which takes about 3-4 yrs to get from enrollment - you automatically incur 7 years of obligatory service so the government can get its money back from training you.  So really you are looking at 11 years in the RCAF.  Secondly, both the RAF and USAF are going through cutbacks; in the case of the RAF very severe downsizing with whole squadrons being eliminated.  So ask yourself this: if they are getting rid of their own trained people why would they want to hire a foreigner?  Instead its us that is hiring them.  According to the Ottawa Citizen on 1 Apr 12, we hired one ex-RAF pilot and were in the process of hiring 20-25 more of them to fill our ranks. 

As for flying a variety of aircraft throughout a career you are better off in the RCAF than the USAF.  Pilots are grouped by communities like the infantry into regiments.  In the RCAF most pilots stick with their communities but we do allow pilots to switch on a fairly regular basis.  I've worked with pilots who did tours in tac hel and then went transport/multiengine; from fighters to tac hel; tac hel to fighters; fighters to multiengine.  And our Snowbird pilots come from a variety of communities instead of just fighters like the USAF with the Thunderbirds and the USN with the Blue Angels.  In the USAF it is very rare for a pilot to switch communities voluntarily unless they are going from the regular air force to the reserve or national guard.  For example the fighter guys have to be forced to do predator tours "drone zone flying", they call it. 

As for cutting edge aircraft to fly, the RCAF has a fairly good stable right now or in delivery: the EH101, C17, CH47F (first one delivered and undergoing testing) and C130J are all advanced aircraft.  Even the Cyclone project to replace the Sea King is inching its way to delivery.  If the F35 project comes through our fighter fleet will be as advanced as any NATO ally (with the exception of the USAF F22 which no other country has until congress changes the law against exporting it).

Finally, if you really want to fly with the US or British, the RCAF has exchange positions with them on operational squadrons and their schools.  One of my previous bosses served on exchange with the British Army Air Corps while another was deputy commander of a US Navy squadron on the east coast and yet another flew with a US Army Air Cavalry Regiment.  Astronaut and retired Colonel Hadfield went to the USAF Test Pilot School (top candidate) and served on exchange as a US Navy test pilot (US Navy Test Pilot of the Year 1991).  If you can get one of these exchange slots you can ask them then how they'd handle any qualifications you might receive from the RCAF.

Sword said:

I'm on your side, bro. Who are these people to think that they can offer real life advice and opinion based on what you offered up in your first post.

How. Fucking. Dare. They.

That would be, like, so discussion forum-esque. ^-^

I'm glad you showed up here, don't let the haters get you down dude. You go right ahead and join up and chase your dreams. Get all ticketed up and bail to somewhere else. The grass IS greener, everything you've been told about it not being so is a lie.

Fuck morals, man, you don't owe anyone anything!

:prancing:

Sword said:
I might be daydreaming too much and it's unlikely anyone on here has any info about this but I figure I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know how the US or British air forces handle people with RCAF pilot training?

I remember hearing somewhere that if you served in another country's military,  you are disqualified from joining the USAF.  You can chat with a USAF Recruiter to confirm if that info is correct or false.

Also there is the whole citizenship issue - you need to have someone who is an immediate family member who is a US Citizen(or Green Card holder) to sponsor.  To be an officer in the US Military,  you need to be a US Citizen.
http://www.airforce.com/contact-us/faq/eligibility/#non-us-join
I am a non-U.S. citizen. Can I join?

Enlistment into the U.S. Air Force by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigrations and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551, commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 27; meet the mental, moral and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Note: The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted. Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an officer in the U.S. Air Force, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen.

Sword said:
:facepalm:

Good luck in the USAF/RAF. Go, now.

We don't need the arrogance you have just displayed.

We have quite enough already.

Sword said:

With an attitude like that, I would dearly hope you would move on from CF service as quickly as they would allow you. You would not be needed in our ranks.

I more fervently hope that your efforts to join are simply fruitless, and that the position goes to someone more deserving and with a better ethic of service to their country, rather than someone with fantasies of flying the highest tech kit they can get their hands on. You are a classic case of someone who would be joining for the wrong reasons.

Sword said:

I wouldn't worry about what you'll be doing in your post-RCAF career, because I'm willing to bet you won't have one with your mindset. Go ahead and tell your interviewer you want to join so you can go "PEW PEW PEW!!! Gotcha!!" and let me know how that works out for you.

Good Day All,

I did a search on this topic in these forums and the only relevant thread I found was here (http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/16844.150.html) which quickly diverged to being singularly focused on the British military.

I am currently in CF and my initial contract is up in 2015.  It is still early, I know, but knowing how long things take I want to start looking into it now and possibly applying.

New Zealand and Australia have programs that will allow Canadians with military experience to move laterally to their forces to take the same trade and rank with minimal training.  It looks like they may be able to pay to move you to there and eventually get your citizenship there.  These programs can be found here

http://www.defencecareers.mil.nz/how-to-join/overseas-applicants

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitmentcentre/canIJoin/overseasApplicants/Default.aspx

I am considering doing this for a number of reasons (which I am not going to get into).  My concern though is that to do that is a really big decision.  There's a lot of information that is not available on those sites, and while I am trying to get ahold of their recruiters, I am looking for people who have done one of these moves, or knows someone who has.  I want to make sure that if I go with my wife that we wont be making a terrible decision where we are losing all these great benefits, that we will be dirt poor and have a poor standard of living, where we have no chance of advancements opportunities, that we will become depressed from being lonely and feeling isolated having left all our friends and family behind.

Basically I am trying to get as much information as I can before I make a large move.

There may be a bit more info for you over on ARRSE, but it would be from the point of view of UK Forces members looking to transfer. I've definitely read the posts on both the OZ and Kiwi threads where advice is being provided by Brits who havemade the jump.

Be carefull..... ARRSE isn't as forgiving as this forum!!!

Cheers
Noneck

noneck said:
There may be a bit more info for you over on ARRSE, but it would be from the point of view of UK Forces members looking to transfer. I've definitely read the posts on both the OZ and Kiwi threads where advice is being provided by Brits who havemade the jump.

Be carefull..... ARRSE isn't as forgiving as this forum!!!

Cheers
Noneck

Kind of like the British Army  ;D

Back