• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

Check with your local recruiter about both the background check and the waiver... remember to say that you will be getting your citizenship really early. Try also emailing the recruitment website where they may be able to direct you.

ROS'
Unless you are a Canadian Citzen, you are Outa luck with enrolling in the CF... unless you have a skill / qualification that the CF needs & does not have.

Those are the rules, as they are written now.  The Recruiting system is jammed full of applicants - I have doubts you can squeak through on a technicality BUT, I have been known to make the occasional error (shudder & gasp) ... give err a try & see what it gets ya.

Good luck

GL. As I will be in your position sometime soon myself..I done it all bassackwards
so I plan on fixing it by 2-3 yrs of college in Canada and such.
But GL and let me know how things work out.

Alright Everyone!!

I've actually answered my own question...ROS was right. You may apply for a citizenship waiver, but the only ones they are (supposedly) accepting right now are for Doctors. Otherwise, you need to have a skill or qualification that there is a need for.

Thanks for everyone's help!! I am just someone trying to make a difference, serve my new country and have some fun along the way...I might try to apply for a waiver anyways...can't hurt, and I do have a medical background...Good luck to anyone else in the same boat!!

If you have any questions about Immigration I've been through it all!!

Cheers!

.... which is pert much what I told ya.
The rules aren't there to block you, they aren't there to $crew you. They are there to make the process move faster by letting everyone know what can and cannot be done and say plainly why.

sunnyliston,  just like Geo said, and you yourself have discovered. I have had to turn away many applicants, and potential applicants because they do not meet the citizenship requirement. Keep your head up, and if this is what you'd like to do later on, then all the power to you. Good luck in your application.

Hello to all as some of you may know I am in service with the United States Army and am coming home on "leave" before our return to the sandbox, I am hoping to talk to one of the reserve units when I return to Canada, British Columbia either Vancouver or the New Westminster regiment.  Hope to hear back from you, I am frailly busy right now with two range days for the last bit of this week.  So next time I jump on is when I return to Canada this Saturday.  Thanks very much take care, Can Am

My advance apologies as I realize this question has been asked before, however, the threads in which I found it addressed were 2006 and before and I understand the situation may have changed (or I may be incorrect on this point).

I am an American citizen and my job will require me to relocate to Canada soon. I was currently interested in joining the Washington (where I'm from) National Guard but that will obviously no longer be possible. I've read the official website material about foreigners joining the CF Reserves but am wondering, on a practical level, how likely would it be for a non-citizen of Canada to be accepted into the Primary Reserves? As in - is it relatively easy, relatively possible, fairly difficult or essentially impossible? If there's any degree of possibility are there differences in level of difficulty of acceptance in the Land Force Reserve vs. the Air Reserve vs. Health Services Reserve etc.?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

You will need to be able to work legally in Canada in order for the PRes recruiters to even look at you - Landed Immigrant Status = green card.

I believe that there is also a requirement that you must start actively seeking Canadian Citizenship after 2+ years in service.

Go to www.forces.ca and see what they have to offer.

Hi my names Josh. I served a short period in the U.S. Air Force and received an honorable discharge. I'm curious about the Canadian Forces and joining them. I'm not a Canadian citizen, so what are my chances of getting permission from CFRG? Would I have to do Canadas basic training/boot camp? Rate which military branch boot camp is easiest to hardest. I'm open to the Army, Navy, and Air Force, but I've read theres not a lot of Navy bases. Does CF have overseas bases as well as in Canada? Does CF pay for a place for you to live, like if your married you get to live in a house on base without paying for it? Sorry lots of questions!!! Thanks!!!  :cdn:

Answered in short, because there are answers aplenty already in the forums.

SuperMaWiiOH said:
Hi my names Josh. I served a short period in the U.S. Air Force and received an honorable discharge. I'm curious about the Canadian Forces and joining them. I'm not a Canadian citizen, so what are my chances of getting permission from CFRG?

Non-Existant.

Would I have to do Canadas basic training/boot camp?

More then likely, yes.

Rate which military branch boot camp is easiest to hardest. I'm open to the Army, Navy, and Air Force,

They're all exactly the same, personnel from all branches attend/teach the same basic course.

Does CF have overseas bases as well as in Canada?

No.

Does CF pay for a place for you to live, like if your married you get to live in a house on base without paying for it?

No.

Interesting tidbit about transferring to the CF from another commonwealth country. 

I sailed with a guy that re-enrolled in the CF after 4 years.  The reason he left in the first place was that he "transferred" to the Australian Navy after his first 6 years in the Canadian Navy.  As he told it, the day he left the Canadian Navy an Australian exchange officer took him out for supper and swore him in to the Australian Navy and they flew him down there right away.  (I'm sure there was a lot of paper work before that to get in, but the final step was a supper in downtown Halifax)

When he got to Australia they gave him the rank of Leading Seaman, and he didn't need to take any career courses. He was posted to a ship right away, employed in the same trade that he was in Canada (Naval Communicator). 

After that adventure was over he moved back to Canada.  Not only was he unable to "transfer" to the CF from the Australian Navy, the only reason he didn't have to do basic again was he was only gone four years.  Had it been five he would have had to go to St Jean and do it all over again.  I think he did work out a deal that he only had to redo his 5's because there had been some significant changes to the Naval Communicators occupation since he left.  But as he told it, there was absolutely no benefit given to him from the CF for his time served in Australia. 

I realize this is anecdotal, and not really black and white, but and interesting story none the less.
:cdn:     

I'm assuming he never gave up his Canadian citizenship when serving in Australia.
BTW, not everyone who has been out for 5 years or more has to do basic again.  ;D

The Aussies have an aggressive poaching recruiting campaign within commonwealth countries.  Numerous F-18 pilots took FRP from Canada and enlistment bonuses from Australia in the 90s.

Canada hasn't seen fit to reciprocate (though the CF pension does have terms covering Commonwealth service).

Equivalencies for foreign service can be problematic - often equipment is radically different, and doctrine may be as well.  Getting a grasp on what someone has been trained on in a foreign military an be difficult (even getting equivalencies for old CF courses can be a pain).

I'm assuming he never gave up his Canadian citizenship when serving in Australia.
BTW, not everyone who has been out for 5 years or more has to do basic again

No he didn't give up his Canadian Citizenship.  

He was told though that had he applied a few months later he would have had to do Basic over though.  Like everything, I'm sure offers are on a case by case basis.  

My point was more that CF training is quite respected throughout the world. And to point out that while other countries will accept training from Canada and take "transfers", I highly doubt that the CF would do the same.

CFFB said:
My point was more that CF training is quite respected throughout the world. And to point out that while other countries will accept training from Canada and take "transfers", I highly doubt that the CF would do the same.

I agree and doubt that the CF would accept other countries' training.  Why would they is ours is better?  :cdn:

I knew my ears were burning for a reason....

I'm a canadian citizen who has just returned to Canada from 6 years in the British Army.

All my qualifications are transferrable, dependant upon the PLAR process, and my British Army service counts both towards pension and CD.

I am rushed for time right now so cannot spend long typing away, I will return in a bit and spill the beans on the process. It is complicated, not the most straightforward, but very possible, and so far, very worthwhile.

I agree and doubt that the CF would accept other countries' training.  Why would they is ours is better?

I couldn't say one way or another.  Maybe they are just more willing to make adjustments to their recruiting standards to get the numbers up. 

Pretty straight forward policy:

Eligibility requirements vary for each occupation. There are, however, basic eligibility requirements common to all occupations within the CF:

- Be a Canadian citizen.  Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when a Canadian citizen cannot fill the position, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced;

- Be 17 years of age (with parental/guardian consent) or older; junior level Military College applicants must be 16 years of age; you may be enrolled in the Reserves providing you are 16 years of age; and

- Meet the minimum education requirements for your entry plan and/or
occupation.

The only exception:

a. Applicants who are not Canadian citizens, but do hold Permanent Resident Status; and

b. Possess specialized skills/qualifications the CF has need of and cannot fill with a Canadian citizen; and

c. Do not pose a risk to any national interest; may only be enrolled into the CF if permission is granted by the Commander of the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group (CFRG).

If one does not currently hold Canadian citizenship, but have Permanent Resident status in Canada you will have to be granted a Citizenship Waiver by the Commander CFRG prior to starting any of the selection testing. In order to do this, you must provide a curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé to CFRG HQ. I believe that the format is available at:http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/resources/noncanadians_en.aspx?bhcp=1

Back