• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

I think you’re right.
The Ukrainians have dropped messages and leaflets to soldiers who want to surrender. Asking for mercy isn't enough. They have to show intent to surrender by moving to Ukrainian lines. If they drop their rifle and move towards Russian lines they should be fair game. That's just a guy coming back to kill you tomorrow.

It is difficult to watch. I don't know if I could do it. I heard drone pilots had pretty high rates of PTSD/suicide.
About 15 or so years ago I attended a seminar where the topic of PTSD among UAV operators was discussed. This was what is known as an "unintended consequence" of UAV operations. In Afghanistan some UAV operators were severely affected by watching TICs develop and having no way to influence the battle while CAF troops were about to come under contact.

Reminds me, of all things, of an Episode in MASH where a Bomber Pilot who was injured in a raid, received treatment at the 4077 at the time as the hospital was treating the wounded from his bombing mission. The war became real and he was as vulnerable in the head as the people on the ground.

In reality, this is not so different from soldiers in trenches a hundred years ago, who might be disarmed and injured by the shelling yet they can't surrender because there is no way to surrender to artillery.

It's just that in this day and age, the shells have eyes.

It is difficult to watch. I don't know if I could do it. I heard drone pilots had pretty high rates of PTSD/suicide.
Probably need to screen for the same things as snipers but add xbox skills

About 15 or so years ago I attended a seminar where the topic of PTSD among UAV operators was discussed. This was what is known as an "unintended consequence" of UAV operations. In Afghanistan some UAV operators were severely affected by watching TICs develop and having no way to influence the battle while CAF troops were about to come under contact.
PTSD is generally caused not by the traumatic event per sevas used to be taught to first responders, but a high emotional impact event where one is prevented from improving the outcome and normally would be able to.

To put our politics and economy back on sound footings, our societies need to adopt wartime postures, as we did in 1939, that make Russia pay for its crimes: transfer seized assets and reserves to Ukraine; toughen sanctions, including against China for its burgeoning direct and indirect exports that keep Russia’s war economy afloat; and decisively counter pervasive propaganda that aims to put Kremlin allies such as Donald Trump, Marine Le Pen, Nigel Farage and Germany’s AfD into office.

WAY TO GO PUTIN! NORTH KOREAN JUNK IS EXPLODING IN THE FACES OF RUSSIAN SOLDIERS || 2024

Is hunting a fellow down (possibly already wounded) who is running away, unarmed, from the battlefield fair cricket?

A retreating enemy is still a legitimate target; a surrendering enemy is not. If he is not trying to surrender, then he can be targeted. If you are a combatant, you are a legitimate target even if unarmed. If you are on your feet and manoeuvring to rejoin your forces, you are not hors de combat.

One of the many concerning things about the treaty between the living God and the wannabe Tsar is the importation of North Korean workers to Russia. At it 's face it will allow the replacement of many Russians and former CIS workers no longer the workforce and allow an increase in military production.

But that also implies more Russians available to mobilise - and likely (if not by intent which I have my suspicions about) a bunch of North Korean lower enlisted 'workers' who can immediately be sent or can be mobilised to fight in Ukraine.
Go watch old VICE news shorts on North Koreans working in lumber camps in the middle of Siberia. They've been doing it already for decades.

Go watch old VICE news shorts on North Koreans working in lumber camps in the middle of Siberia. They've been doing it already for decades.

China has been outsourcing to North Korea for ages...

Even without AI piloting and target acquisition, the Anti Air FPV could be a cost effective SHORAD and a very effective helicopter hunter.

As a recoverable/rechargeable AI controlled swarm, virtually indefensible against.

Back