• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Therapeutic Cannabis use

I've had accupuncture done, and one does not even feel it, and I hate needles too, ha  :nod:

I had success with it too.

Cheers,

OWDU

Echoing Techno's reply that this isn't the best audience to ask, the Army for the most part is relatively anti-narcotics.

Even when things change in society it always takes an extra generation for the culture to change, because the senior decision makers were raised in the previous generation's culture.

Even if marijuana became legal today, you wouldn't see people doing it in the smoking area tomorrow.

Petamocto said:
Even if marijuana became legal today, you wouldn't see people doing it in the smoking area tomorrow.
Wanna bet?  ;D
:peace:

Technoviking said:
Wanna bet?

Yes I do, the same way you don't (or at least shouldn't) see people getting drunk at work.

If it ever becomes legal, I can not see it being treated any differently than alcohol where it would be 8+ hours before being on duty.  Possibly 12 or 24 hours, I guess...I'm no Dr.

Petamocto said:
Yes I do, the same way you don't
Though I get it that if it were legal, I would not smoke it on duty, or prior to.  If, however, it were legal today, then you would probably see me in the smoking hut at the mess, having a "puff" to chase my Crown Royal!

:peace:

Petamocto said:
Yes I do, the same way you don't (or at least shouldn't) see people getting drunk at work.

If it ever becomes legal, I can not see it being treated any differently than alcohol where it would be 8+ hours before being on duty.  Possibly 12 or 24 hours, I guess...I'm no Dr.

So would that not make your original statement moot?

Petamocto said:
Even when things change in society it always takes an extra generation for the culture to change, because the senior decision makers were raised in the previous generation's culture.

People would not smoke dope in the smoking area, as they would not drink during woring hours.  This has nothing to do with decision makers were raised in the previous generation's culture.

But I digress, maybe the scent of Techno's Patchouli cologne is clouding your senses today....

:)

dileas

tess

Petamocto said:
Echoing Techno's reply that this isn't the best audience to ask, the Army for the most part is relatively anti-narcotics.

Actually I think this is probably the best place to raise the question, knowing that the majority
here are ex servicemen and most likely abided within the law. I already know what kind of response I would get from the peanut gallery. That is to say, that every dope user/dealer from
hells half acre would more than likely srongly recommend it. Wheras here, I know that I would be getting an honest opinion based on the facts. Perhaps from true medicinal related users,
and not from the, "Lets get high" crowd.

First, let me apologize for my rather curt first response.

Now, on to your question. There seems to be good evidence that cannabis works for some folks. I've not read any good peer reviewed studies on the subject. The real challenges seem to be essentially three:

a. the effect is highly variable;
b. the negative consequences of smoking the drug can outweigh the positives; and
c. the "Lets get high" crowd is driving much of the discussion, thereby obfuscating the real issues.

That being said, if you can get a bone-fide prescription, then you might at least see if it works.

ModlrMike said:
First, let me apologize for my rather curt first response.

Now, on to your question. There seems to be good evidence that cannabis works for some folks. I've not read any good peer reviewed studies on the subject. The real challenges seem to be essentially three:

a. the effect is highly variable;
b. the negative consequences of smoking the drug can outweigh the positives; and
c. the "Lets get high" crowd is driving much of the discussion, thereby obfuscating the real issues.

That being said, if you can get a bone-fide prescription, then you might at least see if it works.

True what you say. I would much rather manage the pain than lose my flipping mind :nod:

Anecdotaly, I agree with OWDU about accupuncture - used it to good effect for a couple of problems, despite me not liking needles much either.  Depending on your joint issues, other options are massage, chiro or osteopathic practitioners.  Of course, keeping active, though sounding a little perverse at first, actually does help manage some arthritic conditions.  It takes awhile to get in to alot of them, but I'm sure you could benefit from a referral to a pain clinic - should try to get one, even if it's from a walk in clinic.

MM

48th,

You are correct that I was speaking about two different things.

When I brought up the "one generation behind" attitude, it was not to suggest that they would ban its use, so much as it would more than likely be frowned upon by the upper echelon because it was banned in the system of rules and regulations they learned.

If something is legal it's legal, but in social events such as a mess dinner, technically people would be able to step out in the smoking area on a Friday and light up, but I can't see that not having indirect consequences.

We would not see full culture buy-in until the soldiers and junior leaders of today (if it were made legal) get to those senior ranks.

Thanks for the input on the subject matter.
And please feel free to add to or post your comment.

Petamocto said:
48th,

You are correct that I was speaking about two different things.

When I brought up the "one generation behind" attitude, it was not to suggest that they would ban its use, so much as it would more than likely be frowned upon by the upper echelon because it was banned in the system of rules and regulations they learned.

If something is legal it's legal, but in social events such as a mess dinner, technically people would be able to step out in the smoking area on a Friday and light up, but I can't see that not having indirect consequences.

We would not see full culture buy-in until the soldiers and junior leaders of today (if it were made legal) get to those senior ranks.

As it stands in the military, even if it was made legal, I don't think the recreational use would
be much tolerated. Not just that, but the media would have a hayday with it.

If it's legal, then that's that.  As an armed force, we have no choice but to uphold the law within our ranks.  Otherwise, we are rogue, and that's not good.

Technoviking said:
If it's legal, then that's that.  As an armed force, we have no choice but to uphold the law within our ranks.  Otherwise, we are rogue, and that's not good.

I think we're empowered to curtail legal activities (ie: active campaigning for a political party); we're not allowed to condone illegal ones. I wager that if pot were legalized, it would still be prohibited from use by the CF.

Something like 20 years ago alcohol was removed in Alberta as a medication as ineffective.  In my younger days, I found it highly effective.  I believe this is discrimination and I should be allowed to buy my medication of choice untaxed.  It is strangely unusual that the courts interceded to allow weed, an untested drug, to be legally used as a medication.

Got pain?  Use T3s or as I call them heroin.  T3s don't cut it?  Oxycontin.  You might even be supporting the Afghani economy.

Technoviking said:
If it's legal, then that's that.

Yes, but as we have already discussed it would be with an asterisk.

Just like someone drew the line with alcohol by saying "Legal, but only _____ hours" before being on duty, all it would take was the medical/leadership side of the house to quote one study and then say "Legal, but only 30 days before being on duty", which would effectively ban it unless you took a 5-week leave block.

Petamocto said:
Yes, but as we have already discussed it would be with an asterisk.

Just like someone drew the line with alcohol by saying "Legal, but only _____ hours" before being on duty, all it would take was the medical/leadership side of the house to quote one study and then say "Legal, but only 30 days before being on duty", which would effectively ban it unless you took a 5-week leave block.
Fair enough.  I just mean off hours, or whatever.  In other words, you can't be under the influence, etc.

I'm just talking about sitting down on a saturday night, day 1 of leave, smoking a big fatty by the fire pit ;D

Technoviking said:
I'm just talking about sitting down on a saturday night, day 1 of leave, smoking a big fatty by the fire pit ;D

When I drive to Saint John I always wondered what that fire was smoking off to the west that smelled great...everything always seemed so funny until I got to Welsford.

Alcohol is legal within a certain age and use range - but we still prohibit it's use in operational and  some day to day circumstances.  If pot were legalized, I'm willing to bet there would be seirous limitations on use - high to fly times, those sort of things .  I doubt it would be tolerated out in the smoke pit.  Besides, we are a volunteer force and if you don't like our rules, I'm sure someone else would be willing to smoke up with you at some other venue of employment.

Dennis Ruhl said:
Got pain?  Use T3s or as I call them heroin...

Codiene is a far cry from heroin  ::)

MM

Back