• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Think you know the Middle East?

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
hmm....84%...dumb mistakes too....

Think you know the Middle East? Take our geography quiz.
The Middle East has long been a major center of human affairs. Located at the crossroads of Europe, Africa, and Asia, the Middle East was home to the world's earliest civilizations and is the spiritual center of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Yezidi, Mithraism, Zoroastrianism, Manichaeism, and the Bahá'í Faith.

Do you have a good enough understanding of the Greater Middle East to complete this geography quiz? Identify each country pictured:

- Jacob Turcotte

Questionaire page

That's a pretty progressive site, blasphemy from some Christian's point of view.  I'm expecting them to get zapped from existence.  :nod:

15/19 I'm disappointed in myself.

18/19 because I faked myself out on the last question.

18 out of 19. More of a geography lesson then anything however, its was geography question that got me (mixed up Bahrain and Qatar). It was only the last five of so questions that were actually a challenge.

Personally, I don't consider anything west of Egypt (Libya, Tunisia, Morocco, etc) as being part of the Middle East. The same goes for anything east of Tehran.

17/19, and I, too, was surprised to see as much of northern Africa as they showed.

18/19, but I have to admit that if it hadn't been multiple choice I wouldn't have done nearly as well.

Just goes to show how much geography the quizmasters in question actually know...North Africa is North Africa...the Middle East is the Middle East...Southwest Asia is Southwest Asia, etc.  Alot of folks equate anything in North or Northeastern Africa or is Saharran/Sub-Saharran and is Muslim, as "Middle East" even when it isn't.  I generally use east of the Suez as the general dividing line, and anything on the Arabian Peninsula - Iran I consider Southwest Asia or the old Asia Minor as it were.  That's just me though - anyone else's thoughts?

MM

Retired AF Guy said:
18 out of 19. More of a geography lesson then anything however, its was geography question that got me (mixed up Bahrain and Qatar).

I did the same thing. It was the only question I got wrong.

Did badly only got 17/19. Just messed up on the North west Africia. Just plain geography, questions weren't really challenging.

19/19 as well.  :bowing:

I have the same reservations about the scope of their map.  The Middle East & Northern Africa are commonly grouped together, even having their own acronym - MENA - but it doesn't usually go as far as Mauritania. 

Eduational, nonetheless.  Enjoying these quizzes - thanks for posting this one, GAP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MENA

GnyHwy said:
That's a pretty progressive site, blasphemy from some Christian's point of view.  I'm expecting them to get zapped from existence.  :nod:

Heh heh  ... I agree, the site is good.  So's the print version.  Just reading up a bit on it - apparently they've won 7 Pulitzers over the years.

At the risk of sidetracking:  seems like most if not all religions have both progressives and reactionaries among its ranks ... and many in the middle....  sometimes the reactionaries seem more vocal or get more press, so we tend to think that's all there are.  Glad to see these posts, as I'd forgotten about the CSM lately and it seems like a relatively well-reasoned source of news to add to the mix. 

19/19 - Morocco as part of the Middle East?  Well, it is the Monitor after all...

I got the "Which modern-day country listed below exists outside of the Fertile Crescent, the region often considered the cradle of civilization?
" I thought it was Iraq, Tigris–Euphrates.. Mesopotamia. Guess not.

Macey said:
I got the "Which modern-day country listed below exists outside of the Fertile Crescent, the region often considered the cradle of civilization?
" I thought it was Iraq, Tigris–Euphrates.. Mesopotamia. Guess not.

Sounds like you might've read the question too fast & looked for countries that were inside the fertile crescent -?  I almost faked myself out on a few of those questions.  It's a good thing they were multiple-choice.

Back