• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thinking About A Ford???

Does anyone know about Pontiacs? My family is thinking about buying a Pontiac Sunfire or Grand Prix, anyone have experience with any of these cars?

GGHG_Cadet said:
Does anyone know about Pontiacs? My family is thinking about buying a Pontiac Sunfire or Grand Prix, anyone have experience with any of these cars?

A friend of mine called Sunfires "Condom Cars", because you use them once, then throw them away.  ;D

From personal experience:

I have completely given up on domestics in the last 10 or 15 years.  In Somalia '93 I witnessed firsthand what a Toyota pickup is capable of in the worst of conditions and very little available repair facilities.  I picked up an '87 about 7yrs ago and drove it as a primary vehicle for 5 yrs without a single breakdown.  I drive a Nissan XTerra now for the extra family room, but the ole flat black bush-basher still stands ready in the driveway.  9er Domestic has gone through two Hondas and is on her second Toyota (Matrix then '04 Sienna).  We had a BRIEF departure to a domestic van and will probably never try that again.

To me the domestic-import debate is a little cloudy given the current situation wrt where they are actually built.  My loyalty lies with reliability and quality.  I am willing to pay a little more up front for a vehicle that will be reliable for many years to come. I've had problems in the past with Jeep, GMC, and Mercury.  So yeah, I freely admit a bias in my vehicle preference.

Ford or not.........I still WANT a new Mustang  ;);D

GGHG_Cadet said:

There is a reason cops call pontiacs "girly cars"; no self respecting man would drive one (that and the only people you really see driving them are girls).

(no offence to any guys that do drive them or anything) ;)

Any cop who calls pontiacs "girly cars" has never had to chase a Pontiac Grand Prix GDP.  Those things are phenomenal.

I had a friend back in High School, his mother drove a 2 door 2000-2001 Grand Prix. He would drive this car now and then when his screaming chicken (82 firebird) was getting fixed. That thing could actually haul ass pretty good. Even performed the odd E brake stand well too. Also, I do not dis Fords. I only dis vehicles that have earned the good reputation of mechanical unreliability. Hell, I drive an 87 Ford Bronco 2 and I like it quite well thank you.

Yup. My '88 F-150 Lariat runs better than a lot of vehicles a quarter of it's age. ;D

48Highlander said:
Any cop who calls pontiacs "girly cars" has never had to chase a Pontiac Grand Prix GDP.   Those things are phenomenal.

hmm.. I spent a semester doing ride alongs with police officers and my family is close friends with a just a couple RCMP members and they all called pretty close to every pontiac a "girly car" (along with a few other types of cars) for the reason that most of the people that drive them are girls. Not because of what is under their hood, but for their image they are seen as a car for high school girls. My sister drove a pontiac sunfire and I'd rate it pretty low on how if felt driving it mainly for the fact that I could not sit in it without my head banging the roof on every bump. That and maybe she just didn't take care of it because it seemed to need an oil change more often than my ford ranger.

And something on fords not being very good, comming from a family full of farmers and a father who does hot shoting and light oilfield all of their work trucks were fords for the reason that most other trucks couldn't handle being worked really hard, pulling heavy loads and going over some pretty rough roads. They would use their chevs or whatever for their "going to town" truck because it was a lot more of a nicer ride.
And I'm not talking about a truck like my 2000 ford ranger. That darn thing seems to get stuck in any kind of weather.

Can't deny it. Ford has and still does make some very good/excellent vehicles.

love to haves for myself include  2005 Mustangs, F 150's of all ages, 60/70 Broncos and anything with a 302 Boss, 351 Cleveland, 428/429 Cobra Jet in it.

HAHAHAHAHA, oh, ummm, that's not very nice.  Although, after hearing some of this, I'm glad I drive a chevy!

Just got back in from the wicket bloody snowstorm we just got slapped with.
The mini (despite it's smaller stature) took it like an SUV. Oo rah

Okay, going back to the whole pontiac thing....Pontiacs are great cars.  I used to drive (and still would if I hadn't inherited the chevy) a 1987 Pontiac Acadian.  The body was too heavy for the smal 4 cyl, but, it was the greatest little thing.  It was great on gas (as are sunfires-base model mind you, and the the larger engines to a point as well), and was built like a frickin tank.  I got rear-ended at an intersection by a small S-10 (some punk with an N, lol), and my car barely moved, and barely had a scratch.  We still have it for my sister next year when she gets her license....that and my parents and I work at a Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, GMC dealership, so I would definitly recommend a Pontiac...but if you get a sunfire, be careful of the colour you pick, some are not so masculine!

1987 Pontiac Acadian.

Aahaha I was driving down the bedford highway the other day and I saw one of those lose their gears on the road
hilarious
absolutely hilarious

God, about 8 years ago my buddy had a 69 Camaro all done up. We pulled to a light on Beaverbank in Sackville when a Chevette pulled alongside. The guys in the Chevette were giving us the spinning wheel sign like "wanna race?" So we took right off, imagine our surprise and laughter when the bastard kept up!!! He had a 350 in that lil Shove-it, I laughed myself to tears....

Oh yeah, the engine is tiny, but they left enough space for an 8....no I haven't done it yet....not worth the time or money, but yeah, they actually have a website (don't remember what it was) for this Chevette and Acadian drag racing club.  I laughed so hard when I saw it, all these little POS's with flames and shit, all with their front ends off the ground when they pull off the line....it was all just so wrong!

If you think that Chevettes with 350's stuffed in them is wrong, try a Volkswagen Beetle with a 454 big block where that puny little air cooled thing use to be.

I drive a Pontiac. A 2000 2 door Grand Prix GT. Nice car. Not really much I've had to do to it. I had to do a complete brake job (brakes were apparently bad when I bought it, I just didn't realize it  :-[), I have a CEL (check engine light) on for the EVAP system showing a leak somewhere, wipers need fixing, as they stick in the up position when on delay. Other than that, it's been regular maintenance items. Oil changes, air and fuel filters, new tires, spark plugs, etc. In the summer of 06, it's getting a turbo kit, new heads, cam, PCM, wheels, pistons/rods, race tranny, suspension upgrade, brake upgrade, the works. Can't wait. It'll run 11's when I'm done with it.

I still have an 84 toyota 4x4 that has been in mine or my dad's posession since 95.  326k, only expense it's cost in the last 2 years was a set of nice tyres and a new exhaust. 

Well in my opinion the bottom line is, some people will have luck with one car and others won't.

For instance, I bought a brand new GMC Sonoma back in '98 and had nothing but problems with it ie; the frame was warped from the factory, the main computer went and the rear-end seized up on me on the way to Sudbury once.
But I know a lot of guys with the same car that have had no problems with it.
So I take what anyone says about their car luck with a grain of salt, I used to work at a factory in Ingersoll that assembled the engine, transmission and various other parts for the Suzuki Vitara and the Chevy Trackers and there  I saw first hand what people do 'quality wize' on Mondays, Tuesdays...well pretty much everyday other than Friday.
Right now i'm looking at a few different vehicles.

All vehicles should stand up like the old mazda b series trucks. I still have a '91 2200 that smokes like an HLVW in the morning but she never let's me down :blotto:

Back