• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

thinking of joining the Navy and I just have a few questions

sjtigers

Inactive
Reaction score
I know some or all of these might have been answered elsewhere.  Sorry for the re-ask if so.

Hi, my name is Jonathan, I am a forty year old guy who is thinking seriously about joining the Navy.  I have a few questions for you all because I could not find exact answers in some of the things I read here and elsewhere.

1. I have a family and I was wondering if the bases having family housing, like they do on the US military bases.  I figured you would not bring your family for basic, obviously, but I was wondering at what point you would be allowed to move them? 

2. I am fairly out of shape, too many desk jobs, but I am working my way back slowly into shape so I am curious if you guys and gals had any specific training program you used? 

3. Does the fact that in the past I had NATO security clearance mean anything?  I got it while living in Britain and had to work in the same department as a Ministry of Defence server.  (it was from 2003)

4. Who do I contact about my former Cadet service, as I have no idea what my ID number was, I served in the Army Cadets for a year and Sea Cadets for a year in the eighties.

Thanks for your help.  I am still not 100% sure I will enlist but it is something I am seriously contemplating.

1.  Yes there is military housing.  Your family will be able to join you after you have completed your Basic Military Training, and perhaps your Trades training, but most likely on your first posting.

2.  There are many topics on physical fitness on this site.  A good read, and I am sure you will find much that will pertain to your situation.

3.  That you had a NATO Security Clearance has little relevance at this time.

4.  There is information in the Cadet Forums on Cadet Service numbers.  If I understand correctly, you probably did not have one.

Thanks George Wallace,

I realized number 2 had been answered after I asked it, very typical really.

I appreciate your quick reply.

Actually the only service number I think I used at Cadets was my SIN but I am not 100% sure.

Doing my math magic:

If you were a cadet, and you're 40 now, and you had to leave cadets no later than 18 years old, and we didn't start using Service numbers until the mid-nineties ... I highly doubt you could have ever possibly had a service number ... and that's what we care about now if you're joining the Navy.

As for your family joining you, here's the general rule for that:

Any training longer than 6 months is considered a posting ... and your family may join you upon your first posting, so it depends on what trade you select and the length of the training for that trade.

i.e. You go on BMQ for 14 weeks then you go on Supply Tech training. The QL3 for Supply is not six months, so you will go to Borden on your own and then your family will join you in your posting after QL3.

i.e. (2) You go on BMQ for 14 weeks then you commence Marine Engineering Mechanic training in Victoria BC ... the Stoker training is WAY more than six months, so your family will all move to Victoria (even if you're going to be posted to Halifax on completion of your training)

Hope this helps!

Otis

Yes Otis it does.

To give further info.  I have a Bachelors degree which means I can go on the direct commission path, I am looking at going in as either a public affairs officer (as I have a communications-journalist background) or and what I would prefer Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface Officer. 

I really loved submarines back in the day, but anything would be ok at this point.

sjtigers said:
Yes Otis it does.

To give further info.  I have a Bachelors degree which means I can go on the direct commission path, I am looking at going in as either a public affairs officer (as I have a communications-journalist background) or and what I would prefer Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface Officer. 

I really loved submarines back in the day, but anything would be ok at this point.

I hope you aren't just joining the CF because the economy is down and you want a steady salary, because that is not a good reason to join.

No that was not the real reason.  I have had a lot of respect for the forces and have in the past wanted to join when I was younger but with the difficulty in getting in and my grades were bad so I thought I would not really have a chance.  On two other occasions I considered it but for various reasons I never decided to take that leap.

Now since I finished my degree last year I have been considering a couple of different steps.  This just came up because I was curious and thought I had no chance of getting in because of my age.  So I had not even thought about seriously until now. 

Also going into this decision is that my wife feels positive about it.  I am not looking specifically for a safe haven from the economy, I am currently employed at the University of Alberta.  Rather it is doing something I wanted to do as young adult and seeing an opportunity to decide.

Just to add:  Not all bases have housing (PMQs) but most of them do.

Otis is partly right; anything over 6 months is considered a posting, however, what your posting message states will determine whether or not your family can accompany you.  For example, the PMed Tech QL5 course is over six months and members are posted but they do not get permission to move HG&E.

I commend you for considering this type of undertaking given your age but this is becoming more and more common. Your questions are valid and very applicable. I think what may help is knowing if you are looking at a hard sea trade or a trade opting for Naval DEU. the reason I ask is that one of your big concerns, understandably is housing. If you opt for a hard sea trade, other than basic, I can almost guarantee your first 10-15 years will be one of two places; Halifax or Esquimalt and both have housing and both are true blue "Navy" communities. If you stick around after 10 years, you can join the rest of us considering what to do when we stand up a northern base. As for the physical fitness thing - I would not be overly concerned given the current CF Express test. I am a relatively inactive 45+ year old and have yet to fail it.
If you opt for hard sea as well, keep in mind, Bos'n and I believe HT are full. All the trades on the Combat Systems side are open as are stoker and electrician.
Good Luck and ask away if there are any more queries. I also suspect if you are interested in one of the severely stressed trades, you might consider a PM to select members of this forum to 'expidite' the enrollment process - not necessarily the 'proper' way but effective nonetheless.

Pat in Halifax said:
......... I also suspect if you are interested in one of the severely stressed trades, you might consider a PM to select members of this forum to 'expidite' the enrollment process - not necessarily the 'proper' way but effective nonetheless.

Pat in Halifax

He stated that he is going to apply as DEO.

As for members being encouraged to PM others, here on this site or elsewhere, to "expidite" their enrollment process;  ::)    The enrollment process will progress at the same pace, no matter who sticks their nose into it.  In fact, it can cause some discontent amongst the 'staff' and a file may become lost if someone tries this.....Not that has ever happened.

Thanks for all of your help.

Yes I was pretty sure I would have a chance of being in Esquimalt or Halifax.  And yes the idea of a Northern base is not exactly a big winner for me, I live in Edmonton that is North enough for me ;).  As well I am grateful for the help and suggestions so far.

If I enter it will be long term, if I need to commit for 9 years I might as well go on beyond. 

PMedMoe said:
Just to add:  Not all bases have housing (PMQs) but most of them do.

Otis is partly right; anything over 6 months is considered a posting, however, what your posting message states will determine whether or not your family can accompany you.  For example, the PMed Tech QL5 course is over six months and members are posted but they do not get permission to move HG&E.

That's the second thing Moe's taught me in the last month! Thanks Moe, I had no idea the PMed course was an exception to the six month rule (but in my defense, as a recruiting topic, we're generally talking about QL3 courses when we're talking about postings vs. taskings vs. deployments vs. training when explaining these things to applicants)

Otis

Nauticus said:
I hope you aren't just joining the CF because the economy is down and you want a steady salary, because that is not a good reason to join.

Nowhere's in his posts does he imply that he is joining due to the fact the economy is down. Even if he was joining due to the fact what business is it of yours? People join for many different reasons, being able to take care of your family with a good salary and benefits is just one of them.

Back