• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

This is why I am too good for grammar (a split thread)

commander

Inactive
Reaction score
recceguy said:
commander,

Perhaps you missed this?

We likely won't be asking again.

Please try set the example that your username implies.

Milnet.ca Staff

Thanks. It's truly depressing at every level that this forum seems to be run by grammar professors, that cannot look past that to the message itself. Your attitudes are no different than the people setting these failed policies for us. I hope you eventually become enlightened or perhaps more open minded and update your "policies". Please cancel and close my account as I will not return. Also, please save the flamming as I will not revisit the site again, no need to annoy honourable existing members with an issue between me and the site. Good luck to everyone and best of luck in all your future endeavours, and i mean that in the sincerest of ways.

commander said:
...seems to be run by grammar professors, that who cannot look past that
  >:D

Also, please save the flamming as I will not revisit the site again....
I can't help but notice you're still online here. Hoping for a "please, please come back  :crybaby:  ?"

there-their-theyre-26253.jpg

commander said:
...no need to annoy honourable existing members with an issue between me and the site....

By having this whole thread dedicated to this user's last words, doesn't that make the above statement null and void?

GhostofJacK said:
By having this whole thread dedicated to this user's last words, doesn't that make the above statement null and void?

That was his wish, not ours.

And the "honourable members" are the site, therefore his comment was nonsensical from the get-go.

I think the Mods should honor commander's request....he'll be back in another iteration.....

GAP said:
I think the Mods should honor honour commander's request....he'll be back in another iteration.....

If we're going to be grammar nazis...

Aww, take your lumps and carry on, everyone on these forums gets hit once in a while!

Dude.  He is using the American spelling.  Odd for a Marine...

You should see the looks I get when I tell people I don't speak American, I speak English. >:D

But it seems it's only when I say "about" that they can tell I'm not one of them.

PPCLI Guy said:
Dude.  He is using the American spelling.  Odd for a Marine...

Hey! Hey! I resemble that ......all that good ol' US of A influence and all......uh,.....what were talking about.?

Edit to add: Odd taken for granted, what was odd...the American spelling, the ability to spell, or just two big words fitted in with a bunch of littler ones?  ;D

cupper said:
But it seems it's only when I say "about" that they can tell I'm not one of them.

Of course you mean a-boot.*

*That of course is the 'correct' south shore Nova Scotia spelling.

I've been a grammar nazi for years! Telling my son, "Don't say um", "Don't say like". He used to drive me crazy. Worst was an older teen asking me, "Do you gots a pen you can borrow me?". Answer: "No, but I HAVE a pen I can LEND you".

Its good to be back in Atlantic Canada where they spell colour, favour, etc correctly. If only I could get away from the western way of pronouncing aunt, and pronounce the "au" properly, and not say ant when I mean aunt!

Cheers -
Hawk

Hawk said:
Its good to be back in Atlantic Canada where they spell colour, favour, etc correctly.

Oh, but I'm sure you're aware there are trade-offs...  ;D

"I says to the other fella..."
"Where ya to?"
"Febuary"
"That's some good"
"I seen it yesterday!"

Occam said:
Oh, but I'm sure you're aware there are trade-offs...  ;D

As long as we're correcting spelling and grammar, you spelled "benefits" wrong.

Hawk said:
I've been a grammar nazi for years! Telling my son, "Don't say um", "Don't say like". He used to drive me crazy. Worst was an older teen asking me, "Do you gots a pen you can borrow me?". Answer: "No, but I HAVE a pen I can LEND you".

Its good to be back in Atlantic Canada where they spell colour, favour, etc correctly. If only I could get away from the western way of pronouncing aunt, and pronounce the "au" properly, and not say ant when I mean aunt!

Cheers -
Hawk

I have one of my young OCdts that uses "like" and "um" all the time and I constantly harassed him about it till the point that he was sick of me saying it. He finished cap this year came in and told me how some one was giving a presentation and every third word was "like" and every time he started a sentence it was with "Um". He thought that it sounded very unprofessional (which it does) and how he was going to try to stop saying it.  :pullhair:

Pat in Halifax said:
Of course you mean a-boot.*
*That of course is the 'correct' south shore Nova Scotia spelling.

That's because when we say out an a-bout we mean boat.

Point taken, Occam! Overheard on the bus today. "His new girlfriend's some pretty". I count that sort of thing as dialect. I've been away from the South Shore for more years than I care to tell you, and it sounds great, even if it is strangling the Queen's English! Hint - I was one of the first females posted to Mill Cove!

Back