• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

This site caught my attention...

crystalrh

Inactive
Reaction score
sorry, didn't mean for the subject to sound spammer-ish!!
Already did a search, didn't find anything, sooo, anyone seen this site at all?
www.notmyprimeminister.ca

While cruising this site... under "Militarism & Foreign Policy" I saw this:
The Harper Government and the War in Afganistan

* Harper’s Conservatives staunchly support the war in Afghanistan despite the increasing violence and human rights violations being perpetrated.
    * According to the United Nations, the number of Afghan civilians killed by Western forces and the Taliban has drastically increased in 2008. In fact, in mid-August a single US airstrike killed 92 civilians, including 60 children.
    * The insurgency in Afghanistan is being spurred by the actions of Canada and its allies. A 2007 Senate Defense committee report explained that “life is clearly more perilous because we are there.” Similarly, when the Globe and Mail interviewed 43 Taliban footsoldiers in Kandahar on their reason for fighting, twelve said their family members had died in US airstrikes and 21 said their poppy fields had been targeted for destruction by anti-drug teams.
    * In May 2007 Harper’s Conservatives were caught denying allegations that Afghan prisoners were tortured before they had investigated these allegations. The allegations of torture were found to be true.
    * A major French TV station caught a Canadian commander in Afghanistan telling villagers: “too bad for you if you don’t want to tell us where the Taliban are hiding. We will come and kill them. We will drop many bombs and fire all over. Is this what you want? Well then continue telling us nothing.”
    * To understand the scope of Canadian military operations, Department of National Defense files made public in February show, “Canadian troops fired nearly 4.7 million bullets at insurgents over the last 20 months in Afghanistan.”

Thoughts?

I'm not one of those Harper Bashers. And I'm not saying he's the greatest, or doing a perfect job, but I think he'd be alot better for our country in the situation we're in than the other candidates. I also don't think this site is very logical. For example, on the homepage it says:
    “Not My Prime Minister” is a non-partisan group of people who have come together to raise awareness about the policies of Stephen Harper’s Conservatives during the 2008 Federal Election and beyond. The group’s main focus is to highlight the policies of the Harper administration, carried out with a minority government, which we believe have been destructive to communities across Canada and the environment we live in.
Which is exactly why he called elections, because the minority government wasn't working!

Another example (The first two points taken from the Military & Foreign Policies part above):
    * Harper’s Conservatives staunchly support the war in Afghanistan despite the increasing violence and human rights violations being perpetrated.
- First, can I ask for some proof? Secondly, hasn't Harper actually IMPROVED these kinds of things? I'm not sure how it is over there in A'stan but it was big news here in Saskatchewan when he visited and implemented some new laws to improve the system.
    * According to the United Nations, the number of Afghan civilians killed by Western forces and the Taliban has drastically increased in 2008. In fact, in mid-August a single US airstrike killed 92 civilians, including 60 children.
- Andd... What does this have to do with Harper?

Sorry for the long post, if I'm wrong in anything I said feel free to mention it and I'll be more than glad to edit. For now its just the way I see things. :)

“Not My Prime Minister” is a non-partisan group of people who have come together to raise awareness about the policies of Stephen Harper’s Conservatives during the 2008 Federal Election and beyond.

...sounds like it, doesn't it?  ???

Did the group split out the cost of operations and actions taken between 2002 and early-2006 under the Liberal government?

I, a card carrying Conservative and regular, month-by-month, contributor (in good times and bad) say: Good for them!

21st century politics is for good or ill, all about leaders. A lot of people are gong to vote Conservative because, in some measure, Stephen Harper is the leader. A lot more are going to vote for other parties - in part because Dion or Duceppe or Layton or even May is leader and, in some measure, because Stephen Harper is not. It is fair, even reasonable, to say, "I oppose pretty much everything for which Stephen Harper stands so I will vote against him - I will vote for the candidate in my riding who is most likely to defeat the Conservative candidate." It is also their democratic right to do that - a right for which Canadian sailors, soldiers and aviators have fought and died and are, right now, willing to fight and die to allow others, Afghans, to have the same right.

You and I may not agree with what they say but it is healthy, for democracy, that they are out here saying it. It beats either stay-at-home apathy or anarchist bomb throwing any and every day.

>“Not My Prime Minister” is a non-partisan group of people

That's about as likely as "Prime Minister May" on 15 Oct 2008.  People don't tend to come together in organized political activity unless they are partisan.  A truthful description is probably: "multi-partisan, except for Conservative".  In short, the usual broad front.

Add: the fact in Canada is, that after every federal election, the PM is "not my prime minister" for about 60-65% of the population.

E.R. Campbell - I agree with you completely. BUT. When a website is feeding people bullshit like "policies of the Harper administration, carried out with a minority government, which we believe have been destructive to communities across Canada and the environment we live in." I've got a problem with that. In reality, it was our fault - as voters - that we had a minority government. So when the website complains about it, make it look like its Harper's fault, etc etc, they are just asking for another minority government, and the cycle continues.

I hate to break it to these guys but unless they are not Canadian, Stephen Harper is presently and quite possibly (hopefully) will remain THIER Prime Minister regardless of if they like him or not.

Correct, we as voters,  are to blame for the present government in power. If we don't like it, we should'nt just up and sound off at that party, but ourselves and correct that problem in the next election.  Smack yourselves, not the guy trying to make the difference in Ottawa. 
IIRC, The Liberals were the ones that got us into Afghanistan, then bitched and complained about being there when the Conservatives got in.  Confused yet??!! Then again, I usually am after listening to Msr. Dion.  ::)
Personally, I know how I'm going to vote this time and have a clear conscience about it.  I will be voting for a leader, not some mouth piece who bitches and complains about the other guy.

2cents.gif

crystalrh said:
E.R. Campbell - I agree with you completely. BUT. When a website is feeding people bullshit like "policies of the Harper administration, carried out with a minority government, which we believe have been destructive to communities across Canada and the environment we live in." I've got a problem with that. In reality, it was our fault - as voters - that we had a minority government. So when the website complains about it, make it look like its Harper's fault, etc etc, they are just asking for another minority government, and the cycle continues.

The web sites of the BQ, Greens, Liberals and NDP all say pretty much the same things because a lot of people, probably most Canadians, actually think Harper is just a step or two removed from being the Great Satan. All's fair, pretty much, in politics - if Harper objects to being called a liar and thief and baby-killer then he picked the wrong career field.

According to the United Nations, the number of Afghan civilians killed by Western forces and the Taliban has drastically increased in 2008. In fact, in mid-August a single US airstrike killed 92 civilians, including 60 children.

Doesn't what is in red say it all?

Klinkaroo said:
According to the United Nations, the number of Afghan civilians killed by Western forces and the Taliban has drastically increased in 2008. In fact, in mid-August a single US airstrike killed 92 civilians, including 60 children.

Doesn't what is in red say it all?

Ummm?  That we are Americans?

Or maybe this online effort is backed by some with anti-American views?

Agreed again, ER Campbell. And of course they're going to say that about him. He's Prime Minister. There's upcoming elections. He's not worried about anything else, though everyone else is worried about him. He's only put out advertisements bashing the liberals. But I've seen advertisements from almost all other parties bashing him. I haven't seen any ads against the NDP or the green party. So, that said, people already know Harper will likely be back as PM. Just a matter of it being minority or not.

Back