• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thoughts on deployment/rotation length & HLTA

My mom is american, and I was at one point urged to join the US army. Talking to the recruiter he said people can extend their tours if they wish (this was before the 15 month tours I think).

Maybe the CF could let some people stay deployed for 1-2 years at a time to establish themselves in communities, as well as help mentor new troops. I'm not sure how popular that would be but its just my 2 cents.

FYI US troops can still extend -- I have a few buddies that are trying to extend currently -- they did a year+ in Afghan and are looking to entend for 6+ month in Iraq with a different unit.

15 months too long IMHO, although increasing ours to 9 - 12 months does make sense and something I have been voicing around my neck of the woods for a while now.  With the month it takes to get use to your AOR, or the last month trying to focus on doing your job your effective for 4 months, throw in a block leave in there that takes out almost a month.  Personally and I can only speak for myself on this I wouldn't mind the 9 - 12 month long deployment.  I acknowledge that it would be harder on family during deployment but it would increase times between deployment for a "more normal" family/military life.  The general does make a valid point about knowing your AOR and the people in it better.  The extra time would also allow more detailed aid/civic improvements to be fullfiled during your stay.

My 2Cents

:salute:

Interesting comments on monies and authorities to spend said monies. 

We should bear in mind that it looks like he was speaking in generalities with respect to training etc. 

The Canadian HQ has had a nine-month tour length for some time.  While I take the NGO's point I don't remember any aid workers out in the villages giving briefings to new commanders.  Still, tour length is a good debate and I'm not sure where I sit anymore.

What are the current USMC tour lengths? 

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but we should be careful comparing regions in Afghanistan.

Tango2Bravo said:
I've mentioned it elsewhere, but we should be careful comparing regions in Afghanistan.

I didn't mention that in my earlier post but I agree that he should be very carefull in comparing regions in Afghanistan.  Depending on the AOR it is apples and oranges.  Although his comment about other NATO countries not being as well endowed struck my funny bone.

I do understand that elements of Canadians are now on 9 month tours,  I would just like to see it BG wide and but also have a good look at making it 12 months with the caveat about not having tour rotations happening all at the same time. 

Also as mentioned earlier about no more HLTA is another valid point, it may seem harder on the surface but the tools are in place now for not taking HLTA and being compensated.  And from experience there are many who get out of a "game frame" of mind when HLTA is around the corner or when they just get back have to adjust again to being in country.  Not saying that happens to all mind you but enough that it could and does affect a sub units ability to focus on the task at hand. 

again my 2Cents

I think Canada should seriously consider at least a 9 month tour, if not 12.....for the above reasons  about AOR, etc.

I did a 13 month tour, took leave and then a six month extension, a month leave, and a second extention....that was the max you could do without a year back in the states.....

I found I was far more effective the last six months of my tour and during my extensions than I was in the early parts....maybe I'm just a slow learner.... ;D

What are the current USMC tour lengths?  

Yes, not mentioned in the article is the fact that Marine tour lengths are normally also six months, a point that I've used before to silence US Army detractors.

JTF A HQ is nine months, battle group is six, but some positions (CO PRT for example) requiring extensive interaction with the Afghans are now year-long postings.

I'm getting ready to deploy on a 9+ month stint....I'll give you my opinion on this subject sometime around end Feb '09  ;D

The next rotation will have a longer tour.  There is an off season in Afghanistan and the rotations are being worked so that eventually handovers will occur at that time. 
So we factor in a year plus of work up then another 9 overseas.  Thanks but no thanks.

The year plus is another (seperate) issue that needs to be addressed.

You may be correct however it should not be discounted when considering longer deployments.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Yes, not mentioned in the article is the fact that Marine tour lengths are normally also six months, a point that I've used before to silence US Army detractors.

JTF A HQ is nine months, battle group is six, but some positions (CO PRT for example) requiring extensive interaction with the Afghans are now year-long postings.

US Marine Corps operational tours in Iraq and Afghanistan are roughly 7 months actually (usually extending slightly past 28 weeks in theatre).

I too think that 6 month tours (with HLTA) are too short.  Can HLTA and extend to 9 months.  Then give a nice chunk of leave (30 days or so) upon returning to Canada.

Infidel-6 said:
FYI -- I would suggest a 9-12 month tour with no HLTA.
  I know it may suck for the time but...

If I where Emperor of Canada  ;D  -- I'd be running TWO CF Btl Groups -- 12 months in lenght - with the rotation between the two staggered at the 6 month period -- so the new TF can be somewhat mentored/supported by the other in theatre.  Bde staff would do 14 month deployment rotated throughout the time with a one month overlap for the incoming positions.

I-6 is right, the second battle-group needed in Kandahar should be Canadian. The former MND said, back in 2006, that we were going to recruit and train 13,000 more people by 2010. How far along are we, as we approach the half way point? When will we be able to deploy two battle-groups for, say, 10 month overlapping tours (with HLTA, I'm sorry to say)? After all we claim to have nine battalions of infantry and three each regiments of armour, artillery and engineers - and I'm pretty sure we have 18 regiment/battalion HQs complete with COs, Adjts, RSMs, QMs and Chief Clerks.

As under strengthed as we are I wonder how longer tours with less leave would effect retention?

I would think that the longer time between roto's would enhance the retention....if you are going to go, go, get back and not have to rotate again in a year.....

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Hard to say really.  Troops are fickle these days. 

Its not that they are fickle.  Its that they hear one story about what a great place the CF is to work, which it is, but its a bit of a culture shock from civi street and many of them arent paying attention to the part about extended tours.  Plus, the increasing number of those that come in already married are going to get a shock when the missus says 'see'ya' after they are gone for 12 months with no HLTA.

I know many troops got out after they got back -- since they where stuck in garrision and bored to tears.

Look at several of our esteemed members still in who are chomping at the bit to get back...

Back