• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thoughts on Rum Rations & Field Smokers (From:

M

MikeL

Old EO Tech said:
I will say that Rum Rations authorized by CO's/Comds are seemingly making a come back as are large "smokers".  I took part in both this spring as part of Ex PR/MR, and frankly having served since the 80's, I never thought I'd see either....so things can change for the better.

How are rum rations and smokers coming back a change for the better?

I've been on 2-3 exercises that had smokers;  while they were nice, I think most people would have been fine with waiting another couple days/another month until they were home if they wanted a drink.  As always, there will be those people who get carried away with the drinking and vomit all over the place, and will be a write off for a portion of the next day.

But, without alcohol in the field, I guess we wouldn't get stories like a Cpl vomiting on a officer's bivvy bag/cot - No, that person wasn't me for those wondering  :D

-Skeletor- said:

I've been on 2 exercises that had smokers (both during work up training in '07);  while they were nice I guess I think most people would have been fine with waiting another couple days/another month until they were home if they wanted a drink.  As always, there will be those people who get carried away with the drinking and vomit all over the place, and will be a write off for a portion of the next day.

I think you are one of the many who do not truly appreciate the significance of the Mess and functions like Smokers.  I ran into many who would prefer to go back to their room in the Shack or go home and sit alone with their bar fridge.  I believe that that type of person would be facing more mental problems down the road, than those who shared their experiences while enjoying camaraderie at a unit function, be it in the Field or the Mess.  Those functions serve more as 'destressers'  more often than the"go home and stew" idea.

George Wallace said:
I think you are one of the many who do not truly appreciate the significance of the Mess and functions like Smokers.  I ran into many who would prefer to go back to their room in the Shack or go home and sit alone with their bar fridge.  I believe that that type of person would be facing more mental problems down the road, than those who shared their experiences while enjoying camaraderie at a unit function, be it in the Field or the Mess.  Those functions serve more as 'destressers'  more often than the"go home and stew" idea.

I have nothing against smokers,  unit functions or against sharing experiences/camaraderie at said functions.  As well, I have partaken in them - both in the field and BBQ/beers after a BFT before being released for a long weekend, etc. 

As mentioned before, my experience with field smokers is limited as I've only been on 2-3 exercises that had them, out of the numerous more that did not.  My post was more directed at the rum rations/alcohol in the field; for that, I am more neutral, as I don't see that as either a sign of a change for the better(or worse).

We had unofficial rum rations where the WO came around and poured people a shot of rum, all coming out of his own pocket. It was gesture of caring for his men and a way of checking up on everyone on the field ex.

-Skeletor- said:
We used to have them years ago. They foster a sense of camaraderie, and a sense of belonging. Yep, they have turned into "low ground"  sessions, however, when all was said and done the air was cleared, and we soldiered on.
:warstory:
In fact a former CO.....who shall remain nameless....took up the invite from one of his subbies to a session in the low ground.

Said subbie looked like a raccoon the next day.

Jim Seggie said:
We used to have them years ago. They foster a sense of camaraderie, and a sense of belonging. Yep, they have turned into "low ground"  sessions, however, when all was said and done the air was cleared, and we soldiered on.
:warstory:
In fact a former CO.....who shall remain nameless....took up the invite from one of his subbies to a session in the low ground.

Said subbie looked like a raccoon the next day.

What did the CO look like the next day? Or was he 'at brigade'  ;D

RoyalDrew said:
Niner Domestic; however, was most likely losing her s***  ;D

Niner Domestic never found out. This happened in Wainwright in about 79 or 80.

Larger and more 'formal' events were always less effective than pulling out a couple of cases of beer after an exercise and BSing with the troops. They should leave these events where they belong: within the realm of a Nelsonian blind eye. Anything else should probably be managed within the envelope of the approved messes IMHO.

daftandbarmy said:
Larger and more 'formal' events were always less effective than pulling out a couple of cases of beer after an exercise and BSing with the troops.

I agree and would have preferred smokers to occur while still in the field.  When I was at Fd Amb, it was always done after we'd gotten back in.  We'd work like mad to get stuff unpacked, sorted, hanging to dry, etc and then have to attend a BBQ or pizza party (often without the benefit of alcoholic beverages).  It sucked because that's when everyone wanted to get the hell out of Dodge and away from people they'd been stuck with all week.

Two incidences come to mind: a BBQ with the flying kitchens set up in the compound (but they couldn't accompany us to the field); and a pizza party where the first people lined up for food were the cleaners and the rear party.  ::)

Well, from 1RCR in the early & mid 80's: we always had a BBQ and-or smoker in the field after end-ex, usually a few days before heading home (when most gear was packed & ready to go); Pet, Ipperwash, Norway, Wainwright (after RV's), etc, etc, etc. Sure there were sometimes a couple games of 'smack-face'. But I saw that downtown in London, Pembrook, Hull, Ottawa, Hull, Halifax, Oromocto, etc etc with military troops. Personally, I thought smokers were great moral boosters & stress relievers before heading back to home base. Have great memories of some good smokers. I retired in 06 out of Ggetown & (real) smokers were pretty much gone the way of the Dodo in my opinion. But probably just the sign of the times....

I don't like being stuck at smokers when I could otherwise be at home, range or gym but they do have some beneficial applications in my opinion.

Singling soldiers out and letting them know that you noticed how hard they worked or how great of a job they did.  I find one-on-one "good job dude" chats are sincere than when cpl X gets singled out in front of a large crowd (which at times feels staged).

Giving your boss (or someone higher in the chain of command) some tactful 1 on 1 feedback.

Making connections with other elements (say chatting up signalers or maintainers)

Getting legitimate feed back from people or hearing about problems you might be unaware of (learned about a guys alcohol dependence this way and got him some help)

ObedientiaZelum said:
Getting legitimate feed back from people or hearing about problems you might be unaware of (learned about a guys alcohol dependence this way and got him some help)

Another sign of 'changing times' IMO.  BZ on the yellow part. 

Inviting a group that was attached to your unit during the exercise to join in can be a good way to build connections with other units as well.

Absolutely! to the above.
In addition, it is a safe environment when done in the field - the afternoon before redeploying. You can control what happens and get ppl the appropriate rest/recovery/treatment before they get on the road for home and some husband/wife/gf/bf notices the fresh wounds and starts bitching to the Bde Comd ;-)

The best one by far was a surprise - on a course ex in Chilcotin - we still thought we had another day of mine laying, trench digging and skirmishes with the opfor when, during a pl attack on a abandoned house, end-ex was called and we were told to go around the back for debrief; then we noticed the chickens being let loose - there's your dinner! - the bbq's smoking and the coolers coming out of the 5/4 ton...

(maybe it was different, but that's how I remember it :) )

Chimo!

Quite possibly the worst example of the 'forced fun smoker' was after a month long exercise, endex was called, all kit was cleaned and returned, everything accounted for by 1600.....then they literally locked the gates, fired up the grills, and made everyone stay overnight and get 'high-spirited'.

Of course the end result was the complete opposite: everyone was pissed off that they were shouting distance from their homes, which they hadn't seen in a month, yet were being forced to hang around for an extra 12 hours in cadpat just so the CO could feel good about himself and imagine himself some leader of a great warrior tribe feasting and swilling mead after a good days battle, when the reality was 300 stone cold sober, grumpy, individuals, a handful of do-or-die alcoholics and a mood that you would imagine being similar to Stalag-Luft III at Christmas.

Well my recent experience is all positive, like people have said you get to have a few beers with all the people from other units that are attached to you that you don't normally see at work.  And yes you may get the chance to informally give feedback to senor leadership :p

Old EO Tech said:
Well my recent experience is all positive, like people have said you get to have a few beers with all the people from other units that are attached to you that you don't normally see at work.  And yes you may get the chance to informally give feedback to senor leadership :p

That is because you are in 1 CMBG....

Back