• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Three G4S guards killed, one wounded in Edmonton robbery

A new update on Cpl Schuman from the CBC...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2013/03/04/edmonton-schuman-university-heist-survivor.html

Fucking A! Keep it up.

That began the long, difficult struggle to accept what happened. He's asked himself "Why me?" over and over. "How did I live and no one else did?"

Now, he said, "it's just trying to have a good life for Brian, Michelle and Eddie — for their memory."

That has got to f' you up.

HOpe his emotional recovery goes just as well as his physical recovery. :salute:

cupper said:
That has got to f' you up.

HOpe his emotional recovery goes just as well as his physical recovery. :salute:

It definitely does, "survivor guilt" can be a huge part of post-traumatic stress, especially if you're the only survivor. It's unfortunate the robbers weren't wounded (or worse) as well. I hope they enjoy their lengthy prison term, especially the other G4S guard who was involved. My condolesces to the familys of the deceased, and I hope Cpl Schuman is recovering well!  :salute:

Bump with the latest ....
An Edmonton man charged in a bloody armoured car heist at the University of Alberta is to appear in an Edmonton courtroom today for the start of a week-long murder trial.

Former G4S guard Travis Baumgartner is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of three of his co-workers and attempted murder in the serious wounding of a fourth.

An overnight crew of five armed guards was reloading ATM machines on the university campus in June 2012 when shots rang out.

When the shooting stopped, 26-year-old Michelle Shegelski, 35-year-old Brian Ilesic and 39-year-old Eddie Rejano lay dead.

Matthew Schuman, who was 25, was rushed to hospital and miraculously survived a bullet to the head ....
The Canadian Press, 9 Sept 13

He plead Guilty.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2013/09/09/edmonton-baumgartner-trial-starts.html

Shame that capital punishment is off the books.  This turd is so deserving of that sentence.

...and gets life with no parole for 40 years.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/baumgartner-gets-life-with-no-parole-for-40-years-harshest-punishment-in-decades-1.1449611

A bit of follow-up ....
A union representing 2,000 armoured car workers across Canada is calling for a federal government task force to study the industry and develop better safety regulations for workers.

Bill Murnighan, research director for Unifor, said this week’s trial and sentencing of triple-murderer Travis Baumgartner, a trainee armed guard with G4S Cash Solutions who gunned down his four co-workers last summer, has shown the public how little oversight there is for Canada’s armoured car industry, made up of private, for-profit security companies.

Baumgartner killed Michelle Shegelski, Edgardo “Eddie” Rejano and Brian Ilesic, and left Matthew Schuman with serious brain injuries. He was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison with no chance of parole for 40 years.

“When people realize someone with minimal training and minimal background checks is handed a high powered weapon and put on the street, it makes people think,” Murnighan said.

Unifor, formed Sept. 2 by delegates from the former Canadian Auto Workers and Communications Energy and Paperworkers’ Union, is calling on Ottawa to establish a task force on the armoured car industry.

In a letter sent Thursday to Minister of Public Safety Steven Blaney, Unifor president Jerry Dias said the lack of comprehensive industry regulation is increasingly putting public safety and the safety of armoured car employees in jeopardy ....
Edmonton Journal, 12 Sept 13

Back