• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tim Hortons in Theatre Merged Thread (in AFG, no plans to preposition)

Franko said:
Personal Messge    ::)

Sorry, not quite as "net savvy" as I once was

But at least I still use my DOS commands  ;D

Jantor said:
Maybe roll up the rim and win a G-wagon with 22 inch spinners and a chrome .50 cal.  ;D

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73915&page=2&highlight=Horton%27s+Kandahar

camochick said:
If you really want to show your support you can email Tim Hortons at   customer_service@timhortons.com .
I think it would be nice to have a Tim Hortons over there. A taste of home might go a long way when it comes to boosting morale.

Maybe now that they're on thier way (according to all reports anyways) all those that encouraged them to go over (or sent them a complaint about how they weren't supporting thier troops) can send them a thanks!

Email for customer service is above...

;)

Now i wonder if they will make a pit stop at TSE - CM  ???  Beats going to starbucks and paid $5.00 US for a cup of Java

BTW: ref: <<PM>>.  It is no longer forbidden to mentioned Camp Mirage since an article appeared just recently in The Maple Leaf 22 feb 06 vol 9 no. 8 on page 10.  The OPSEC issues are with the location of the camp that’s all.  :warstory:

Stumbled on this last night on cbc.ca.  Just about fell out of my chair laughing.  The article has disappered from the website today, but really, every one here needs to see this.

I was wondering what everyone else thinks about it.  Could be a good morale booster...then again, could be problems with cranky soldiers if the shipment of coffee is delayed for some reason. 

I wanna see the line-up of LAVs outside the drive-through every morning.

Tim Hortons to open in Kandahar
Last Updated Wed, 08 Mar 2006 19:48:39 EST
CBC News

Tim Hortons officials say they will open a store at the Kandahar military airfield in Afghanistan within the next few months.

Canadian soldiers have reportedly been lobbying for weeks for the move. Their requests were passed on to Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Rick Hillier, who passed the message on to the company.

In a news release issued Wednesday, Tim Hortons says it will convert a trailer and deliver it to the Canadian Forces for use in Afghanistan. Military personnel will be able to purchase selected baked goods and beverages, including coffee.

The Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency, the morale and welfare arm of the Canadian Forces, will be responsible for staffing and training, and also for operation of the trailer.

"I know I speak for all the men and women of the Canadian Forces when I say that I'm delighted to hear this news," Gen. Hillier said in the news release.

"Opening a Tim Hortons to serve our troops in Afghanistan strengthens an already superb relationship between two great Canadian institutions. I would like to thank Tim Hortons for their endless support of the Canadian Forces over the years."

Former police officer Ron Joyce co-founded the famous chain in Hamilton in 1964 with the late NHL hockey player, Tim Horton.

In 1995, Tim Hortons merged with U.S.-based Wendy's International and became a wholly-owned subsidiary of the fast-food burger chain.

Wendy's announced earlier this month that it had stepped up plans to spin off Tim Hortons, saying it will sell its remaining stake in the popular coffee and doughnut chain by the end of the year.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/03/08/20060308-timmys.html

meg said:
In a news release issued Wednesday, Tim Hortons says it will convert a trailer and deliver it to the Canadian Forces for use in Afghanistan. Military personnel will be able to purchase selected baked goods and beverages, including coffee.

The Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency, the morale and welfare arm of the Canadian Forces, will be responsible for staffing and training, and also for operation of the trailer.

Sure when the flights get in...

So CFPSA is running it.....so then is the Tim's going to be free?

Armymedic said:
Sure when the flights get in...

So CFPSA is running it.....so then is the Tim's going to be free?

Not likely ::), but you can probably imagine that all the freebies that Timmies used to send over will now dry up. CANEX won't want to risk the competition. ;) If you want a Timmie's, you'll have to buy it from them. Just my guess though.

recceguy said:
Not likely ::), but you can probably imagine that all the freebies that Timmies used to send over will now dry up. CANEX won't want to risk the competition. ;) If you want a Timmie's, you'll have to buy it from them. Just my guess though.

not all of them I'm sure.... unless they start opening them on ships etc.. I'm sure there will still be some donations... (okay.. wishfull thinking..) hopefully it wont stop, but I'm sure they will scale back the amount of free coffee etc...

cheers
  Josh

As quoted in the CBC report "opening a Tim Hortons to serve our troops in Afghanistan strengthens an already superb relationship between two great Canadian institutions."
That kind of cracks me up. Let's start a new battalion "Tim's Own Service Battalion" I wanna see the cap brass for that. ;D

GonzoK83 said:
Let's start a new battalion "Tim's Own Service Battalion" I wanna see the cap brass for that. ;D

Who cares about cap brass. More importantly, would they get a tan beret?

Apparently doughnuts and the war effort have gone hand and hand for a while.

In August, 1917, fighting raged near Montiers, France, as soldiers huddled in camp - hungry, weary and drenched by 36 consecutive days of rain. In a tent near the front lines, Salvation Army lassies made donuts by filling a refuge pail with oil, made dough with left over flour and other ingredients on hand, and used a wine bottle as a rolling pin. With a baking powder tin for a cutter end a camphor-ice suck tube for making the holes, donuts were fried - seven at a time - in soldier's steel helmets on an 18-inch stove. (Later, a seven-pound shell fitted with a one-pound shell was used to cut out the donut holes.)
Rain fell continuously, the water-soaked tent finally Collapsed. However, the 100 donuts made that first day were an immediate success Soon, as many as 500 soldiers stood in muck outside the resurrected tent waiting for the sweet taste of donuts and, before long, 9,000 donuts were being made around the clock. The tent became the first 24-hour donut shop.

http://home.comcast.net/~osoono/ethnicdoughs/doughnut/WW1-donuts.jpg&im

Reply received from Tim Horton's regarding thank you note I sent.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your positive
feedback to the Afghanistan issue.
We certainly are pleased to read and hear how our new and latest  press
release has gained approval
. I have forwarded your kind words to our
Marketing department.

Thank you again for your thoughtful comments,

Yours Truly,

Sonia
THE TDL GROUP CORP.,

I pointed out to them that it was not their " new and latest  press
release
" that gained approval, but their actions.

In somewhat related news...

Lawyer seeks DNA test on coffee cup
Mar. 14, 2006. 01:00 AM
DENE MOORE
CANADIAN PRESS

MONTREAL—A Montreal lawyer wants a DNA test on a prize-winning Tim Hortons coffee cup that has already pitted two elementary school girls against one another.

Claude Archambault said his client bought the coffee cup that was picked out of the garbage bin by a 10-year-old girl in St-Jerome, north of Montreal.

Archambault sent a letter to Tim Hortons last week asking the company not to award the prize SUV until the matter is resolved. "He's very sympathetic toward the girls who found the cup, but he said, `I bought it, and I should be the one who should be paid.' That's his position."

The company has not yet responded to Archambault's letter.

Archambault said there is a witness who saw his client with the cup but he would like a DNA test.

"That, I think, is ridiculous," said David Lametti, a law professor at McGill University. "You might make a claim of ongoing ownership if you lose something ... but this was thrown away, it was abandoned."

And under Quebec civil law, when a person abandons an object he relinquishes his claim, he said.

It's the second dispute over the cup.

According to media reports, the 10-year-old who plucked it from the garbage can last Tuesday couldn't unroll the rim with her small fingers and asked for help from a 12-year-old school mate. When the cup turned out to be a winner, one of 30 with Toyota RAV4 written under the rim, a dispute erupted over who had claim to the $28,700 prize.

In Sault Ste. Marie, Manuela Phillips and Kristine Dahlmann had shared free doughnuts and coffees in the past, but were shocked when Dahlman unrolled the big win Thursday: a Toyota RAV4. They had agreed to share the prize.

Yeah I seen that on the news. Once again "lottery  syndrome". Companies should have safe gaurds in place incase of disputes such as these. If I was up against somthing like this I would just give in. Cause the time lawyers and court time adds up, the winningare depreciated. Either that or have them pit up and a galdiator arena. :crybaby:

Back