• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Time length to become an officer when starting from scratch (pte.)

dinni33

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello! I am curious to know how long does it take for a soldier to become an officer when he starts all the way from private in Regular force. Also, how long does it take to become a WO in regular force from scratch? Thus, could you please tell me how the structure follows to become an officer: Private, Corporal, Master Corporal, Captain, Sergeant, Major, 2nd lieutenant, 1st lieutenant, Brigadier, General. Alas, my intensions are to become a high ranking officer; A few old mates told me to accept the officer program after I become a WO is there any truth to this (due to the recognition so that u can get promoted with ease) or should I take the officer program after Master Corporal. Thus I intend to get into Infantry (Reg) what is the difference between PPCLI and the Rangers?

Many Thanks lads; keep up the good work mates.

P.s. my recruiter told me that the military will send you to university (when the time is ripe) and that they will pay for it. Such be the case I was wondering does this still hold true if I were to take a distance education program say, in computer science, via the Internet and would the military still recognise this for my long term goals in-order to be a high ranking officer.

spend some time and read through this web sight, i think you will find the answers to all those questions
www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/home/index_e.aspx?bhcp=1

There isn't a set amount of time for promotions. It all depends on merit and what trade you're in. Some trades get promoted faster than others and it also depends on what openings there are for each rank. For example you could be in the military for 20 years and only make Corporal or Master Corporal and some one else in for the same time could get a higher rank. Usually though the military tends to give the higher ranks to people who are going to be around for a while. If you want to be an officer though you can always apply to be one right from the start.

dinni33 said:
what is the difference between PPCLI and the Rangers?

Are you talking about the US army Rangers or ? 

If you mean the army rangers in US then the diff is the country, and also the small idea that the rangers are a specialized team that is not basic military involvements.  But if you mean some other rangers then I can say that PPCLI is just like all other regiments for the infantry, it just has the LI name in it, this i was told by many people on this site.

good luck with your information searching!! :salute: :cdn:

Just a question, don't want to open a new topic.

Is Master WO is = Sgt Major?!

Not sure how much of this is in the other threads.. but that's not how the rank structure works at all....

NCMs(Air and Army):
Private, Corporal, Master Corporal, Sergeant, Warrant Officer, Master Warrant Officer, Chief Warrant Officer.

Officers (Air and Army):
Officer Cadet, 2Lt, Lt, Captain, Major, Lt Colonel, Colonel, Brigadier General, Major General, Lt General, General

Navy ranks have different names... not going to bother posting them since you don't seem to be interested in that.

May I ask why you don't wish to become an officer right away? Not that there's anything wrong with going through the ranks. If your end goal is to become an officer though, why not do that?

Maybe it could be education, like me I cant go into Officer right away because I dont even have grade 12 yet, but I thought you need at least that, I may be wrong. :salute: :cdn:

Thanks a lot mates. I sincerely appreciate all the answers supplied in the above thread. Honestly speaking I am not interested in pursuing a degree right now (not to mention I have had a taste of college life and disgusted it); and that is one of the criteria in order to become an officer. Thus I have been told that if you start from scratch your men will follow you with ease and respect you because you have empathy towards them as you once were in their shoes before becoming an officer. Back during the cold war, when the US army needed officers they accept them unconditionally off the bat, so to speak and that meant you did not need to have a degree in order to be an officer. Is there any way around here in Canada where you can beat the bush in order to become an officer with out a degree but rather with some post secondary experience?. Also Ender57 Could you be more specific in where an individual would have more potential in becoming an officer faster (such as the Infantry or Artillery). Furthermore, I have been told that a number of officers are retiring in the next few years and if this holds true then the officers at the bottom of the pyramid will have the opportunity to crawl up the ladder. Which also means that there is going to be immense competition and a set criterion for who ever that is applying for that positing.  What are the typical criteria for an individual to get promoted other than earning your high commanders â Å“Good Gracesâ ?.  Thus I was trying to research what the following position after chief warrant officer, unfortunately for some reason only a hand picked few officers go beyond this position to become true unique officers.  The last time I visited the recruiting officer I was told that if I selected a trade say, under water diver/welder that they will pay be a signup bonus because we are scarce in this populous and that we are forced to import other bodies from over seize and that's hampering out budget. How true is this? Because many other individuals says it's a scheme to get young individuals in and that there is no benefit for the individual other than keeping away from trouble at bay. Thus, if this holds true, I will be paying twice as much in my T4 declaration at the end of the year so either way it's a â Å“Loss, lossâ ? situation. The other day I was having an argument with a close NCM about payment. He was saying that we get paid in a lump sum at the end of the contract; and I was arguing out that we get paid at the end of each and every month after all as the Queens militia we have expenses of our own and we need the capital. Could you please clarify me on this account and the above accounts.  Any help with the above Questions will deeply be appreciated.

P.s One last question LOL before drifting away into left field. Yesterday I was looking at a few articles on Army.ca about laser surgery with respect to the US marines. Such be the case I know if I did take laser surgery I will be limited solely for the Army, Navy and RCMP, VPD. Which is a proven fact due to military codes; how would this affect if I wanted to become a sniper (as I have a passion) but lack the 20/20 vision gravely. My only option is to take laser surgery or insert that lense into the eye. What is the Canadian military policy about having cosmetic eye surgery and being a sniper? 

yot said:
Is Master WO is = Sgt Major?!

If I read this correctly.  Master Warrant Officer (MWO) is a rank.  Company Sargeant Major (CSM) is a position like Officer Commanding (OC).  CSM can be abbreviated to Sargeant Major.

Usually  but not always, a CSM hold the rank of MWO.

dinni33 said:
Thanks a lot mates. I sincerely appreciate all the answers supplied in the above thread. Honestly speaking I am not interested in pursuing a degree right now (not to mention I have had a taste of college life and disgusted it); and that is one of the criteria in order to become an officer.

If you want to pursue a career as an officer in the Canadian Forces, you must have, or be ready to acquire a university degree.

dinni33 said:
Thus I have been told that if you start from scratch your men will follow you with ease and respect you because you have empathy towards them as you once were in their shoes before becoming an officer.

See the thread "Up From the Ranks", it includes a fairly lengthy debate on the potential merits of this type of career path, and alternatives. --  http://army.ca/forums/threads/18201.0.html

dinni33 said:
Back during the cold war, when the US army needed officers they accept them unconditionally off the bat, so to speak and that meant you did not need to have a degree in order to be an officer. Is there any way around here in Canada where you can beat the bush in order to become an officer with out a degree but rather with some post secondary experience?.

No.

dinni33 said:
Also Ender57 Could you be more specific in where an individual would have more potential in becoming an officer faster (such as the Infantry or Artillery).

There are basic minimum times in rank that are the same for all officer classifications (i.e., trades). The primary thing that may limit the general progress of large numbers of of officers in a trade is if that trade is overborne (i.e., has too many personnel) and spaces for advancement just aren't opening up quickly.

dinni33 said:
Furthermore, I have been told that a number of officers are retiring in the next few years and if this holds true then the officers at the bottom of the pyramid will have the opportunity to crawl up the ladder. Which also means that there is going to be immense competition and a set criterion for who ever that is applying for that positing.  What are the typical criteria for an individual to get promoted other than earning your high commanders â Å“Good Gracesâ ?.

There is a possibility of various trades seeing somewhat higher than average release rates within the next decade. This is simply a natural progression from our last big officer recruiting push in the early 80s, many of whom are now reaching the 20 and 25 year points where they may consider retiring for various personal reasons. Quality control within the branches and corps will not be lowered simply to fill holes, nor can people automatically expect to be accelerated in their promotions. A balance of performance and potential will remain the basic criteria against which all personnel are assessed for promotion prospects.

dinni33 said:
Thus I was trying to research what the following position after chief warrant officer, unfortunately for some reason only a hand picked few officers go beyond this position to become true unique officers.

Most NCOs who take their commissions as Master Warrant Officers or Chief Warrant Officers are commissioned as Captains. At that point in their careers, most do not have the years of service left (a "potential" factor) to expect great chances of promotion past that rank. It does happen, but there are no guarantees.

dinni33 said:
  The last time I visited the recruiting officer I was told that if I selected a trade say, under water diver/welder that they will pay be a signup bonus because we are scarce in this populous and that we are forced to import other bodies from over seize and that's hampering out budget. How true is this? Because many other individuals says it's a scheme to get young individuals in and that there is no benefit for the individual other than keeping away from trouble at bay. Thus, if this holds true, I will be paying twice as much in my T4 declaration at the end of the year so either way it's a â Å“Loss, lossâ ? situation.

The CF is paying recruiting bonuses in select trades to applicants in recognition of prior experience or qualifications they have that are recognized equivalents to military requirements. If you don't want to pay the taxes on it in the year you receive it, then invest it in an RRSP and enjoy it after you retire.

dinni33 said:
The other day I was having an argument with a close NCM about payment. He was saying that we get paid in a lump sum at the end of the contract; and I was arguing out that we get paid at the end of each and every month after all as the Queens militia we have expenses of our own and we need the capital.

If you complete a contract with the Regular Force that falls short of 20 years, you receive a lump sum payment of your pensionable contributions. There may be a Clerk on the Forum that can give more details on release benefits for the Regular and/or Reserve Force. Pay is issued twice monthly, on the 15th and 30th, less applicable taxes, etc.

dinni33 said:
Could you please clarify me on this account and the above accounts.  Any help with the above Questions will deeply be appreciated.

P.s One last question LOL before drifting away into left field. Yesterday I was looking at a few articles on Army.ca about laser surgery with respect to the US marines. Such be the case I know if I did take laser surgery I will be limited solely for the Army, Navy and RCMP, VPD. Which is a proven fact due to military codes; how would this affect if I wanted to become a sniper (as I have a passion) but lack the 20/20 vision gravely. My only option is to take laser surgery or insert that lense into the eye. What is the Canadian military policy about having cosmetic eye surgery and being a sniper?

You could become a sniper after laser surgery if NOTHING was identified by the medical review process on enrolment that precluded your service in the CF or in the Infantry. (Keep in mind these medical restrictions may change at any time as more information on these procedures is compiled.) Then you'd have to meet all of the other expectations to successfuly be selected for and complete sniper training. See the Infantry FAQ for sniper threads.

So you want to be a sniper, diver and/or senior officer.

My advise, pick a lane and stay in it.

As for accelerated promotion, do your time like the rest of us (well 99% anyway) and earn your stripes/hooks.

And lastly, the military is a profession, not a place to boost your ego by the rank you wear. I my be wrong, but that is the impression your giving.

RCA I quite agree with the way I get the impression, but as well I wont knock him for wanting the chance for what he wants to do, hopefully he didnt take either one of us offensively and I am here to wish him well on whatever he chooses.

Good luck. :salute: :cdn:

Ticket puncher in the making here....

ARMYboi69 there are a quite a few CO's out there a little choked you forgot their rank...
Like Lt Col

but I guess following the link on rank structure was too hard.

::)

ARMYboi69 said:
Instead of having to go to those links, here's the list for you  ;)

. . . . . . NCM'S . . . . . .
Recruit
Private (Fusilier if you're a Scotish Regiment)
Corporal
Master Corporal
Sergeant
Warrant
Master Warrant Officer (Company Sergeant Major)
Chief Warrant Officer (Regimental Sergeant Major)
. . . . . . Officers . . . . . .
Officer Cadet
Second Lieutenant (Pronounced Lef-tenant)
Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Colonel (Pronounced Kernel)
GENERALS
Brigader General
Major General
Lieutenant General
General

If you want to see other ranks like Drum Major you can CLICK HERE

Hope that helps.

already posted that...
drum major's not a rank, it's a position/appointment.

Back