• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tips to write faster while doing battle procedure

RichardCaan

Reaction score
How can I write faster and neater while getting orders and issuing orders, I had a lot trouble keeping the pace writing orders on BMOQ and I want to fix this before my next course

Use short forms, abbreviations remember things like IOT (in order to), I used to use letter G for grid refs (so my sloppy hand writing might say g 355 778 instead of gr), My personal short frms
H (caps) = H Hour
Atk = Attack
Def = Defend
Ptl = Patrol
Blk = Block
I would E in a circle to indicate enemy kind of like @

cut out obvious filler words

This is a start but hope it helps.

Use short forms, abbreviations remember things like IOT (in order to), I used to use letter G for grid refs (so my sloppy hand writing might say g 355 778 instead of gr), My personal short frms
H (caps) = H Hour
Atk = Attack
Def = Defend
Ptl = Patrol
Blk = Block
I would E in a circle to indicate enemy kind of like @

cut out obvious filler words

This is a start but hope it helps.
Definitely this. You’ll quickly learn what’s common to have to write. Figure out your shorthand.

You’ll also know going into orders what main points will be covered. Pre-fill major headings/sections in your notebook so you can just plug in the ‘variables’ once you receive orders.

How can I write faster and neater while getting orders and issuing orders, I had a lot trouble keeping the pace writing orders on BMOQ and I want to fix this before my next course
Great advice from ArmyRick abd Brihard.

You can also practice by watching 5 minute YouTube videos (or Ted Talks) and write down enough information with short hand and abbreviations that you can read it back and explain the video to someone.

Record the orders on your phone, which you hide somewhere. Delete the recording after you've extracted orders.

I haven't tried this yet but you could give Dragon Diction, or an equivalent voice-text program, a try too.

<waiting for incoming> :)

Lets Go GIF by Macklemore

A lot of people also make themselves a template, since orders always follow a standard format, and laminate it so you can fill in the blanks as you listen. There will be one or two times where you need to try and copy the entire sentence or 2 (mission/intent) but if you take an old set of orders and make yourself a fill in the blank sheet, this could help.

Some resources online:
CAF Tools - Templates and Aide-Memoires - Canada.ca
Battlepro online (By the owner of this site) - BattlePro Online
Battlepro app (apple) - ‎Battle Procedure Aide Memoire
Battlepro (Android) - Battle Procedure Aide Memoire - Apps on Google Play

Grease pencils or map markers (with a way to erase them when needed) on a talc covered template is your friend.

This from r/army on redditt may also be helpful:
"Alright listen up high-speeds, here’s the deal: map markers are just fine-tipped Sharpies. That’s it. Nothing about the Staedtler name makes them special, and for the love of god don’t buy the shitty BrigadeQM ones. Buy a 20-pack of fine-tipped Sharpies and enjoy a whole new array of colors at half the cost.

While we’re at it: quit using hand sanitizer or that god-forsaken Staedtler eraser pen to sanitize your personal laminated products. You know what pulls map marker (read: Sharpie ink) straight off a surface? Dry erase marker. Scribble all over your “permanent” creation with a fat ol’ Skilcraft dry erase you swiped from supply, and watch with frugal awe as a rag wipes the surface clean without making a streaky, goopy mess that will dry out your $10 map markers when you try to write within the next 5 minutes."

A lot of people also make themselves a template, since orders always follow a standard format, and laminate it so you can fill in the blanks as you listen. There will be one or two times where you need to try and copy the entire sentence or 2 (mission/intent) but if you take an old set of orders and make yourself a fill in the blank sheet, this could help.
Not really feasible for PL comd and above on the entire orders, You can have pre-written certain parts of the orders (actions on, met rep, some of sit can simply be regurgitated, etc) but not things like concept of operations (higher intent x 2, scheme of maneuver, main effort and end state), this must be drafted each time with a fresh estimate done (including mission analysis)

Back