• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

To Be or Not To Be - The Sandbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wesley 'Over There' (formerly Down Under) said:
Well pal, thats what its called, not only by the CF but the whole bloody coalition!

If you are concerned about this, you've got way too much time on your hands.

From the sandbox,

Wes

Can't say I ever remember myself or anyone in my coy calling it that, but what ever,.... but just to throw an idea out there,.... I know it's crazy and all but,... why not call it,.... Afghanistan?!

I know I know, that's a whole lot of letters and all,... but hey, it's not degrading or insulting, it's pretty clear about where your talking about and well,.... it's the real name!

Teflon said:
Can't say I ever remember myself or anyone in my coy calling it that, but what ever,.... but just to throw an idea out there,.... I know it's crazy and all but,... why not call it,.... Afghanistan?!

I know I know, that's a whole lot of letters and all,... but hey, it's not degrading or insulting, it's pretty clear about where your talking about and well,.... it's the real name!

Well, we were calling it that way back in Apollo circa 2002/2003 as well.

The term originated with the aircraft flying into the "Box." Because the AOR was much larger that Afghanistan itself, the term "sanbox" came to symbolize only a specific geographical area within a huge fly zone, and everyone knew what was meant.

Remember that aircraft don't fly into a country or city...they fly into "SDA," "YHZ", "DXB," "YYR," "PEK," "BAH" etc

Since when has the military not abbreviated something down to the least amount of letters possible...so that everyone still knew of what they were referring to?

See here:

http://army.ca/words/?function=showall and

here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23931.0.html

But then again, maybe you have a point...just look at what we can do with:   NDP

Gas Masked Crusader said:
Well, we were calling it that way back in Apollo circa 2002/2003 as well.

Good for you,... my company didn't have any difficulty saying "Afghanistan" but thanks on the triva lesson, now if I ever fly a plane I will not sound like a nerd and say I'm flying to (insert random city name) I can be cool and use the proper 3 letter code!  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back