• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

to Reg MARS about intraining period

AlexMDN

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, everyone
I'm new to this forum and to the trade, in fact still in CFRC stage. applying as DEO for MARS position, having an interview Feb. 7th. Considering that I'm 33 old, have family, bills, etc can't afford to just to quit my job and go to training without pay. So, the question is:
- How's this going after NOAB stage, when U considered employed and getting payed and at what rate over all training time  , is there any  gaps like LWP between courses? progress in ranks?

Any info is appreciated. THKS           

You start being pay, and be a militart person, at day 1 of your IAP.  After you finish your IAP/BOTP and maybe language course, you'll be sent to victoria to start your MARS training. Even if you're course don't start right away, you're still being pay.  However, if there's some time before you're next course start, they may consider sending you on OJT (on job training).  So, to conclude you're always get your salary from day 1 of boot camp.

Catburglar

Thank U, Sir,
It's always good to have some solid info in your hands for planing ref.

Forgot to say, if finance are a bit stretch... Even if you're pay from day 1 of you're boot camp, you didn't receive you're full pay for the first month, because it takes times for the clercs to adjust everyone salary. So for the first month they give you some money, but not you're real salary, you're third pay usually balance everything out, not a major thing, but good to know.

At least, that's the situation in St-Jean.

Catburglar

MARS officers get sent to Victoria for language training, if they need it.  However, chances are you'll go straight to NETPO (phase 2).  Basically, in short, you'll spend IAP/BOTP in St. Jean then the rest of the time in Victoria. 

As for rates, look at the regular officer pay scale; it's on the Internet under CMP (Chief Military Personnel).  During training, expect your commission to A/SLT after BOTP, but SLT will come only after you're done MARS 4 and got your Officer of the Day on your ship. 

Definitely check WRT pay issues during St. Jean.  Them not paying you correctly for months (even when you're done Basic and on language course) is not uncommon.  If this happens to you, ask your course staff.

We were told at the CM (career mgr) brief that SLT (second language training) would no longer be offered after basic training. This is causing a bit of a bubble of trainees for next summer.

Thank, U Gentlemen for the info.
But what about bilingual concept in general if CMP are not trained in SL on early stages?
How it's going to effect farther service and do they have  anything  else to replace it? or maybe it's our own problem? 

This is just my personal opinion regarding SLT.
To be brutally honest the requirement for French in the Navy is minimal, especially at the NCDT to Lt(N) (I'll even go as far as LCdr) level. And maybe the powers that be saw that the return on the SLT investment was not all that good. Therefore they may have decided to weed out the folks who tube MARS training (at any level ) prior to the XO level. After the cull is over they can give the folks who are going higher in their careers the intensive training they need to get the French profile required for higher rank. Another reason may be that a lot of folks were losing their drive while they were on the french course and by the time they arrive at Venture they are not all that motivated.

I know that happened to me. After completing my basic training in Chilliwack, we were all sent to the Mega for 6 mo of SLT. It was the most soul destroying place I had ever been at and I couldn't wait to get to Venture.

Now once again this is only my personal opinion and there could be a myriad of different reasons why the policy has changed.

But what about bilingual concept in general if CMP are not trained in SL on early stages?
There's no change to the bilingual policy - they've just moved the second language training to after phase training. I believe this was based on the observation that paying someone for up to a year to study French or English and then have them wash out of their trade training and release doesn't make much sense. Better to see if they have what it takes before the value-added stuff like second language training.

I agree, it  sounds logical. At list keeps U in shape throw the training, but if somebody ask me, I prefer to have SLT when I really need it.
What I honestly don't understand is the purpose of aptitude test at NOAB considering its similarity to CFRC AT, everyone  taking in the beginning of enrollment process.

NOAB isn't just the test.  They also take you on a daysail, show you around the base (usually Esquimalt, but I'm not completely up to speed on this now) and essentially show you a bit of the navy. 

NOAB is lots of fun. They do an excellent job selling you on all the cool things that the navy does.

Don't get too worked up about the test on NOAB. Mars Officers require unique skill sets that the general purpose test at the recruiting centre is not able to accurately gauge due to its broad scope. The NOAB test is a glorified IQ test with a twist. It is quite different form the initial test at the CFRC. I have written about it before. You also have to write an essay and some other things.

The board experience is valuable since boards are an important part of Navy life with almost all major milestones marked by sitting a board. If you want to know what boards are like read Hornblower they haven't changed to much in centuries because they are an effective way of seeing how people able to know their duties under stress.

When you go to NOAB, try and have a drink with some of the people doing MARS training. Take what they say with a grain of salt since MARS training is very stressful. It is a good idea to ask where they are in their training. I always liked talking to NOAB people back when I was at Venture.

good luck.

Back