• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Top Gun 2

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Note the highlighted, where a screenwriter waxes eloquently about the new roles for Air Force pilots - sure to lead to a great rendition of the life.  Then again, movies ARE supposed to be entertainment, right? 
I don't know what's gotten into me but I suddenly feel the need … the need for speed!

Oh yeah! It's because Paramount Pictures has made offers to director Tony Scott and producer Jerry Bruckheimer, master of the gratuitous explosion scene himself, to follow up their 1986 classic "Top Gun." Furthermore, the rumor mill is whispering that Tom Cruise has agreed to reprise his role as Maverick, providing it's not too "obvious." Initial reports say a cameo as a flight instructor, a la Tom Skerritt as Viper, is a no-go. Let's just hope another homoerotic volleyball scene in skintight jeans isn't in the "too obvious" category.

Tabbed to pen the script is Oscar-winning screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie ("The Usual Suspects"), who recently impressed Hollywood fat cats with a screenplay for the "Wolverine" sequel.

McQuarrie, though, will have his work cut out for him. "The aviation community has completely changed since we made the movie a long time ago," Bruckheimer said last June at a press junket. The real life "Top Gun" programs of today are nothing like the ones in the movie. Modern pilots aren't so much trained in the graceful art of dog-fighting as they are in the explosive, if cinematically less-exciting, practice of bomb-dropping. So expect fewer high speed chases in the sky and more ho-hum target locations at low altitudes ....
More here.

Colonel (ret'd) Pete Mitchell, seen here following a mess dinner  ;D
80764_tom-cruise-in-tropic-thunder.jpg

Great.  Just what we need.  Another movie on fighter pilots that portrays them as arrogant, petulant, whiney babies.  Not saying that there aren't fighter pilots like that out there, but we certainly don't need people thinking that this is the norm.  ::)

Strike said:
Great.  Just what we need.  Another movie on fighter pilots that portrays them as arrogant, petulant, whiney babies.  Not saying that there aren't fighter pilots like that out there, but we certainly don't need people thinking that this is the norm.  ::)

It's bad enough that view gets around inside the service, we wouldn't want it escaping into the public domain (again).    ;D >:D

xena said:
Maybe they're just afraid that the French did a better film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEe3xfWfkG8
Never heard of this flick before now.  I'll check it out - thanks!

Strike said:
Not to worry - according to the screenwriter:
.... The real life "Top Gun" programs of today are nothing like the ones in the movie. Modern pilots aren't so much trained in the graceful art of dog-fighting as they are in the explosive, if cinematically less-exciting, practice of bomb-dropping. So expect fewer high speed chases in the sky and more ho-hum target locations at low altitudes ....
How could he POSSIBLY get the wrong impression in the screenplay?  ::)

milnews.ca said:
Never heard of this flick before now.  I'll check it out - thanks!

Don't get your hopes up, it wasn't that good.

CDN Aviator said:
Don't get your hopes up, it wasn't that good.

No, it really wasn't.

Still beats 'Top Gun' though...

The USAF pilots getting the most hours live in Vegas, commute to a collection of trailers in the desert, take over the satellite uplink, then continue the UAV mission that's been going on for the past 10-20 hours.

Pilots at desks in front of computers!  Will "Bithead" recover from his carpal-tunnel syndrome?  Can "Gigabit" finally overcome his fear of USB peripherals?  Will no one ever try to mentor "CoD4"?  And how wil lthe team react when they discover Jessica, the voice at the end of the help-desk 1-800 number, isn't really a Vegas showgirl moonlighting, but is really Kathy Bates?

I mean, with a plot like that, who could resist?  I smell Oscar!

Modern pilots aren't so much trained in the graceful art of dog-fighting as they are in the explosive, if cinematically less-exciting, practice of bomb-dropping. So expect fewer high speed chases in the sky and more ho-hum target locations at low altitudes ....

How's that line from another aviation movie go

" Fighter pilots make movies , Attack pilots make history ! "

GK .Dundas said:
How's that line from another aviation movie go

" Fighter pilots make movies , Attack pilots make history ! "

"Fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history"

dapaterson said:
The USAF pilots getting the most hours live in Vegas, commute to a collection of trailers in the desert, take over the satellite uplink, then continue the UAV mission that's been going on for the past 10-20 hours.

Pilots at desks in front of computers!  Will "Bithead" recover from his carpal-tunnel syndrome?  Can "Gigabit" finally overcome his fear of USB peripherals?  Will no one ever try to mentor "CoD4"?  And how wil lthe team react when they discover Jessica, the voice at the end of the help-desk 1-800 number, isn't really a Vegas showgirl moonlighting, but is really Kathy Bates?

I mean, with a plot like that, who could resist?  I smell Oscar!

:cheers:  Thanks for the end of the workday laugh.

You know when i was twelve Maverick rocked. i was too young to igure out that top gun was gay. And lets face it Mav was dangerous and an extreme flight safety risk. He should have had his ticket pulled way before Goose got killed.

Iceman was right.

On another note. Red Dawn is in the final mix. This time its the Chinese taking us over.
And Spielberg is doing a screen adaptation of The Warhorse set in WW1

mover1 said:
You know when i was twelve Maverick rocked. i was too young to igure out that top gun was gay. And lets face it Mav was dangerous and an extreme flight safety risk. He should have had his ticket pulled way before Goose got killed.

Iceman was right.

On another note. Red Dawn is in the final mix. This time its the Chinese taking us over.
And Spielberg is doing a screen adaptation of The Warhorse set in WW1

You just can't handle the truth!

Whatever the truth might be, any new jet jockey film will have to compete with the "reality" of modern video games to appeal to the target market, which will undoubtedly be a gold mine for the Mythbusters to prove or disprove the blatant and suspected violations of the laws of physics.

Journeyman said:
And in today's market, it must feature vampire sex.  ;)

Okey  Dokey  >:D

3689161_199a193e-1ef3-43f4-95c0-8c684560a91e-interview-with-the-vampire-cruise-feasting.gif

L/Cdr (retired) Pete "Maverick" Mitchell USN now working as a sexual harassment councillor at the Tailgate Memorial Institute in Las Vegas is recalled to active duty for the GWOT and assigned to NAS  Bon Tomps  Louisiana as the OC Beach Volleyball.

They're making another Top Gun movie.  ;D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1036911/Mavericks-Cruise-jumps-eighties-remake-bandwagon-plans-Top-Gun-II.html

I feel the need.

[edit: I was excited until I realized Tom Cruise will be in it]

Back