• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

top tank in WW2

Jonny Boy

Inactive
Reaction score
hey i was just wondering what the top tank in the 2nd world war was. some one is trying to tell me it was the Russian T-34. i think it was either the king tiger or the panther tank.

also what would you say about this statement   "considering the Russians produced the weapon that the germans feared more then anything, "Stalin's rockets""

the whole dissuction is about the Russians beating the germans in WW2 because of man power. any help would be really appreciated. thank you

-Hutch- said:
hey i was just wondering what the top tank in the 2nd world war was. some one is trying to tell me it was the Russian T-34. i think it was either the king tiger or the panther tank.

also what would you say about this statement  "considering the Russians produced the weapon that the germans feared more then anything, "Stalin's rockets""

the whole dissuction is about the Russians beating the germans in WW2 because of man power. any help would be really appreciated. thank you

The question itself is meaningless; whoever is insisting it was the T-34 sounds ill-prepared to discuss the subject intelligently.  First of all, you need to frame the discussion.  What do you mean by "best"?  Any tank is a combination of several factors, all compromised to ensure maximum potential in each area - speed, armour protection, ground pressure/mobility, crew survivability, fuel consumption, main armament capability vs soft targets, main armament armour penetration ability, special ammunition, amount of ammo safely stowed on board, ease of maintenance, weight (important when crossing bridges, for example), size (important in narrow European villages), etc.

The T-34 and Sherman were aided by the fact they were produced in such staggering numbers.  German AFV production was mainly armoured half tracks (a sizeable proportion of their inventory), and the number of "good" tanks after 1943 - ie tanks capable of going toe to two with enemy armour - was low. 

The Russians beat the Germans with manpower, firepower, and an operational art that exceeded that of the Germans by 1944, who were never very good at broad or long term thinking (and when they were, they were hamstrung by having a leader who was political figurehead, head of state, and chief of the Army combined).

There was no single "best" tank of World War Two, nor could there be, unless your friend is prepared to give out his definition or frame the discussion better.

-Hutch- said:
also what would you say about this statement  "considering the Russians produced the weapon that the germans feared more then anything, "Stalin's rockets""

I'd say whomever wrote it didn't know what they were talking about.

The Katyusha was inaccurate, but relatively frightening.  Allied soldiers feared rocket artillery highly according to postwar studies, but their actual effects were exaggerated - I am sure it was the same for the Germans.

The Russians had a sizeable, but crudely handled, artillery force and rockets were able to thicken up pretty devastating shows of firepower.  But if memory serves, they had no abilities equal to an American or British observer, such as a TOT or a Victor Target.

ok thank you for the info. so what would be a good way to reply to his comments. i didn't want to say anything until i knew what i was talking about. I used to have a bad habit of that as you know :-\ . i don't want to have a petty argument with the person but i want to be able to correct him and not start an argument about it. thanks

-Hutch- said:
ok thank you for the info. so what would be a good way to reply to his comments. i didn't want to say anything until i knew what i was talking about. I used to have a bad habit of that as you know :-\ . i don't want to have a petty argument with the person but i want to be able to correct him and not start an argument about it. thanks

Honestly?  If he is that misinformed and deluded, I would say it is best just to ignore him.  Either that, or quote several hundred pages of documentary evidence - either way, I doubt he will be predisposed to believe you anyway, right.  So don't feed the troll.

ok thats cool. thank you for the help. i am going to use alot of the info you gave me. if that is OK with you.

"What was the best tank of the Second World War" is a pretty commonly thrown around question.  I agree with Mr. Dorosh in stating that there is no real answer to this question, as  these vehicles were designed to carry out different roles (i.e. recce, support, tank-hunter/killer).  However, if the question were rephrased, I believe it would be a little easier to answer.  For example, if this person were to ask "what was the best general purpose tank of the Second World War", then that would be a different story.

It is widely argued that the T34 was the best general purpose tank of the war, and this is most likely the reason why your friend made such a comment.  Reasons that support this argument are that this specific tank sported a main cannon capable of combatting the German panzers, the resources and soldiers were available to produce and man copious amounts, they were cheap to manufacture, very simply built (and thus easy to keep in action), had very good armour/speed capability, and so forth.
Overall this tank was able to penetrate German panzers with its gun size/muzzle velocity while affording its crews a good amount of protection.  This tied in to the above given are some of the reasons why people have arrived to such a conclusion.  I also am one who believes that the T34 was the best general purpose tank of the war.  It was not necessarily the best, but proved its worth in all the fields a tank should (referencing the above written plus what Mr. Dorosh included as well).

As for the Stalin Rockets that you are referring to, those would be the Katyusha rockets developed during the course of the war.  I must disagree with Mr. Dorosh in this respect - the Katyusha rockets were actually relatively accurate weapons, although this was not their predominant feature.  Nicknamed the "Screaming Stalin's", these rockets were both hated and feared by the German army because of the sound they made when closing in on their targets.  They were given the above nickname because they basically made a screaming sound closing in as they cut through the air - this was a major morale crusher for the Germans because of the psychological effect it had on them.  This was especially hard on them as they were designed for anti-personnel use.  All this tied in to the fact that the Russians had the resources to make a continuous supply of them to launch in areas like Stalingrad (i.e. near the end of the battle during the encirclement), they were capable of delivering continuous barrages to break the German will to fight.  Finally, these rockets were extremely versatile as they were launched from simple truck platforms that were able to deliver their payloads minutes after arriving into a designated firing position.

I hope this info is what you were looking for.  Although I've given you some facts in these two areas, I have put in my own opinions as well as you can tell.  All I can recommend is  that you at least take the facts and form your own, as I'm sure there are people who would disagree with what I have to say.  This topic can basically be compared to something as basic as two people arguing over what their favourite book or movie is - it all depends on what type you like and what you are looking for.

Cheers.

Ironside said:
It is widely argued that the T34 was the best general purpose tank of the war, and this is most likely the reason why your friend made such a comment.   Reasons that support this argument are that this specific tank sported a main cannon capable of combatting the German panzers, the resources and soldiers were available to produce and man copious amounts, they were cheap to manufacture, very simply built (and thus easy to keep in action), had very good armour/speed capability, and so forth.
Overall this tank was able to penetrate German panzers with its gun size/muzzle velocity while affording its crews a good amount of protection.   This tied in to the above given are some of the reasons why people have arrived to such a conclusion.   I also am one who believes that the T34 was the best general purpose tank of the war.   It was not necessarily the best, but proved its worth in all the fields a tank should (referencing the above written plus what Mr. Dorosh included as well).

Ahh, are we talking about the T-34 in general.  There were a few different marks; which included armament change and major ergonomic change to get a third crewman and radios in.

Indeed, my goal, however, was to keep my points as clear and simple as possible, as one could literally write novels about the subject.  That and I must admit my offhand T34 history for its gradual evolution is a little rusty...My overall intent is simply to convey that it was capable of keeping up with the Germans as an adversary by standing out in most fields, hence the general purpose comment.

I apologize for that, I should have been more clear from the get-go.

"also what would you say about this statement  "considering the Russians produced the weapon that the germans feared more then anything, "Stalin's rockets""

Interesting note, I read in Guderians memoires on his initial drive with OP-Barbarossa, assigned to Army Group Center, that he came across a German maintenance/supply unit that had got lost and was shot up badly by the Russian's. Out of this event it came out that the convoy had been carrying a top secret manual for the Nebelwerfer rocket system, of which the Russian's obtained and re-engineered into Stalin's Organ.

Various television shows have tackled this subject over the years, with various degrees of acceptability.

There was one such program recently on the History Channel (or TLC, I'm not certain which). The title escapes me, but it was a comparison show highlighting the most famous of weapons systems from the 20th century: M-16 v. AK-47, F-86 v. Mig-17, T-34 v. Panzer, Sherman v.Tiger, Spitfire v. ME-109, etc...

This program can be entertaining, but I wouldn't quote it as the gospel. Many books have been written from all points of view. As with anything, absorb as much information as you can, and then decide for yourself.

PS

I personally liked the British Centurion.

Upon further research into the origins of the Katayusha rockets aka, Stalin's Orgin, the Russians were made aware of the Nebelwerfer and German rocket technology as early as 1936.

These accounts then go to pains to state that the Katayusha rocket system was brought online two months before OP - Barbarossa. I am not sure what to make of this but I will have to try and find the passage that I read and cross referrence

Without getting into defining terms or laying out perameters, or even setting up any of the necessary background for comparisson; which is to say simply throwing around meaningless conjecture. I am going to simply state that the JS/IS-2 or 122 was probably the best.

I'd say that the top tank of WW II was the one driving with a couple of fellow tanks in an area where the enemy had neglected to place anti-tank weapons. ;)

In all seriousness I agree that the question must be framed correctly.  

If the question supposes some gladitorial arena combat between single tanks on an open field then I guess that the King Tiger and JSIII would be the likely finalists.  The Panther and Firefly might sneak in as well.  A lone dude with a flamethrower and some guts could also prevail if he got lucky...While fun to think about it is also not very meaningful.

If the question is more general and includes effectiveness in the war then the Sherman, T34, Panzer IV (with many marks) and Panther would all be contenders.  The Panther is considered by some to be the "best" medium tank of the war, although it was inspired by the T34.  It had an excellent gun, excellent armour and good mobility (once they sorted out the teething problems).  The Sherman has many detractors but it was mechanically reliable and was able to be built in huge numbers.  The Commonwealth Sherman Firefly version could knock out Tigers and Panthers at long range, although it was in turn vulnerable.  The Panzer Mk IV went through many variants and served throughout the war.  The T34 was a big shock to the Germans in 1941 and was a threat until the end of the war.  The T34/85 version was even more potent although it was outmatched by the Panther.  If someone said that the T34 was the "best tank of WW II" then I do not necessarily disagree if the criteria was overall effect on the war.

Tactics also figure in as well.  German tanks had no real advantages over their British and French opponents in 1940 with the possible exception of turret crew size (three vs one or two).  Despite this they won with superior training, tactics and techniques.  At Kursk in 1943 the Russians overcame the gunnery and armour superiority of the Panthers and Tigers by charging to close range.  They took grievous losses but so did the Germans.  The Russians could afford the exchage, the Germans could not.

Cheers,

2B

p.s. With regards to my comments about 1940 I was a bit unfair regarding the British armour.   For one day the British Matilda was the top tank during the counterattack by the RTR at Arras.   It can be argued that the British tank counter-attack at Arras delivered enough of a shock to the Germans to allow the BEF some breathing space for Dunkirk.   The Matilda was impervious to German guns and created quite a crisis until the 88s were employed in the depth of the German division.   Its gun was too small, however, and the design could not be upgunned due to the small turret ring (unlike the Panzer IV).   British doctrine was somewhat hampered by inter-branch and regimental rivalries between the wars that polarized the process and led to some weird ideas, but at least they concentrated their armour.

Apparently, the T-34 was considered the best tank used in the war. It was cheap, quick to produce, had a shape which made it a difficult target, and some fair firepower. And it could run circles around the tiger. I think.
Interesting fact on the Katyusha: if a crew member of a Katyusha was captured, at any time by the Germans, he (or she) would be immediately executed. The super thing about the Katyusha is that it could fire anything - so much of their ammo was artillery shells which failed the test. Very cost effective. In addition, the Germans thought they emited death rays - this is true. :skull:

Hilarious  :D:

Operational History
The first prototype was completed in December 1941 and was rushed into the defense of Moscow. In its first action during a dense winter fog, the rear turret accidentally fired into the center turret. The resulting explosion completely destroyed the vehicle. The second prototype was completed in January 1942, and was sent to the Leningrad front. This one had indicators installed to show whe another turret was in the line of fire. In its initial attack on the Germans, the tank broke in half when crossing a ravine. A spark ignited the leaking flamethrower fuel and the resulting explosion completely destroyed the vehicle. The third prototype, shown here, had a reinforced hull and was also sent to the Leningrad front in early 1942. It did manage to shoot down three German aircraft. In its first ground engagement, the KV-VI was firing on German positions when coincidentally all of the guns fired from the 3 O'Clock position a the same time. The tremendous recoil tipped the tank into a ditch and the severe jostling set off the 152mm ammunition, which completely destroyed the vehicle. After these failures, Stalin cancelled the project, and many of the design team members spent the rest of their lives in the Gulags of Sibera. The KV-VI was nicknamed "Stalin's Orchestra" by the few Germans that encountered it because of the variety of weapons it deployed.

Wouldn't want to throw a track on that badboy....

Is that thing for real? It's got to be the silliest vehicle ever designed!

Katyushas are copied from Nebelwerfers? That's a little suprising, since they look mothing like each other.

2WWnebelwerfer.jpg

BM-13_RB.jpg

Back