• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Blair confirmed the video exists, he said it does not contain enough evidence to lay charges against Ford.

Wonder what all the anti-Ford types will say now?

Please note, I am not for or against Ford, I just find it hilarious that everyone tries to pin something on him and nothing sticks.  Toronto has its very own Teflon Mayor!  ;D

PMedMoe said:
Wonder what all the anti-Ford types will say now?

Please note, I am not for or against Ford, I just find it hilarious that everyone tries to pin something on him and nothing sticks.  Toronto has its very own Teflon Mayor!  ;D

And that might be what saves him.  To be honest I think Ford Nation as it is known like him for his policies, keeping taxes low and fiscal prudence.  In the end who cares what he puts in his body if he manages the city properly. 

Crantor said:
My assumption was thinking you everyone in Canada watched the news everywhere, all the time, when it concerns the Centre of the Universe.  I'll fix that for next time to help you out.  My bad.

TFTFY

I say Blair has a lot to answer for. He certainly is following in the steps of his predecessor.

Crantor said:
And that might be what saves him.  To be honest I think Ford Nation as it is known like him for his policies, keeping taxes low and fiscal prudence.  In the end who cares what he puts in his body if he manages the city properly.

I don't support people who use hard drugs period.  But I do find hypocritical to the point of nauseating, that the people now (well always) call for him to resign whatever, tended to be vocal supporters of George Smitherman who admitted that he had used "hard drugs" in his life at some point (that was as specific as he got).  And of course being the crack journalists that The Star is they didn't bother probing any further than that.  I guess so long as you are gay, and a member of the liberal party, and live in Rosedale, being an admitted drug user is not an issue for The Star or many residents of Toronto.

IMHO, this has only a little to do with the question of whether or not Ford allegedly smoked crack or not in that video, despite his lawyer's efforts to turn things in that direction. That part is a very small element. It has everything to do with the conduct of an individual who is supposed to be a leader and an individual in whom the public can reasonably place their trust.

And, BTW, I'm not  gay,  or a member of the liberal party, and I could never afford to live in Rosedale.

A lot of people on this site, on many different threads, spill a lot of bytes of digital ink going over and over again what the traits of good leaders are, how important leadership by example is, how they dislike corruption and misbehaviour "at the top", and how they support the police.  Oh, and oppose drug use and the low lifes who associate with the drug culture. We don't allow Privates to use the excuse that they used drugs "on their own time", do we? Why permit this for a major public figure?

But now, it seems, we are suddenly prepared to make allowances (that you could drive a big black SUV through...) for a person in a very important position of high accountability and responsibility, because maybe we don't like one of the newspapers making allegations against him? Really?

It's interesting to see that the Mayor has even managed to offend those conservative bastions the National Post (I heard the Editor on the radio yesterday) and even that  journal of Ford Nation: The Sun. (Calling up one of its reporters and screaming obscenities at him probably wasn't a good Info Ops move, was it?)

Look back over the whole sad story, all of it, from the beginning, not just this shabby and disgraceful display over the video. If only 50% is true, alarm bells go off. I would not accept this behaviour from a 2Lt. A Mayor is a public figure, 24/7, just like any important public leader. He has no "private life" in which he can go and indulge whatever moral and ethical failings he may have, then come back to work and switch on the "Mr Law and Order/I support the police" track. This isn't demonstrating personal integrity.

Ineptness, immaturity, bullying behaviour, disingenuousness (to be polite), loutishness. Not traits of leadership most of us would recognize. There is a difference between being Mayor of a major metropolis and being a 19 year old swilling beer off the tailgate at a bush party, with your ball cap on backwards.. You need a different set of behaviours.

As for the Chief, good on him. He acted in the public interest, in a political culture which is all too reluctant to hold senior political leaders accountable for what they do or fail to do, be they Left, Right, or Anything.  What we might want to ask ourselves is not why the police released this information to the public, but why the  Mayor's actions may have attracted intense police attention in the first place.

Let's amend the Ontario Municipal Act to make mayoral recall possible, and spare any city ever having to go through this living nightmare again.

The crack smoking only exaggerated his poor character to the point it became public. It's almost like he is a satire of everything liberals imagine is wrong with the far right. You couldn't invent a more venal and self serving politician.

Getting so trashed at a military ball he had to be thrown out, grabbing a female candidates a$$ at a party(Sarah Thomson), the racist comments, using municipal resources for fundraising for his football team, overspending campaign finance limits, not recusing himself in council votes that affect him personally, personally asking senior civil servants to approve road and drainage projects adjacent to his families business, trying to get the public land beside his home rezoned and sold to him for a pittance, his crazy driving, multiple police calls for domestic disturbances. Throw him in rehab and cut your losses before he brings the credibility of the right any further down.

Edited to remove unsubstantiated claims.

Tossing him under the bus are we?

No due process, just toss him right?

The righteous gotta be righteous..... ::)

pbi said:
It has everything to do with the conduct of an individual who is supposed to be a leader and an individual in whom the public can reasonably place their trust.

"Certain recently reported actions of the Mayor" was brought up as a mitigating factor in an arbitration regarding the termination of a Toronto Paramedic. He was fired for his off-duty behavior. No charges were laid.

The Arbitrator upheld the decision of the City of Toronto to terminate because, "Certain jobs require a high level of skill and a high level of trust from both employers and the public. For employees working in those types of positions, it’s possible that off-duty behaviour can call into question that trust, if it demonstrates poor judgment. And if an employer no longer has confidence that an employee has the judgment to perform a job of high skill and responsibility, the result could be dismissal."

I served under nine Mayors. Mayor Ford was elected after I retired.

This is the first time - as far as I can recall - that the behaviour of our Mayor has been used as a mitigating factor during a disciplinary arbitration involving the off-duty behaviour of one of our members.

Edit to add.

Mayor Ford, Major General Richard Rohmer, Honorary Chief of Toronto EMS and Chief Raftis share a laugh at a Toronto Paramedic graduation ceremony at Emergency Services HQ.

This was quoted elsewhere, but I agree with the sentiment that we should hold our politicians and elected officials to a higher standard than simply "not having been convicted of an offence."

I'm trying to get all worked up over this, but I'm afraid I just don't give a crap about anything that happens in Toronto.

:boring:

Journeyman said:
I'm trying to get all worked up over this, but I'm afraid I just don't give a crap about anything that happens in Toronto.

:boring:

Well,....it's nice to have company......like about 29 million other Canadians.....

Yes, I gather their mayor is a bit of an idiot.  Having been posted to Toronto for three years, he seems appropriate.

Jim Seggie said:

Trust and respect are the hardest things to earn (and rightly so...), and the easiest things to destroy. Anybody venturing into the lions' den of public senior leadership must realize this.
Never mind this video scandal, as revealing and disgraceful as it may be. This individual was not "thrown under" any bus. He has flung himself under it, time and time again, despite the efforts of his key staff to drag him out of the roadway. He resolutely marches back in front of the bus each time, stopping only those  to slag those who have the gall to actually challenge him.
It seems to me that he lacks any realistic understanding of the nature and requirements of the posifion that he holds, but merely thinks he is free to act however he wants.
As GAP pointed out, Lefties must fall on their knees and pray to their deity every night that the Right associates itself with people like this.
This behaviour would not be accepted in any other major position of responsibility thatI can think of. I have no idea why it is suddenly acceptable for this sorry individual.

Toronto Star, Globe & Mail, National Post and the Toronto Sun, the four major daily papers in Toronto, have all recommended through their editorial page that Mayor Ford step aside.,

Yes...and the Sun was once his pit bull. He had to really work to alienate that paper, but he's done it. Oh, well,I guess Bob and Doug don't  need the media anyway: they've got Ford Radio.
Sort of like the wireless room on the Titanic....

Jim Seggie said:

When I fire an incompetent employee I don't have to go to court. His poor record has made him infamous worldwide. He is a serious liability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls7Hm-2i78Q

Interesting factoid in news today....His popularity went up 5%, but 60% of those poled think he should not be in office.

Is our society turning into a bunch of morons?  Toronto now is the laughingstock of the world.

George Wallace said:
Interesting factoid in news today....His popularity went up 5%, but 60% of those poled think he should not be in office.

Is our society turning into a bunch of morons?  Toronto now is the laughingstock of the world.

Rob Ford.  Marion Barry.  Discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back