• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Toronto now a "Sanctuary" City, sans Quasimodo though.

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Shared with the usual provisions of the copyright act.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02/21/cisanctuarycity21.html

Toronto declared ‘sanctuary city’ to non-status migrants
Toronto has become the first Canadian city with a formal policy allowing undocumented migrants to access services regardless of immigration status.
Text size:IncreaseDecreaseResetShare via EmailPrintReport an Error
Save to Mystar

RICHARD LAUTENS / TORONTO STAR
Supporters of a motion to turn Toronto into a sanctuary city for non-status migrants raise their arms in victory as the vote is announced. The so-called 'Solidarity City' motion was passed by city council by a vote of 37-3.

Published on Thu Feb 21 2013
Nicholas Keung Immigration Reporter
Toronto has made history by affirming itself as a “sanctuary city,” the first Canadian city with a formal policy allowing undocumented migrants to access services regardless of immigration status.
On Thursday, City Council passed the motion by a vote of 37 to 3 that also requires training all city staff and managers to ensure Toronto’s estimated 200,000 non-status residents can access its services without fear of being turned over to border enforcement officers for detention and deportation.
The vote puts Toronto in the same league with 36 American cities, including Chicago, New York City and San Francisco that already have such policies. Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday and councillors Denzil Minnan-Wong and David Shiner are the only council members who voted against the motion.
“It is an enormous step for the city in the right direction. We are all contributing to the city, the well-being of Toronto. It’s important that we are not making a distinction between those who don’t have rights or access to services and those who do,” said Harald Bauder, associate professor of Ryerson University’s graduate program in immigration and settlement studies.
“Distinctions are divisive. They establish second-class citizens. That leads to all kinds of other problems, not just a rift in the community, but other issues of exploitation.”
Council’s vote was significant at a time when the undocumented population is expected to surge in 2015, when many legal but temporary foreign workers will see their four-year work permits expire under a new federal law and potentially move “underground.”
Proponents of the policy argued that the city must embrace and monitor the changing reality rather than just bury its head in the sand.
Although undocumented migrants — often visitors overstaying their visas or failed refugee claimants dodging deportation — have been able to use city services such as library and public transit without hassles, the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy has not been consistent in other areas.
“This is a historic moment because we are saying we are a sanctuary city and that anyone who is in the City of Toronto will be able to access all the services the city offers, be it in the areas of health, in the area of parks, in the area of library, in the area of health and safety,” said councilor Joe Mihevc.
“That is the kind of city we want. We want to open our arms to anyone who comes here while they are here.”
However, Mihevc pointed out the new city policy will not address barriers faced by non-status residents for services under the provincial or federal jurisdictions such as housing, income security, welfare and labour protection.
“With the police, their policy is, ‘don’t ask.’ But if they find that someone tells them, they actually have a legal obligation to report it to Immigration Canada. That’s the nuance with respect to the police. This doesn’t change that,” Mihevc explained.
Thursday’s motion was a second attempt by migrant advocacy groups to formalize the city’s sanctuary policy; the previous administration under mayor David Miller did not commit to affirming the policy but opted to simply put a poster online to promote it.
“This is a great show of what community organizations can do. But this is only a policy . . . The only way we’re going to get changes in our community is if our community is organized and standing strong, and we keep councillors to what they said today,” said Tzazna Miranda Leal of the Solidarity City Network, a community umbrella group behind the campaign.
However, councillor Minnan-Wong, a vocal critic of the motion, said undocumented people are illegal in Canada and do not deserve government services.
“We shouldn’t encourage them. We shouldn’t help them. We should not facilitate them. They are an insult to every immigrant who plays by the rule to get into the country. They are an insult to every immigrant who is waiting to enter this country legally,” said Minnan-Wong.
“It sends a message to the world that it is okay to break the law to come to Canada and it says that the City of Toronto is an accomplice to this lawbreaking.”
Council also voted to ask Ottawa to establish an amnesty program for undocumented migrants and the province to review its policies to ensure their access to health care, emergency services and community housing.
Sanctuary cities in U.S.
So far, 36 American cities and three states have declared themselves sanctuaries for non-status migrants.
Anchorage, AK
Chandler, AZ
Mesa, AZ
Tucson, AZ
Davis, CA
Downey, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Oakland, CA
San Bernardino, CA
San Jose, CA
Watsonville, CA
New Haven, CN
Denver, CO
New York City, NY
Fort Collins, CO
Deleon Springs, FL
Miami, FL
Chicago, IL
Cambridge, MA
Baltimore, MD
Detroit, MI
St. Paul, MN
Newark, NJ
Bridgeton, NJ
Tulsa, OK
Albuquerque, NM
Farmingville, NY
Durham, NC
Portland, OR
Philadelphia, PA
Brownsville, TX
Salt Lake City, UT
Fairfax County, VA
Seattle, WA
Madison, WI
Jackson Hole, WY
State of Oregon
State of Maine
State of Vermont
Source: http://www.apsanlaw.com/law-246.List-of_Sanctuary-cities.html

So, so disappointed about this.  As the son of legal immigrants, this kind of liberal hippy BS, pisses me off to no end.  If I were still a taxpayer, it would piss me off even more.  Hat's off to the 3 councilors with the cojones to vote against this.

I remember this posted in the stations a few years ago:
http://www1.toronto.ca/static_files/immigration_portal/assets/docs/pdf/universal_access_poster.pdf

Now that Detroit has been declared bankrupt, I wonder how long they're going to want to stay on the list paying for people that don't belong there.

Oh, and I hope any in Canada all flock to Toronto so they aren't a drain on the cities they're in now.

Given that the police are not "supposed" to ask about status directly (if someone tells them that is different), how does that jive with this, their oath of office

Police officer, etc.
2.  The oath or affirmation of office to be taken by a police officer, special constable or First Nations Constable shall be in one of the following forms set out in the English or French version of this section:
I solemnly swear (affirm) that I will be loyal to Her Majesty the Queen and to Canada, and that I will uphold the Constitution of Canada and that I will, to the best of my ability, preserve the peace, prevent offences and discharge my other duties as (insert name of office) faithfully, impartially and according to law.
So help me God. (Omit this line in an affirmation.)
or

I solemnly swear (affirm) that I will be loyal to Canada, and that I will uphold the Constitution of Canada and that I will, to the best of my ability, preserve the peace, prevent offences and discharge my other duties as (insert name of office) faithfully, impartially and according to law.
So help me God. (Omit this line in an affirmation.)

That last line (in both) sticks out in my view, as by following this measure, one is no longer acting impartially, but granting special dispensation to people who are violating the law

Back