• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

touchy topic may offend some........

1qaz1qaz

Inactive
Reaction score
I've read so many news articles showing that the support for our troops in Afghanistan is very low. These people want to bring the troops back home. Why? These men volunteered. They know the risks. It should be the soldiers'  choice and not the civilian choice. Some of these men live to go to Afghanistan, and their operation there is at risk because mindless civilians think it's dangerous. That's like saying police officers should be taken off the street. That is very selfish.

I agree, I've been seeing lots of articles in the newspaper lately about people complaining that we are in Afghanistan, and how its the PM's fault that they are there. I just shake my head. If the people back home aren't supporting our troops, who is?

Even if they think the mission is fubar, the people back home should still give their support for their troops that are serving their country.

I know I am,

good job peeps, keep on truckin'

Right back to the fact that PM Harper is NOT the reason we are there.  The liberals sent us there, and now that they're the official opposition, they want to have a full debate in parliament and bring our troops home.  The politicians committed us there, leave us alone now to do our job.  Support the men & women over there.  Nothing brings morale down quicker than knowing you have only 50% support to be there in the first place.

If you can find 50% of the Canadian public that can identify a Canadian uniform, name a weapon system in current use with the CF (or more recent than WWII), name any mission the CF has done in the last ten years except Somalia or Afghanistan then I would probably die of shock.  To expect a Canadian public that has been spoon fed the myth of the Liberal "kinder, gentler world", and honestly believes that the rule of law and freedom of choice is the standard of every part of the world except those whose rights have been violated by western military presence, is ridiculous.  Garbage in, garbage out (GIGO).  Since the Canadian public, and Canadian media are uninterested in the facts, are unaware that there are international tensions that do not have anything to do with the US military, that there are wars going on right now, that there is genocide being conducted with alarming regularity, and that bandit warlords are the rule, not the exception in much of the world, why should they have any idea why are troops are needed, and what they must do to accomplish their mission.  The Canadian public is alarmed we might be in Afghanistan for 10 years, really?  How long in Germany?  How long in Cyprus?  How long in the Golan Heights?  How long in the various bits and pieces of Yugoslavia?  Rome wasn't built in a day, but apparently we are expected to rebuild Kandahar in a week.
    PS if one more leftist butt-monkey asks why we are fighting in Afghanistan for the US, not is Sudan for the poor Africans, I'm going to box him up and ship him to Sudan with a flag painted on his forehead and see how long it takes the rioters to dismember him-the Sudanese don't want us there, the Afghans do.

If you are having a discussion about supporting our troops, you may use my comments from here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/40500/post-349284.html#msg349284

u_love_nads said:
Nah. Try reading before posting. I like poop.

And your gone for trolling.

Regards

Gitmo

Shhhhhh......go back to your hole you came out of.....don't worry we'll protect you and your naive ideas no matter whole miniscule and irrelevant they are to the real world. By the way you wrote the same comment what, 4 times, kind of original eh. Is that your Mom I hear coming ? You better get off the family computer, maybe try the tough guy act tomorrow at school by the bike racks. Now SCRAM.

Well that's funny because I've seen this no less than a dozen times with slightly different details over the internet in the last 3 or 4 yrs. Mothers co-workers sister eh?  (cough)crap!!!

Springroll,

You hit the nail right on the head there. So many people in such a hurry to point the finger. Soldiers are sometimes easy targets for negative comments such as what was experienced there. Funny, but when I immigrated to Canada I wanted to learn English quickly and I fell in love with everything Canadian. I became a Canadian citizen the minute I could legally do so, and joined the Army soon after. I served my Country with pride, and always consider myself fully Canadian. (I don't forget where I came from, but that is secondary)

It bothers me a lot to see people come to this Country and then try to establish their native culture and ways in our society. I certainly didn't insist on wearing my wooden shoes in Bootcamp, because that was part of my native culture  ;D

Funny that when people come here, and get a taste of freedom of speech, they choose to use it negatively against the Country that provided them with that right.

I think that 90% of the people who speak out against our mission in A-Stan have the opinion, just not an "Informed opinion".

Cheers,
Plummer :CD:

My bad, I accidentally deleted my post when I went to modify it...here it is again:

One of my sons serves in the army. He is still here in Canada . He called me yesterday to let me know how warm and welcoming people were to him, and his fellow soldiers, everywhere he goes, telling me how people shake their hands, and thank them for being willing to serve, and fight, for not only our own freedoms but so that others may have them also.

But he also told me about an incident in the grocers' shop he stopped at yesterday, on his way home from the quarters.

He said that ahead of several people in front of him stood a woman dressed in a burkha.
He said when she got to the checkout she loudly remarked about the Canadian Flag lapel badge the cashier wore on her blouse.

The cashier reached up and touched the badge, and said proudly," Yes, I always wear it and probably always will."
The woman in the burkha then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing her countrymen, explaining that she was Iraqi.

A gentleman standing behind my son stepped forward, putting his arm around my son's shoulders, and nodding towards my son, said in a calm and gentle voice to the Iraqi woman:

"Lady,hundreds of thousands of men and women like this young man have fought and died so that YOU could stand here,in MY country and accuse a check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my belief that had you been this outspoken in YOUR own country,we wouldn't need to be there today. But, hey,if you have now learned how to speak out so loudly and clearly, I'll gladly buy you a ticket and pay your way back to Iraq so you can straighten out the mess in YOUR country that you are obviously here, in MY, country to avoid."

Everyone within hearing distance cheered!

dynaglide said:
Well that's funny because I've seen this no less than a dozen times with slightly different details over the internet in the last 3 or 4 yrs. Mothers co-workers sister eh?  (cough)crap!!!

Actually, that was what was at the bottom of the email so I assumed that had been added by my mom to me...I msn'ed my mom and she said that was in it before she sent it to me. That was my bad.

gnplummer421 said:
So many people in such a hurry to point the finger. Soldiers are sometimes easy targets for negative comments such as what was experienced there.

This comment is so true!!

I'd like to buy that man a beer
My biggest fear right now is that by the time i get in(the army) there will not be any places left
of real need for my services, but to be spat on like that disgusts me

gitmo said:
< Mod Edit :  Moron's Ramblings Removed >

I've read what he had to say in a reply in another Thread. There is nothing vile enough (even if it could be printed), that I could call this person in reply to his remarks.

So, a well done to the MOD's.

As an American, I can appreciate this discussion. On the one hand, I think George Bush,Donald Rumsfeld,Dick Cheney etal are twits who are totally insulated from the real world;however, as much as I loathe them, what kind of man would I be if I turned my back on the US and Canadian Forces serving in Afghanistan and Iraq? As wrong as Bush and Company have been on most things, they at least got part of it right regarding Afghanistan.Iraq is a can-of-worms that George W and his buddies created. I don't know what the outcome there will be. To my mind, Afghanistan is a different proposition.We had sound reasons for invading there. I just regret that Bush and Rumsfeld put Afghanistan on the back burner when the Iraq mess didn't unfold per their grand plan. I am frustrated that at the very time we should increase our troop levels in Afghanistan Bush is reducing US troop levels to concentrate on Iraq.If we had put 40,000 US troops there from day one, we would be so much closer to victory there.

I worry about the Canadian Forces in southern Afghanistan just as I did when my US Airborne guys were there. The job is complicated , and these folks are working under difficult and dangerous conditions. I suppose I'm a naive civilian, but I just don't understand how people who are fortunate enough to live in a democracy can fail to support the boots on the ground.As spoiled as we are here in the West, I am amazed that there are so many people in the US and Canada who are willing to serve in the military.We are very fortunate to have so many brave,dedicated citizens.In the end, our guys in the military will do what they've always done: they will take imperfect political decisions made by imperfect politicians and find a way to make it work in such a way that our defense is enhanced and innocent people who can't protect themselves will be protected. In the process, a lot of good men and women who serve will pay a very high price so the rest of us can sleep better at night.

I just hope that the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan will get the message that there are millions of US and Canadian citizens who greatly appreciate their service. I just cringe at the thought of some young soldier,marine,sailor or aviator in southern Afghanistan feeling that he has been forgotten by us.

All you need to do is pass the info around and try to enlighten them.

Most average civies have no idea of what is going on and believe everything in the media...including the spin put on everything.

Regards

I heard  university professor commenting on the low turnouts, at least in comparison to what the organizers expected, of the rallies here in Canada.  He suggested that the "problem" is that the protesters don't offerer a "substantial alternative" to what they're protesting.  I take that to mean that saying "Get out of Iraq, etc..." is the easy bit.  The hard part is dealing with what happens then.  Points to the prof for a neat summary of what I'm thinking  ;D

Back