• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tour rotation

hoote

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know the battalion tour rotation schedule?  I know in Feb 08 it will be 2PPCLI, then 3 RCR? then....
I should be finishing my DP1.2 in Sept and want to go to a batallion that will have a tour in Afghanistan before the mission ends.

Worry about finishing your courses first, there will be many tours even if it is somewhere different

I can appreciate your comment to not get ahead of myself but I need to submit my posting preferences in writing soon and going to afghanistan is a strong factor in deciding what battalions I would like to be posted to. 

Does anyone know the tour rotation or where I can go to get it? 

Thanks.

What's the big panic?  It won't matter what Bn you go to, you'll likely be on Tour within the next three years no matter what.  Just because a Bn is slated for a Tour does not guarantee you a position, nor does a Bn not being slated for a Tour not exempt you from a Tour.  You could be in a Bn slated for a Tour and not be slotted into the Brick to go.  At the same time you may be in a Bn that is not slated to go, but land up being called upon to fill a position in the Bn that is going. 

There are so many factors involved, that at this stage you need not worry about it.  You will eventually get a Tour.

Or are you trying to tell us all that you only plan on doing a three year stint in the CF so that you can get a medal?  Then we may understand your motives behind this line of questioning a little more.

So what you are saying is that going on tour is not a pure science and that there are many factors outside of which battalion is slated for a tour that affect whether or not someone does in fact go on tour.  I thought it was a little more cut and dried than that. 

And George what's with the "three year stint in the CF to get a medal" comment.  Have you actually met guys with such motives?  I haven't.

I appreciate the information nonetheless.   

Yes, there are many factors involved.  Having been through Pre-deployment Trg and on 10% List in the past, still hasn't guaranteed people a Tour.  I have been in that boat myself.  There are also slots taken up by Reservists, and other augmentees from other Units that are filled.  Many factors that could prevent you from doing the Tour with the Bn.

Yes, I have known some who are only 'here' for the medal.  Many others have know those types also.  So, yes, that kind of person does exist.  They are only using the CF as a stepping stone to a better career.  You will develop an eye, with time, as to who is just "Here to get their 'Ticket' punched". 

hoote said:
So what you are saying is that going on tour is not a pure science and that there are many factors outside of which battalion is slated for a tour that affect whether or not someone does in fact go on tour.  I thought it was a little more cut and dried than that.

Pretty much yes that is it. However as has been pointed out Tours come regardless and you will surely get one sooner or later.

hoote said:
And George what's with the "three year stint in the CF to get a medal" comment.  Have you actually met guys with such motives?  I haven't.

Yes we have.... They don't make it though as they lack the commitment and drive to to the job right. Also do not be so fired up to go on tour it's really not what you think and not something I envy anyone having to do. I used to be just the same way and guys w had BTDT told me the samething, I know it didn't change my mind so why would it change yous.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/47886/post-416824.html#msg416824

Michael O'Leary said:
So, here's the formula:

A.  If you start now, and estimate a year for recruiting and six months for training
B.  And you hope that the planned cycle of unit rotations overseas doesn't change, and pick a trade based on that
C.  And get posted to your unit of choice.
D.  And land in one of the companies/squadrons designated for a tour.
E.  And the government doesn't change its mind on the mission.
F.  And the Army doesn't change its mind on Task Force structure.
G.  And you "DAG Green" all the way through the pre-deployment training cycle.
H.  And you don't piss off your chain of command and get dumped to the rear party for being a dink, or some other technical term for administrative or disciplinary burden.
I.    And there's not another election that pulls us out of Afghanistan (or wherever) at the last moment.
J.    And you don't get appendicitis two days before your departure.
K.    And the sun doesn't go nova.

Then:-

You might get an operational tour within a three-year basic engagement.

In simple terms, no-one can guarantee you a tour .....

Any other questions?

Michael O'Leary said:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/47886/post-416824.html#msg416824

That's funny, but oh so true! ;D

PPCLI in february 08. 3 RCR in augest 08 although i know both 1 and 2 rcr are throwing a lav company in there.

George Wallace said:
n[/color] some who are only 'here' for the medal.  Many others have know those types also.  So, yes, that kind of person does exist.  They are only using the CF as a stepping stone to a better career.  You will develop an eye, with time, as to who is just "Here to get their 'Ticket' punched". 

I've been in only 2 years and I know of some people who are in it for the medals.

George Wallace said:
Yes, I have known some who are only 'here' for the medal.  Many others have know those types also.  So, yes, that kind of person does exist.  They are only using the CF as a stepping stone to a better career.  You will develop an eye, with time, as to who is just "Here to get their 'Ticket' punched". 
I don't think there is a problem with everyone who has this motive for joining the army. I know several people who plan on leaving the army after the 3 year contract and tour in 1-08, and they are quality soldiers. We need the spots filled, so if someone can and will do the job well, I see nothing wrong with them. Just my two pence.

However, that doesn't carry over to the people who just want to say they've been in the army. I also know a couple people who signed on, finished training, took up valuable spots that good soldiers missed out on, and put in memo's saying they didn't want to deploy. That is horse****, because it is a waste of both the army's time and money, not to mention the effect their slack-jawed jockeying around has on the soldiers around them.

Back