• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tours

Hi all. I've been away from the forum for a while, and decided to drop back in.....

I'm in complete agreement with Mark C (and the others) that are in the "suck it up and soldier on" frame of mind. I (and I'm assuming most people) joined the military to do something different, to travel, serve their country, etc. Sitting on your ass in Canada, doing the same thing, day in and day out isn't what the military is about. I have gotten into heated arguments with people who feel that they don't have to go overseas, because of some lame reason (the one I love the most is "I have done my (singular) tour.... I don't have to do any more..."). And those types, invariably, will play the system (padres, social workers, Quality of Life, etc) and, sadly enough, usually get their way, as the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I have only been on 3 tours (Cyprus 89, Bosnia 97 and 00-01), and want to do at least one more before I pull pole. I moved to Gagetown from Edmonton for family reasons (I work at the Armour School), so I am missing out on Afghanistan, but I don't think that mission is going to end any time soon. I made the decision to come out here, so that's my own problem, but there are ways and means of "taking a break" as mentioned earlier in the post. In some ways it can actually be career enhancing, which is wrong for many reasons (the experience you gain overseas is usually far superior to anything that you do in an average 6 month period in Canada), as you remain in a constant position (ie as an instructor, or a "high profile" postion, etc), and can take career courses and the like, whereas on tour (and leading up to it, and the first 3 or so months after) you are "only doing your job" (as I've heard some lamers refer to doing tours (whereas they were basically civvies in uniform..... if an average civilian can be trained to do your job in a week or so, you are, IMO, a civvy in uniform).

As for CSS trades, I always find it strange for the "feast or famine" aspect: I have seen Sigs guys, Engr's, Posties, Cooks and the like that have racks that would put a Red Army soldier to shame, and then on the other end of the spectrum are those that possess the "Rack of Shame": CD, Canada125, and perhaps the NATO SSM (c'mon..... 6 months in Alert!?!?!?! That's a testament to your liver's ability to process alcohol for 6 months, but I wasn't there, so far be it for me to judge  ::) And the urge for units to send people to Bosnia (and I guess now to A'stan) to fill out the medal count for those lacking isn't limited to only our military: in Bosnia we worked with the Brits for a 10 days stint, and they had a 2Lt who wasn't fully qualified to be a Troop Leader, so he was only over long enough to get the "gong", and ended up being a 2IC for patrols (I'm sure the Cpl was thrilled to have him along....). I'm guessing that the CSS trades have the same problem that the Combat Arms do: there are those that can do their job (and do tours, go to the field, etc) and those that always seem to have a reason for not doing their job (personal, medical, etc). I suppose you can't even blame the person, so much as you have to blame the system. If there's a way to exploit a failing of the system, people will take advantage of it. Not to say that people have to be accountable, though.....

Anyway, I suppose the ongoing mission to A'stan will help top up the medal count for those that always seem to be going out the door, and for those that always have an excuse not to go, they will continue to collect their pay, see their family every day, work their second job, not have to miss their kids first day of school/school play/tooth falling out, etc.

My wife is also in the military (she was on Op Apollo..... which helped spur us to move out to Gagetown, for a bit more supposed "stability", but that's another story) and we have accepted that one, or both of us, could (and have been) deployed at the same time (I did Op Grizzly (G8 security) while she was in A'stan) and our 2 kids (at the time) paid for that by not having "mommy" and/or "daddy" around for varying periods of time. Luckily, we have a family and friend support network, so we have that luxury. It is starting to annoy me, now that there are more and more service couples in the military (a lot of the times it seems to be the  (formerly civilian) wife joining the military long after the husband did), that these couples can get out of deployments or courses simply because they are both in the military. Well, duh!!!! Was the CADPAT in the closet the first clue?!?!! But again, the system will jump in to protect people because of Quality of Life. For those that are curious, Gagetown wasn't my first choice of postings (we are both Westerners), but it was really the only place that had employment for an Armd Sgt, and a Med Tech MCpl. (I have been told that I'm lucky because my wife can go anywhere I can because she's in the military, and that it's easier for us than it is for someone who has a civilian spouse that has to quit their job to help pack up the macaroni box..... I'm sure that will cause some howls of protest from opposing camps: the service couples VS the camp follower wife who has to find a new job/employer/career every 3 to 5 years) The logical choice would have been Wainwright (shudder.....) but, I would have gone solo, as there were no positions for a Med Tech MCpl. I suppose my point is: you have to sometimes choose your poison, and that isn't always easy.

Anyway, I've gone the rambling route, and it's late.... BTW, I'm on Parental Leave (god bless the PC, tree hugging, QWL military!!!!! Exploit the system!!!  >:D )

Take care,

Allan

Allan.. Just so you know.. they are posting 2 MCpl Med Techs this APS.. 

I've been in the reserves for almost 3 years as a MSEop.  Recently I decided that I wanted to go on tour and so I took time away from university and I've already discussed it with my job.  I came to this forum and after reading these posts it only makes me want to go on tour more cause you all sound like you enjoyed your tour.  Anyways, my question is this:  I need my bus driving course to go to Golan(or so I'm told) but there's no money left in my unit's training budget.  My boss tells me that since I want the course in order to go on tour there's more of a chance that they can 'figure something out'.  Does this sound plausible or is he just telling me that so I'll stop bugging him/the training NCO about my bus course?  Also, where else am I eligible to go? (I'm a cpl, with my ql5 and doing PLQ right now).  And does anyone know if you can go on unemployment insurance after a tour?
-Dave

Back