• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tpr Larry Rudd KIA in Afghanistan: 24 May 2010

armyvern

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
My thoughts & prayers are with Tpr Rudd's family, friends and fellow comrades in arms.

Another sad day for Canada.

IED blast kills Canadian soldier in Afghanistan
CTV.ca News Staff

Date: Monday May. 24, 2010 2:10 PM ET

A Canadian soldier has been killed by an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan.

Trooper Larry Rudd, 26, was killed at 12:30 p.m. local time Monday near the village of Salavat, about 20 kilometres southwest of Kandahar city.

Rudd's death comes less than a week after Col. Geoff Parker was killed alongside five U.S. soldiers and 12 Afghan civilians by a suicide bombing in Kabul.

Rudd is the 146th Canadian soldier to be killed during the war in Afghanistan.

Two civilians, diplomat Glyn Berry and Calgary Herald journalist Michelle Lang -- have also died.

Developing...

More coming out now ...

Canadian trooper killed in Afghanistan

KANDAHAR AIRFIELD, Afghanistan — Trooper Larry Rudd of the Royal Canadian Dragoons — who was described Monday as "a Gentle Giant" — became the 146th Canadian to die in Afghanistan and the fourth from southern Ontario to be killed here this month.

The Brantford, Ont., native, whose squadron was in the first weeks of its seven month tour in Afghanistan, died early Monday afternoon when the armoured vehicle he was travelling in struck a makeshift landmine during a combat resupply of other Canadian troops in Panjwaii District — southwest of Kandahar City.

"Trooper Rudd will be remembered by those who served alongside him as a professional soldier who never complained regardless of the hardships he and his crew endured," Col, Simon Hetherington, deputy commander of Canada's Task Force Kandahar, said.

"He was dynamic and motivated; generous and outgoing. He was the type of man soldiers of all ranks would look to for friendship."

The three other Canadian soldiers who died in May include:

- Col. Geoff Parker of the Royal Canadian Regiment, an Oakville, Ont., native who died when the convoy he was in was hit by a suicide car bomber in Kabul;

- Pte. Kevin Thomas McKay of Richmond Hill, Ont., who was killed while on foot with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry during a presence patrol in Panjwaii two days before he was slated to leave Afghanistan; and

- Petty Officer Second Class Craig Blake of Simcoe, Ont., a explosives expert who was also killed on a foot patrol in Panjwaii.

Rudd, 26, was "big, strong and fit," Hetherington said.

He added Rudd was "mature well beyond his rank and demonstrated enormous potential within the Armoured Corps and certainly within the regiment."

The bulk of Canada's combat forces are now concentrated in Panjwaii, which senior NATO officers have often said is one of the most volatile areas in Kandahar and a key to rolling back the Taliban across their heartland in the south.

With Rudd's death, eight Canadian soldiers have died in Afghanistan this year. A total of 32 Canadians died in Afghanistan last year and in 2008. The worst year for Canadian casualties was 2006, when 36 soldiers died.

More than two-thirds of the Canadians who have been killed drove or walked over improvised explosive devices that had been buried in the sand by insurgents. Relatively few of the Canadians who have died were killed in direct combat with the enemy.

Canadian Diplomat Glyn Berry was killed by a suicide bomber in 2006 and journalist Michelle Lang of the Calgary Herald died when the vehicle she was in struck an IED on December 30, 2009. Both Berry and Lang were travelling with Canadian troops when they died.

The number of NATO troops who died in Afghanistan leaped from 295 in 2008 to 530 last year as the war accelerated, largely owing to the Taliban having laid more IEDs that have often been packed with much bigger and more powerful explosives.

Canada has nearly 3,000 troops in Afghanistan and South Asia. Its combat mission is slated to end next summer. Prime Minister Stephen Harper has said that all Canadians troops will leave the country by the end of next year. However, talks are ongoing with NATO about whether a smaller number of Canadians might participate in a new, much less risky mission that would begin next year.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

R.I.P Soldier. Condolences to his family, friends, and fellow soldiers.
:cdn: :salute: :yellow:

Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the latest fallen....  :salute:

Just in - CF statement:
One Canadian soldier was killed after an improvised explosive device detonated during a routine security operation, about 20 kilometres southwest of Kandahar City, in the Panjwa’i District, at approximately 12:30 p.m.  Kandahar time on 24 May 2010

Killed in action was Trooper Larry John Zuidema Rudd from the Royal Canadian Dragoons, serving with 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, based in Petawawa, Ontario.

All members of Task Force Kandahar are thinking of the family and friends of the fallen soldier during this difficult time. We will not forget this soldier’s sacrifice as we continue to bring security and hope to the people of Kandahar Province.

Canada in partnership with the Afghan government and ISAF remain committed to improving the security situation in order to set the conditions for reconstruction and development in the region. Together, Afghan National Security Forces and Joint Task Force Afghanistan continue to maintain the initiative in Kandahar Province.

My sincere condolences.

"He was the type of man soldiers of all ranks would look to for friendship."

My deepest condolences to Tpr Rudd's family, comrades and friends.  What more can I say..... :'( :salute:

Condolences to Tpr Rudd's family, friends and fellow comrades.

Fiddler's Green

Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers' Green.

Marching past, straight through to Hell
The Infantry are seen.
Accompanied by the Engineers,
Artillery and Marines,
For none but the shades of Cavalrymen
Dismount at Fiddlers' Green.

Though some go curving down the trail
To seek a warmer scene.
No trooper ever gets to Hell
Ere he's emptied his canteen.
And so rides back to drink again
With friends at Fiddlers' Green.

And so when man and horse go down
Beneath a saber keen,
Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee
You stop a bullet clean,
And the hostiles come to get your scalp,
Just empty your canteen,
And put your pistol to your head
And go to Fiddlers' Green

RIP Trooper :salute:

:salute:    :cdn:    :yellow:
RIP Trooper, heartfelt condolences to the Family and Regiment...I knew something was going  to happen considering there was a bold rocket and mortar attack in KAF yesterday. 

I had the upmost pleasure of knowing this fine soldier on a personal level.  He was a great friend and will be dearly missed.
My sincere condolences to his family, I can not even begin imagine how they must feel.

R.I.P. Buddy, gone but never forgotten.  :cdn: :cdn: :salute:

RIP Trooper Rudd  :salute: :cdn:

Our condolences to the family, friends and Regimental family of Tpr Rudd.

My allergies just kicked in...... :'(

... the Governor-General,
It is always a terrible blow, and one that we never get used to. My husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I were therefore deeply saddened to learn that the conflict in Afghanistan had claimed the life of Trooper Larry J. Rudd. While doing a routine security operation, he found death after an improvised explosive device detonated.

It is with the utmost respect that we honour his contributions and that of his fellow members of The Royal Canadian Dragoons, always ready to serve their country and give their all in response to the call of duty and for freedom.

Trooper Rudd was a valiant participant in the efforts of the Canadian Forces allied with forces from other NATO countries engaged in this challenging mission to restore peace and security to this devastated country whose people have been exposed to extreme violence for decades.

Our thoughts go out to his parents, loved ones, colleagues and friends who have suffered a terrible loss. We understand and we share in their grief.

On behalf of all Canadians, we offer them our heartfelt condolences and wish to assure them that we will never forget the courage and incredible generosity he demonstrated to the very end.

.... the Prime Minister,
"Today, I stand with all Canadians as we offer our deepest sympathies to the loved ones of Trooper Larry John Zuidema Rudd, who was killed by an improvised explosive device.  We are deeply saddened by your loss.  Please be reassured by knowing that the country stands behind you in these most trying times.

"Canada is part of a UN-mandated, NATO-led mission to Afghanistan that continues to be challenging and poses many risks to the brave men and women of the Canadian Forces.  Nevertheless, the Government of Canada remains committed to the courageous undertaking of helping the people of Afghanistan achieve peace and stability and obtain a quality of life they so richly deserve.

"The commitment and sacrifice demonstrated by the brave men and women of the Canadian Forces is a great source of pride to all Canadians.  We are eternally grateful for the sacrifices made by  Trooper Rudd.  He will not be forgotten.”

... and the Minister of Defence:
"I extend my heartfelt condolences to the family, friends and fellow soldiers of Trooper Larry John Zuidema Rudd of the Royal Canadian Dragoons who died while conducting operations in Afghanistan. Trooper Rudd was killed by an improvised explosive device during a routine security operation.

Canada is in Afghanistan at the request of the democratically elected Afghan government and as part of an UN-mandated, NATO-led mission. Canada’s government continues to show international leadership, to help the Afghan nation achieve peace and stability in order to rebuild their country towards a safe future for its people.

This is a tragic loss for the Canadian Forces and all of Canada.  Canadians will be forever grateful for Trooper Rudd’s sacrifice. He will not be forgotten.”

Stand down trooper, you've done your duty. There's a speacial place in heaven for you to rest. Rest in peace.

Condolences to all family and friends..

Back