• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training Cuts

quicksilver123

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm considering enlisting next June and have been reading a bunch of literature online regarding the CF.

I found this article
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/bruce-moncur/canadian-forces_b_6407088.html

It claims that for training, soldiers are only allowed 50 rounds at the range per YEAR.

This seems insane, anyone care to shed some light?

It really depends on your trade and regiment, and weather your Regs or PRes. For instance, my unit and I just did our live fire exercise this past March. On this exercise each C9 gunner had 1200Rds link. I went through 450Rds 4Bit. I'm a PRes unit and it was the end of the fiscal year. If you do decide to join up I'm confident that you'll hear this more than once; "The situation dictates".

Basically what Zach says, it depends.

I highly doubt that a Reg Force infantry soldier only shot 49 live rounds in a year though. That would mean they had shot their PWT-3 (a shoot they have to do every year to re-qualify on the C-7) without any rounds used for zeroing. This also means they would have not done any live fire section or platoon attacks, which is absurd, as even my Pres infantry unit did live fire section attacks this year, and soldiers can burn up a significant amount of ammo during these.

Again how often you shoot and how much you shoot depends on your trade, but don't read into that article too much. You'll get your fair amount of good training once (if) you get in.

I was in a combat arms regiment in 2014 and I can assure you we shot far more then 50 rounds for the year. The article is grossly exaggerated and full of misinformation.

Back