• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training for NCO's and Gen. Hillier's speech.

Cardstonkid

Inactive
Reaction score
In today's speech by Gen. Hillier, he stated something to the effect that unification had brought down the overall level of training for NCO's to the lowest common level.(My version of his words.) He was referring to the idea that the Army could not train its NCO's to the highest standard because it had to go through a process that had to consider the needs of the other services. He also stated that this problem is being corrected.

I am not exactly clear on what he means by all of this. For any who may have seen his speech (This portion was on Newsnet) and who may have a better knowledge of the CF training system for NCO's could you comment on his remarks?

Do you have either link?Or was this just on television only at this point?Sounds interesting,however would like to get more info before commenting.

Thanks

Rcac_011

Like to know more aswell, New kid here so bare with me, We all know that the Candian Military is very thin and I dont mean by the size of the jeans ( LOL )

I HAVE BEEN TO WATC  (WAINWRIGHT) AND THE PERSONAL WAITING TRAINING AND PERSONAL in traning it gets easier and easier every day. the ? is why?

WE NEED NUMBERS IE

NEW MEMEBERS WANTING TO JOIN THE CF
STOP THE PERSONAL LEAVING AFTER 3, 6, 12,15, OR 20 OR MORE YEARS?? LOTS OF $$$ AND TIME AND SO MUCH MORE WENT THAT MEMEBR CHECKS OUT AND RELEASES!!!

THE BOTTOM LINE IS WE NEED PERSONAL AND IT IS NOT A NUMBERS GAME BUT WE ARE SHORT THE PEOPLE TO GO THE JOB THAT IS NEEDED!!!

ALSO JUST A SIDE BAR HERE FOLKS THE CDS ALSO CALLED THE 1990'S DARK YEARS FOR CANADIAN FORCES YA NO SHIT!!!

WELL THAT IS ALL I HAVE I GOING TO TRY AND FIND THE LINK TO THE CDS MESSAGE TODAY AND I AM SURE THE PM IS NOT TO FAR FROM THIS TAIL ( LOL )

WELL BEST WISHS TO ALL THAT ARE OVERSEAS NOW AND RETURNING HOME SOON AND FOR THE FOLKS HEADING OVER KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN WHEN NEED BE, ALL THE BEST AND SEE YOU ALL WHEN YOU GET BACK

CHEERS,
MOLSON949

Probably refers to the changes in career management in a lot of support trades.  Previously the Army on managed Cbt Arms (less Engr I believe) and EME.  Soon the Army will manage most of the pers who wear an Army uniform and wear a log or sig cap badge.  Some schools will also move under control of the Army which will allow them to introduce enviromental (Army) specific training.  Sort of what Regimental Coy did in CFSEME with EME Common.

Hey molson949 you might want to take it easy with the caps.  ;)

EX_RCAC_011 said:
Do you have either link?Or was this just on television only at this point?Sounds interesting,however would like to get more info before commenting.

Thanks

Rcac_011

This is the link to the video
Link

It sounds to me he was talking about some purple trades training not being branch trained up to standard.
For example a member finishes his threes training gets posted to a airforce base for 15 years.Shows up to work with the royals in Petawawa and besides PWT1 every year,their army skills may be lacking.

-What I found interesting is the comment on postings.Being something I'm going through right now myself.Having said he was reducing the amount of people in the training system who have not deployed.
I'm very glad it has been brought to his attention finally.The schools are ripe with young fit guys who have not deployed.Mcpl and above are pretty well guaranteed a posting within my trade right now every 3 years.However Pte/Cpl are not.They are not marketable as was explained to me.

Maybe we will see an influx of Pte/Cpl's who have operational experience be posted to the school's,receive trade-related/career courses that they have not been able to attend due to high operational tempo.Then they can become the new wave of Mcpl instructors,passing on vital information to Tpr's on Driver/gunner/surv jobs they had done overseas.

Right now in my sqn I believe we have 3 pers who have deployed in the past 4 years.Now these are all excellent instructors but as myself, I believe I lack CURRENT knowledge.Something someone cannot teach properly IMHO without having been there.Which ties into my next point.

I had friends who returned from Afghanistan and were sent on the ARCC.When they tried to do the tactics they had learned from Afghanistan they were told not to.As it was (and I quote) "The flavor of the day".I understand that a member must learn the basics of such a course,but are we really training for this operation or are we still stuck on the cold war ideology?I understand many exercises at unit level bring into effect the urban warfare/three block war,however are we really doing this on our trades related training?

Good speech.
Geek's of action.. hahaha ;D

GAP:

Thanks for the link.

"rocket scientists with personality" - he slays me (still).

molson949 said:
Like to know more aswell, New kid here so bare with me, We all know that the Candian Military is very thin and I dont mean by the size of the jeans ( LOL )

I HAVE BEEN TO WATC  (WAINWRIGHT) AND THE PERSONAL WAITING TRAINING AND PERSONAL in traning it gets easier and easier every day. the ? is why?

WE NEED NUMBERS IE

NEW MEMEBERS WANTING TO JOIN THE CF
STOP THE PERSONAL LEAVING AFTER 3, 6, 12,15, OR 20 OR MORE YEARS?? LOTS OF $$$ AND TIME AND SO MUCH MORE WENT THAT MEMEBR CHECKS OUT AND RELEASES!!!

THE BOTTOM LINE IS WE NEED PERSONAL AND IT IS NOT A NUMBERS GAME BUT WE ARE SHORT THE PEOPLE TO GO THE JOB THAT IS NEEDED!!!

ALSO JUST A SIDE BAR HERE FOLKS THE CDS ALSO CALLED THE 1990'S DARK YEARS FOR CANADIAN FORCES YA NO crap!!!

WELL THAT IS ALL I HAVE I GOING TO TRY AND FIND THE LINK TO THE CDS MESSAGE TODAY AND I AM SURE THE PM IS NOT TO FAR FROM THIS TAIL ( LOL )

WELL BEST WISHS TO ALL THAT ARE OVERSEAS NOW AND RETURNING HOME SOON AND FOR THE FOLKS HEADING OVER KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN WHEN NEED BE, ALL THE BEST AND SEE YOU ALL WHEN YOU GET BACK

CHEERS,
MOLSON949

I know you're new here but the use of Block Capital letters is considered as shouting in Computer talk. Why are your shouting at us? Also before a mod jumps on you I suggest you look at the rules with respect to using MSN talk....Welcome!  ;D

That's why the troops will follow him where ever... 'cause he's a soldiers soldier.  :salute:

"and Trucks...  Doesn't sound sexy, but thats what the army runs on"

I think we just need sexy trucks.  ;D

And more "big honkin' helicopters".  ;)

RHFC_piper said:
That's why the troops will follow him where ever... 'cause he's a soldiers soldier.  :salute:

"and Trucks...  Doesn't sound sexy, but thats what the army runs on"

I think we just need sexy trucks.  ;D

And more "big honkin' helicopters".  ;)

And Big Honking Ships (BHS)  ;D ;D ;D

I think we just need big honkin' vehicles and gear...  and pimp it all out.

My LAV rolls on 33's with spinners.  Bling bling.

Given our small size and limited capablities as far as sustaining more than one mission at the present time, it might be not a bad time to look at the "rifleman first" outlook in training that the USMC has adopted.  Their gender-segregated training isn't a bad idea either, but I would settle for the "rifleman first" thing across the board

I think this refers to certain "Purple Schools" coming under Army control in the very near future.  Having Non-Combat Arms NCOs only have to complete CF PLQ has been a major issue in the past few years.  As Course Officer for a couple CF PLQs, PLQ Lands and PLQ Infantrys there is a huge difference in standards.  CF PLQ stops at Small Party Tasks, we've been sending leaders on tours who simply don't have the qualifications and experience to lead soldiers in combat and it isn't their fault it is the CF's fault.

Whomever stopped ISCC / CLC / JLC needs to be shot.

Garett said:
I think this refers to certain "Purple Schools" coming under Army control in the very near future.  Having Non-Combat Arms NCOs only have to complete CF PLQ has been a major issue in the past few years.  As Course Officer for a couple CF PLQs, PLQ Lands and PLQ Infantrys there is a huge difference in standards.  CF PLQ stops at Small Party Tasks, we've been sending leaders on tours who simply don't have the qualifications and experience to lead soldiers in combat and it isn't their fault it is the CF's fault.

This may seem like a silly question from a "purple" tradesperson who did PLQ in Petawawa.  Why would a non-Combat Arms NCO be leading soldiers into combat anyway? 

PMedMoe said:
This may seem like a silly question from a "purple" tradesperson who did PLQ in Petawawa.  Why would a non-Combat Arms NCO be leading soldiers into combat anyway? 

Because there is no "Front Lines" in this new warfare.  You could find yourself engaged in combat, no matter what your Trade.  The modern "Enemy" doesn't care if you are an Infanteer or a Mechanic or a Medic.

George Wallace said:
Because there is no "Front Lines" in this new warfare.  You could find yourself engaged in combat, no matter what your Trade.  The modern "Enemy" doesn't care if you are an Infanteer or a Mechanic or a Medic.

I realize that, I've been to Afghanistan.  I guess I meant more along the lines of patrols (actually leading them), not convoys and such.

Back