• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

training for the cf but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage

Inactive
Reaction score
dont know if this is the right place but heres my question. doing the pre physical or whatever you want to call it, do you HAVE to successfully complete the requirements for the push ups sit ups chin ups running etc etc. because i swear i was told by a soldier recruiting at my school that you did not have to successfully complete them because basic gets you inshape.

also wondering if i should apply soon "im geting very minor knee surgery on march 14th it takes a week to heal so its no biggy" so i was thinking of going down to the recuritment office in aprilish. also just to note that i am around 240pounds. but i have lost 10 pounds recently  :)

and im going to the gym once or twice a day and i run 15mins which is about 1.7kms. i also do weight training every day, i think my weight is a combination of fat and muscle and not just fat as most people would think when they here "im 240 pounds". although i am overweight i am really working hard to achieve my goal to join the forces. i am 16 and am looking at the reserves.

so any feedback or information you may be able to throw at me that i missed after skiming these boards and talking to people will be greatly appreciated.

also sorry if this is wrong section etc

You're going to want to be able to pass any PT tests before arriving on course just to make life easier on yourself.

The knee, I'll offer an opinion, but I'm hardly a health care expert, so take their advice over my opinion.  Personally, I'd make sure my knee was absolutely healed before beginning the recruiting process.  Soldiering is hard on the body; a few months healing time can save you years of pain. 

Shamrock said:
The knee, I'll offer an opinion, but I'm hardly a health care expert, so take their advice over my opinion.  Personally, I'd make sure my knee was absolutely healed before beginning the recruiting process.  Soldiering is hard on the body; a few months healing time can save you years of pain. 
That is what I am going to have to do. There is possibly a muscle growing in a wrong place, but it kills me. Rather have surgery an be off it for a while then be in pain for years.

i understand that i SHOULD be able to do that stuff easily before basic to make life easy on me and i will try and get as close to those goals as i can. but are they a MUST before being able to be accepted for basic

I recently had surgery on one of my ankles (surgery on the other one being half a year ago).... to sum it up it involved slicing apart the bones in my ankle. I stayed off it for two months. A day or two ago I ran on it again, it really is great to have no pain. But anyway the point to my little story is that when I had my other ankle done I was up and about all summer and it took a lot longer for the pain to go away.  So it really is better to wait...

Sorry to beat a dead horse by the way but I thought I would give an opinion having had to surgeries and being able to compare resting to activity....

Savage said:
I understand that i SHOULD be able to do that stuff easily before basic to make life easy on me and I will try and get as close to those goals as I can. but are they a MUST before being able to be accepted for basic

There are many topics on this on army.ca.Many rants and complaining about it.No.You can be a huge/ totally out of shape person and go to basic training.They will try to whip you into shape on a "special" platoon for up to 90 days then place you onto a BMQ.If you do not get into shape at that time I don't really know for sure what happens.They said they would release per's but I cannot say for sure.As policy changes.

So no you do not have to lift a finger prior to attending BMQ.

lol thank you for that answer, it actually made me a little happier knowing i dont gotta train for another year to lose 50 some pounds before i can apply

Savage...
Did you make any effort to research your question before asking?
this stuff has been discussed and answered ad nauseum....

Go, on, do a little bit of PT and lift a finger to run the search function.

Have a nice day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back