• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transgender in the CF (merged)

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I agree 100%, but it is my opinion that if we are going to waste money on gender assignment, then why the frig not spend it on the people with obesity issues, I bet someone out there could argue that fact.   

In the end the 200k spent on getting these guys down, will probably save money over the long run.  (I disagree with it though)    Being a member of the CF usually comes with a free gym membership!

• The total number of transgender people in CF is? 30? 300? 3000? 30,000?
  • The total number of transgender people who pass vigorous protocols to get hormone therapy in  CF is? 30? 300? 3000? 30,000?
  • The total number of transgender people who pass vigorous psychological assessments to get reassignment surgery in  CF is? 30? 300? 3000? 30,000?
  • And at the end how many total number of transgender people in CF who successfully finish the whole processes & waste  your (according to your previous comment) money?

Getting hormone therapy and reassignment surgery is something like how easily you can get a gym membership or buy liquor in a bar?  :facepalm:

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Was there a point somewhere in that gibberish?

Yes & No. I am not sure Sir. But, I guess I asked some questions that may make some valid points.  ;D

As much as I find the topic somewhat incomprhensible, I also have to note that this isn't something that comes up with often enough to develop regular policies and procedures; each case is unique and probably will be the only one the people involved with will ever see in their military careers.

Still, the point about the costs of this kind of surgery vs laser eye surgery or treatments for obesity is also a point worth noting. There seems to be a certain "ad hocery" about what is and is not covered, and a comprehensive review of the cost/benefits of various forms of medical treatment applied to the operational needs of the CF is probably needed today in order to streamline and control the costs to the military as a whole.

I will also admit a bias to the side that sees people with such deep seated issues may not be effective as members of the military, but once again we are talking about a handfull of people within a 60,000 strong organization, so it is not like the problem will overcome the organization as a whole.

Hello everyone and thank you for reading this. This post is what it is. Basically I applied to join the Canadian Military but was still living as a male with my documents saying (and currently saying, though soon to change) I'm male. I just started to transition to living life as a woman and have started hormones. Will I still be able to join even though I haven't had any surgerys? Little re-cap, I have always  wanted to join since childhood and have been preparing in anyway I can to join, if i have to wait until after surgery I still will although I would love to join now. Any advice or wise words will be delightful and no, i don't need a lecture on my transition or someone complaining about their personal feelings about my journey, I don't care. What I do care about is serving my country (Canada) and doing what I have always wanted to do. Thank you :)

chloeD33 said:
Will I still be able to join even though I haven't had any surgerys?

You may find these discussions of interest,

Transgender in the CF.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/79867.0
6 pages.

Transgendered lawyer's military complaint rejected 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/89007.0

There may also be some Transgender discussion here,

The Merged Thread on Gay/ Homosexual Topics and the CF.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/899.0/nowap.html

As always, best to contact Recruiting.

chloeD33 said:
i don't need a lecture on my transition or someone complaining about their personal feelings about my journey, I don't care.

Not from me. I prefer to keep my personal opinions about sex, politics and religion to myself.  ( Or, at least off the internet. ) :)

Also, unrelated to this post.... I know someone who applied to the military and is now ready for an aptitude test. However a big s*itty family situation has came up and they need to go to another province to help out for a bit.... Since the average wait from sending the application to going for basic training is 6 months to a year could the recruitment office in their current city transfer their stuff to the other office in the other city or will they have to do a whole new application? Thanks!

It is possible to switch files to another CFRC - but will likely increase the wait time associated.  I believe they would have to close the first file before he/she could submit a new one.

Thanks for the input! Would you be able to ball park the potential time or is really just a matter of events? :)

Unfortunately, it would be a complete guess (I've never worked in recruiting, but perhaps someone reading this can shed some light).  From a general military administration perspective however - the more people that need to see a file before action can be taken automatically means it will take longer to process.  There are a lot of people in the chain who process these files at varying times.  It's a fairly bureaucratic system which (in my opinion) can significantly slow down the process.

Can't speak for everyone, but in my own narrow experience with the Army there is less of a focus on your particulars (gender, race, age etc) then on how good of a soldier you are.  If you use "difference" as an excuse for being a poor soldier, you tend to get marked for it.  If you are a good soldier, you'll convince a large majority that "difference" really means very little in terms of the respect you get from your peers.  Those who would have problems are likely the same kind of people who would be difficult regardless of where they were employed - but the CAF has pretty straightforward guidelines as to how to deal with racism, harassment, etc.

You will run into issues of the system (and instructors, peers, etc) not being sure how to react/interact due to a lack of knowledge and/or experience.  Most of these can be cleared up though being straightforward with your expectations to clear up confusion (for example - "I am legally classified as (X), and would be expected to be treated as (X).  I'm a recruit and expect to be treated like any other, etc).  The system DOES know how to handle recruits - and avoids singling you out for special treatment.  Might as well be as upfront with the recruiters as possible - so there is no confusion later on down the road.

As far as the in and out of how your particular transition will impact your application process, medicals, etc - I'll leave that for commentary from more qualified individuals.

Thanks for that! I am determined and hard working and always bust my rear off when a task is to be done. I wouldn't want special treatment because of what I am, but rather gain my respect because of who I am going to prove to be. A soilder. I just hope the opportunity will come through!

Like I said. I understand if I am told to wait until I had srs surgery, I would rather join sooner then later but oh well. But I am still puzzled, if you are changing but yet to have surgery do they make you have surgery first before you can join or will they let you in anyway.

chloeD33 said:
Like I said. I understand if I am told to wait until I had srs surgery, I would rather join sooner then later but oh well. But I am still puzzled, if you are changing but yet to have surgery do they make you have surgery first before you can join or will they let you in anyway.

You really have to take your questions to the Recruiting Centre and speak to them personally.

chloeD33 said:
Hello everyone and thank you for reading this. This post is what it is. Basically I applied to join the Canadian Military but was still living as a male with my documents saying (and currently saying, though soon to change) I'm male. I just started to transition to living life as a woman and have started hormones. Will I still be able to join even though I haven't had any surgerys? Little re-cap, I have always  wanted to join since childhood and have been preparing in anyway I can to join, if i have to wait until after surgery I still will although I would love to join now. Any advice or wise words will be delightful and no, i don't need a lecture on my transition or someone complaining about their personal feelings about my journey, I don't care. What I do care about is serving my country (Canada) and doing what I have always wanted to do. Thank you :)

I'm an absolute nobody in the greater scheme of things and I'm quite tiny on the totem pole in the military but for what it's worth my suggestion is for you to wait until you're fully changed or whatever the correct terminology is.  Seriously.
If you join half way through whatever it is you're going through you WILL get special treatment and you won't be liked very much for it.
One summer I worked with a transgender person (going from Girl to Guy) and the staff didn't know what to do with them for sleeping quarters, so they got their own. Staff didn't know what washroom they could use, so every night they were driven out of the field and got to use very nice very clean showers all on their own. Guys and Girls didn't appreciate it very much.

Everyone and I mean EVERYONE wants to hurry up and join (like dropping out of high school and joining). Just wait, finish what you started and then join. I promise it'll be a 1000 times better experience for you.

Thanks man :), those are words i will think about very much! Some have said say nothing, however living as a male against what I really want will be a huge drag and I also fear if I tell them after basic but before the trade training it would be looked down opun and make it difficult for the CF to do accommodations, as it rarely happebs and myself, I can't got back to male. I will call first thing tomorrow and let them know and see what can happen. If I can't join now rest assure you will see me one day in a few years! This is my passion. With that said thanks you all for your service too! :cdn:

There is a very simple reason the CF pays for gender reassignment. The CF is the health care provider of all regular force members and they do not have the option of the provincial health care system which would pay for their treatment. They are required to provide health care that is on par with the rest of Canada.

It is not comparable to laser correction because you could just wear glasses. Vision correction is an elective surgery for everyone.  They will pay for retinal surgery though.

Whether or not gender identify issues should be treated surgically  or as a mental illness is a huge, huge can of worms that really has no bearing on whether the CF pays for it or not.

Chloe, there are 3 or 4 people who have gone through various stages of gender reassignment where I am posted. I won't lie to you and say they don't get looks or have people talk about them. However, they are probably treated better than most transgender people get civvies side.  Once people get over the shock, it is just one more person to work with and you are more concerned as to their attitude than what they have or used to have between their legs.

Back