• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transgender in the CF (merged)

MercenaryBlack said:
Save everybody in your unit from discomfort, and don't join.

So, anyone at CFRC London want to do something about this idiot before he heads off to St Jean?  Shouldn't be hard to figure out who he is.  Going infantry and:

Applied:  December 27, 2014
First contact: January 26, 2015
CFAT: March 4, 2015
Medical: May 14, 2015
Interview: May 14, 2015
Position offered: May 28, 2015

He is 17 and his birthday is 19 December.  Young and dumb yes, but looks to be a bit too dumb.

MercenaryBlack said:
b809cfee40_yellow-card1.jpg

A break from posting for you for a bit while you ponder your misdeeds.
Milnet.ca Staff

MercenaryBlack said:

Learn from your stupidity now, or learn in a much harder way later.

Your attitude is not acceptable.

Let's put it this way - I don't care what gender a person was born with, has changed to, or currently identifies with. I don't care whom they chose to love, or how.  The colour of their skin, god they worship - not relevant to me.  I ask only one thing - will you put everything on the line to save the life of a casualty?  If the answer is 'yes', then we're going to work well together!

A dedicated soldier is a treasured resource, and we need as many as we can get.

Callmepumpy said:

Ref your e-mail: I am not inclined to spend any time and effort clearing out the quotes in others' replies, so your request will achieve nothing anyway.

You've yet to issue an apology, which further lessens my already-complete lack of inclination.

I realize that you cannot post, but you could e-mail that to me to post on your behalf.

Ruh roh. Actions have consequences, Shaggy?

Callmepumpy said:

Hopefully he'll grow up and learn but if not this guy right here would be more than happy to take his place in St. Jean

FortYorkRifleman said:
Hopefully he'll grow up and learn but if not this guy right here would be more than happy to take his place in St. Jean

OK, people have voiced their opinions. The Mods have taken action.

Let's move on.

---Staff---

Now if you got a trans-gender visible minority, imagine all the diversity boxes you could check off.

Wow this really imploded. Anyway thank you to all the decent people who have given me wise advice and been a help. For the record yes I would be honored to be among the many Canadians who will fight for and if needed, die for our country. And I will do whatever it takes to make this great land better. I will get the task done whatever it may be. I also want to thank the people who have came to my defense and given me the respect I asked for, but do not feed the trolls. When posts like that appear I do to them what I do to other crazy people who take time out to rant and rave. Ignore them  ::). Less stressful that way. Anyways thanks everyone  :cdn: :salute:

Good luck in your future and hopefully you will be given the opportunity to serve.

And hopefully the attitudes like that of this recent example will be few and far between. Particularly now with the new CDS giving the order that crap like that will stop.

Thanks Cupper. As said i am looking forward to this new chapter of life, all i gotta do is brush up on some stuff and i am ready for the aptitude :)!

Hello, I was wondering if anyone with up to date information about transgender individuals in the army and the application process. I have many questions and I'm hoping any of them can be answered with respect and facts and not personal opinions. I couldn't find any information for these questions while searching both this website, google and the Canadian Forces reddit so I'd like someone with experience with the medical portion of this or anyone else with information.
To apply must someone be already in the process of transitioning or fully transitioned to apply and if so in the case of in process (and of ftm- female to male) must they have already had top and bottom surgery to apply. If a ftm trans person were to apply already on testosterone for a year (but has not had any surgery) how would that effect everything? Would it be possible to transition after applying (while in the army)? and finally would it be better to not mention anything and just apply as the gender they were assigned at birth and then transition later on in their career?

Thank you for answering! I hope this doesn't get locked because it's a bundle of genuine questions.

I personally know of one transgender individual currently in the CAF.  I'm sure there are others.  After speaking with this individual I learned he was required to pass the same standard medical as everyone else which means that as long as there are no medical limitations due to what ever stage of transition he was in then he could proceed like any other applicant. More then that I can't say for sure and I don't know what the cut off point is (NO pun intended).

buckybarnes said:
Hello, I was wondering if anyone with up to date information about transgender individuals in the army and the application process. I have many questions and I'm hoping any of them can be answered with respect and facts and not personal opinions. I couldn't find any information for these questions while searching both this website, google and the Canadian Forces reddit so I'd like someone with experience with the medical portion of this or anyone else with information.
To apply must someone be already in the process of transitioning or fully transitioned to apply and if so in the case of in process (and of ftm- female to male) must they have already had top and bottom surgery to apply. If a ftm trans person were to apply already on testosterone for a year (but has not had any surgery) how would that effect everything? Would it be possible to transition after applying (while in the army)? and finally would it be better to not mention anything and just apply as the gender they were assigned at birth and then transition later on in their career?

Thank you for answering! I hope this doesn't get locked because it's a bundle of genuine questions.

Medical is the killer on the application process. They take transgender people, but only after the transition process is complete. If you are in the middle of transitioning, or about to transition, & if that information has been medically captured in your history anywhere, & if it pops up in the medical process, you will get an answer saying sorry. If you are already in the forces, then it is a different story, but if you are an applicant, then 'transition' part is a definite no no if you want to be successful in the recruiting process.

Callmepumpy said:

Not to give this guy any more of the attention he craves, but to anyone who is transgendered, there was a guy in my mom's air force unit who underwent this process in the 90's when people weren't as tolerant to LGBT issues as they are today and the only "harassment" he got from his peers were guys asking why he would get his penis removed because apparently the now lady, was packing.  So you might catch some shit for it, but 99% of it will be good natured ribbing and the other 1% will get charged if you report them for harassment.  Harassment was taken very seriously when I was in from 2009-2011 and I can only imagine it's taken that much more seriously now.

Hey all I know this is old but its me again. I have decided to wait until the big surgery is done. It is a dream to be part of a great team like the Canadian military but I think it is best to wait it out for a couple years till SRS. I don't want to be forced to go back to drudgery by living as a male again (no matter if the time of such is not very long) and I think it will just be best to start my new career in my new life then. I want to thank all of you for your advice and comments, as a future member (hopefully) and a family history in the CF, I consider you all brothers and sisters. Take care :) :cdn:

Hoping some members out there might be able to provide me with a little insight.

I'm a trans person (I present as male but wasn't born as one) and don't usually make a big deal out of it. However, I know my parents both have concerns about my safety at BMQ if I get to that stage in enrolment. I'm just wondering whether there are a lot of instances or opportunities for fellow recruits to figure that out about me - are recruits ever naked around each other? I would assume probably not but don't want to make assumptions.

If the answer is yes, do you think it could be a safety concern or leave me to be 'shunned' from the platoon?

Thanks

Recruits are naked around each other any time you're changing for PT or showering/changing after PT. Other than that, the showers - at least in the green sector, I can't speak to the blue sector - are separated and have their own enclosed area with just enough room to dry off/change.

As far as being targeted/picked on/whatever, harassment is a huge no-no in the forces but with that being said, there are jerks out there too. Other than that, I don't have too much insight in that area to give you a great answer. People will likely find out, rumors run rampant, you know the drill.

I have not come across this particular situation. However, based on my own BMQ experience, I would say you will be a part of the group as much as anyone else there. We have guys and girls, short and tall, various levels of fitness, aptitude and physical fitness, and everyone is part of the team. This is something that's highly emphasized in basic training, and candidates begin to embrace this concept fairly quick.

As for being naked around others. I cannot speak for how showers are done at Reg Force BMQ in St Jean, but at my PRes BMQ we hit the showers together. There are still individual shower stalls so you can preserve your privacy. However, in the interest of saving time (as we are always in a hurry because we have to meet a timing), people give up on privacy and you see a lot of naked dudes in the change area.

Whether you choose to get naked around others or not, I would think you will neither be unsafe nor be shunned. If by chance you do experience that, you can address it with your instructors and they should address the issue quickly. There are also formal actions you can take if you come across harassment, as you will learn at BMQ.

Think positive and go for it.

Back