• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transgender in the CF (merged)

Thanks to you both! I try to see the best in people, and I hope that my actions at BMQ (if I get that far, etc.) will be seen as assets even to those who may have their personal qualms. It sounds like that'd be the case!

The minute people think you're hiding something they'll go into overdrive trying to figure out what it is.

If you're plan is to hide it then at least be prepared for it to come out, probably at the worst time possible.

Jarnhamar said:
The minute people think you're hiding something they'll go into overdrive trying to figure out what it is.

If you're plan is to hide it then at least be prepared for it to come out, probably at the worst time possible.

I never hide things - I'm an open book. Precisely because of the reason you stated. But I'm not about to run around announcing it either - if it comes up, it comes up. I just mean that I didn't want people to think I'm someone who is looking for "special treatment" or is some kind of special cookie.

ShoddyGunner said:
I just mean that I didn't want people to think I'm someone who is looking for "special treatment" or is some kind of special cookie.

No one is special at BMQ. Everyone is equally worthless. ;D

If you're physically female but identify as male then, well, I have no idea. They could possibly put you in male washrooms and showers but if I know the army they will force you to receive special treatment and get you your own bathroom and shower, while everyone crams into their respective genders bathrooms, and you'll be looked down on for it by your peers.

It'll be interesting to hear how it's handled by your staff, I hope if you make it that far you post your experiences about it.

The only way people will think you're looking for special treatment or are a unique snowflake, is to act like it.  Put your head down, do the job, don't attract attention when it's not your turn to be under the all seeing eye, and you'll do fine.  Are there judgemental assholes? Definitely.  Will you meet them? Quite likely.  Don't let a likelihood hold you down.

Jarnhamar said:
If you're physically female but identify as male then, well, I have no idea. They could possibly put you in male washrooms and showers but if I know the army they will force you to receive special treatment and get you your own bathroom and shower, while everyone crams into their respective genders bathrooms, and you'll be looked down on for it by your peers.

It'll be interesting to hear how it's handled by your staff, I hope if you make it that far you post your experiences about it.

I'll for sure keep people updated if I make it that far. Ideally they'd let me just shower etc with everyone else unless there was an issue (someone started making an issue of it)...

Kat Stevens said:
The only way people will think you're looking for special treatment or are a unique snowflake, is to act like it.  Put your head down, do the job, don't attract attention when it's not your turn to be under the all seeing eye, and you'll do fine.  Are there judgemental assholes? Definitely.  Will you meet them? Quite likely.  Don't let a likelihood hold you down.

Awesome. I spent some time in cadets and that's how it usually was around new folks.

Let's stop dancing around the "real" question; do you have a penis? If so, you are male, IMHO.

PMedMoe said:
Let's stop dancing around the "real" question; do you have a penis? If so, you are male, IMHO.

Not sure we were dancing around that question. I do not, but I'm glad not everyone sees the world as you do. Also glad you do see the world as you do because our differences drive us to greatness.

mariomike said:
You may find this discussion of interest,

Transgender in the CF (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/79867.125
8 pages.

For future reference, perhaps this discussion will be merged into the mega-thread.

Thank you - I didn't see this thread come up in my search.

ShoddyGunner said:
Thank you - I didn't see this thread come up in my search.

You are welcome. Good luck,  :)

Why did I think I was going to beat Mariomike to posting a link to a thread already explaining this?

You're going to have issues. We don't have all-gender shower rooms like Starship Troopers, and you're pre-transition. There is a balancing act to be done on what makes you comfortable, and makes the remainder of your platoon comfortable.

PuckChaser said:
Why did I think I was going to beat Mariomike to posting a link to a thread already explaining this?

You're going to have issues. We don't have all-gender shower rooms like Starship Troopers, and you're pre-transition. There is a balancing act to be done on what makes you comfortable, and makes the remainder of your platoon comfortable.

I totally understand that. Also, I'm post-transition, which will likely make things easier but who knows!

What I meant was that you have not had SRS, so without clothing you look female. Thats where the issue lies, imagine some 18 year old male having to shower in the same open room who has never seen a naked female body in person before. Awkward is an understatement.

PuckChaser said:
What I meant was that you have not had SRS, so without clothing you look female. Thats where the issue lies, imagine some 18 year old male having to shower in the same open room who has never seen a naked female body in person before. Awkward is an understatement.

Perhaps, but from the waist up I definitely look male. And I've been in enough bathrooms and gyms to know that most men don't generally look at each others' junk. And if they do, that awkwardness is on them.

ShoddyGunner said:
Perhaps, but from the waist up I definitely look male.
So that means if you're from this latest generation you have boobs and out of shape  ;D

And I've been in enough bathrooms and gyms to know that most men don't generally look at each others' junk. And if they do, that awkwardness is on them.
Yea it's not exactly like the civilian gym.. Get ready for your peers to wait in ambush for you and throw soap dishes full of freezing cold water on to your crotch as you enter the shower.

Or 20 man naked slip and slides across the shampoo covered shower floors (watch out for drain covers with sharp edges)

Or your section full of guys get naked and proceed to beat the shit out of each other with belts and garbage can lids.
:sword:

Jarnhamar said:
So that means if you're from this latest generation you have boobs and out of shape  ;D

Point taken!

Jarnhamar said:
Yea it's not exactly like the civilian gym.. Get ready for your peers to wait in ambush for you and throw soap dishes full of freezing cold water on to your crotch as you enter the shower.

Or 20 man naked slip and slides across the shampoo covered shower floors (watch out for drain covers with sharp edges)

Or your section full of guys get naked and proceed to beat the crap out of each other with belts and garbage can lids.
:sword:

Actually...that sounds exactly like my college gym!  ;D

We had group showers in Farnham I believe at the end of the field ex I recall. Trust me, no one is going to bother with you unless you let them. Bring up your concerns right away if you have any. I would think you would be housed with the women anyway and if you had all the parts they have then they aren't going to care lol.

Leeworthy said:
We had group showers in Farnham I believe at the end of the field ex I recall. Trust me, no one is going to bother with you unless you let them. Bring up your concerns right away if you have any. I would think you would be housed with the women anyway and if you had all the parts they have then they aren't going to care lol.

"They" might not care, but he (ShoddyGunner) might. He identifies as male, and if I take him at his word, then by outward appareances, he appears totally male and everyone would take him to be a male. In fact, unless the other females on course we're specifically explained the situation, they would care that a male was being bunked with them.

Back