• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Travel on weekend leave

Tcm621 said:
To top it off, if I eat pizza all weekend in my shacks doesn't it amount to the same thing.

Not if you didn't leave the base and go to Toronto  :D

Eye In The Sky said:
Lots we don't know about the circumstances other than...."Borden".  ;D

Yup, and some of us were trying to gather more info to stave off at least a bit of speculation before our inquiry was labelled as irrelevant.  ::)

And that was my bad.  I never thought about the 'on course and rations' part  :whistle:  (if that is where you were leaning...I thought you were going on the 'on course' part vice the rations, which I completely missed)

;D

Good catch on your and Sidemount's part though! 

Eye In The Sky said:
And that was my bad.  I never thought about the 'on course and rations' part  :whistle:

;D

Good catch on your and Sidemount's part though!
I only thought about it as Im heading to Borden for course on CFTPO in a few weeks haha.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

sidemount said:
I only thought about it as Im heading to Borden for course on CFTPO in a few weeks haha.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

And I didn't think of it because I am on course, TD and not paying for rations or staying in SQs.  And...I should be studying not...this.  ha!

Last time I was in Borden on course, if you went home (primary residence) on weekend leave, you didn't get TD for those days.

Needless to say, I didn't go home as much...  ::)

PMedMoe said:
Last time I was in Borden on course, if you went home (primary residence) on weekend leave, you didn't get TD for those days.

Needless to say, I didn't go home as much...  ::)

Which is as per the regulations.  Why would someone be paid an allowance for being away from home on a day when they are at home?

dapaterson said:
Which is as per the regulations.  Why would someone be paid an allowance for being away from home on a day when they are at home?

Oh, I get that.  However, it wasn't always like that.

Tcm621 said:
EITS, It doesn't stop COs for making those orders. My current unit has a weekend leave pass requirement in their SQN Orders. The problem is that fighting it is bad for your career, even though they are wrong.

Heaven forbid someone step up and say something.  Bad for your career?  Are you kidding me?  There is a right way and a wrong way to address this issue.  A simple conversation should clear this up.

The leave policy manual wasn't always around, IIRC it first came out in 2009 (please correct me if I am mistaken).  The idea was to consolidate and clarify leave policy. 

I'd love to hear a story where an individual was charged with stepping outside the "travel radius" without a leave pass (post 2009).  A story where this individual wasn't required to stay close to home, 2 hour stand by for example.  Now that we have answers on "Boots and Beards" maybe someone can start asking about weekend leave at the next town hall. 

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Heaven forbid someone step up and say something.  Bad for your career?  Are you kidding me?  There is a right way and a wrong way to address this issue.  A simple conversation should clear this up.

The leave policy manual wasn't always around, IIRC it first came out in 2009 (please correct me if I am mistaken).  The idea was to consolidate and clarify leave policy. 

I'd love to hear a story where an individual was charged with stepping outside the "travel radius" without a leave pass (post 2009).  A story where this individual wasn't required to stay close to home, 2 hour stand by for example.  Now that we have answers on "Boots and Beards" maybe someone can start asking about weekend leave at the next town hall.

That simple conversation has been going on for years and the answer is always same, "Fight it at your own risk." I can name dozens of issues which are pretty black and white in the regs but COs and CWOs disregard them in favour of their own rules and god forbid you bring it up (toques and gloves anyone?) I think what you mean is that someone with sufficient rank to approach the Base Commander directly should be able to correct this with a simple conversation. For the rest of us, we get labeled as trouble makers and barracks block lawyers.

dapaterson said:

Not sure I agree with that interpretation of the CFTDTI actually.... the fact that you drive "home" for the weekend doesn't mean your place of duty isn't still your TD location and it doesn't mean you aren't still incurring incidental expenses as a result of being on TD outside the geographic area.

If I live in Toronto, and I'm in Borden on TD, and I take weekend leave and travel to Montreal... I still get incidentals. Why would I not still get incidents if I visit Toronto on weekend leave? I still incur the same incidental expenses (it's a reimbursement of incidental expenses hence why it is non-taxable).

In fact, if I pay 30-40 bucks in gas to drive home on the weekend to water my plants, cut my grass, feed my pet snake, do some laundry, etc, seems to fit pretty good the definition of what "incidental expenses" are for.

There's no part under "7.16 Incidental expense allowance" para 3 (No entitlement) that says you won't be entitled to TD if you are on weekend/annual leave or if you happen to travel home instead of travelling somewhere else.

Back