• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Treadmill Timewasters

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok, here is a bitch:

There I was this morning at the gym runnning my guts out on the treadmill.................this, let me call her voluptuous, woman hops on the treadmill beside me..........I'm thinking, at least she is putting in the effort.........she then proceeds to WALK, not quickly, but WALK for the next 15 minutes and then gets off...................now, I am all for people working out at there own pace but come on, do people who walk need to use the treadmill when there is a perfectly good, cushioned track about 300 meters away?

A pet peeve of mine, just curious as to other peoples thoughts.

Did she have a book to read?  Was there a TV in front of her?  If there was, she probably thought she was doing great.......multi-tasking and all.   ;D

did you even think that she was trying to get your attention & give you a "pick me up"
it is obvious that you weren't ignorant of her charms ;)

Nah - you're just a crusty old Engineer :)

Chimo!

Oh, BTW, there are a bunch of Fem types at this HQ who run their guts out - both indoors & on outdoor track (when they've plowed it). Guess you just got "lucky".

I guess I'm not alone in this being a pet peeve. The only caveat I have is IF they crank the incline so that it is simulating a hill (and, IMO, the only effective use of the treadmill, as leaving it at 0 degrees accomplishes little or nothing).

The same thing goes for the bikes, elliptical trainer, etc. If a person has a chit or rehab requirements, they should get priority, but to see a pers just gently go through the motions on a valuable piece of gear (only because they are lazy) causes me to seeth with rage (calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean, calm .....)

Al

Maybe I'm nuts, but couldn't the same thing be said of people that run on the treadmills? Walking or running, either can be done outside.

Glorified Ape said:
couldn't the same thing be said of people that run on the treadmills? Walking or running, either can be done outside.

Definitely.

But this makes me laugh:
George Wallace said:
Did she have a book to read?  Was there a TV in front of her?  If there was, she probably thought she was doing great.......multi-tasking and all.   ;D
  Most are barely walking or are nearly falling off the mill because there are so deeply into their copy of Reader's Digest or the paper. Actually, it can be quite entertaining on those longer runs when you get bored.  :D

geo said:
Oh, BTW, there are a bunch of Fem types at this HQ who run their guts out - both indoors & on outdoor track (when they've plowed it). Guess you just got "lucky".

Yeah, but think of the effort required to catch those types...

Today's society would dictate that your partake in the "Catch and Release" program.

It would be a good workout though.  ;D

Glorified Ape said:
Maybe I'm nuts, but couldn't the same thing be said of people that run on the treadmills? Walking or running, either can be done outside.

I couldn't agree more however at 0600 in Gagetown at this time of year, it is dark. Not to mentioned that we finally seem to have winter on us.

geo said:
did you even think that she was trying to get your attention & give you a "pick me up"

Chimo!

Ewwwwwwww

geo said:

Chimo!

I wouldnt have wished her to a Crewman!!

2023 said:
I couldn't agree more however at 0600 in Gagetown at this time of year, it is dark. Not to mentioned that we finally seem to have winter on us.

That's why there are head lamps and strap on sneaker treads, are you soft?

Did you think maybe she is trying to improve her physical condition and is doing the best she can. Perhaps being less critical and more encouraging to people "less" fit might get more into the gym.  :salute:

Chimo said:
Did you think maybe she is trying to improve her physical condition and is doing the best she can. Perhaps being less crtical and more encouraging to people "less" fit might get more into the gym.  :salute:

Hey like I said, I am all for people trying to get fit, but come on, walking on the treadmill???

Hey.  It's better than nothing.  Who knows....maybe that's all she can do right now due to a medical reason.  You never know.  Maybe she's not voluptous....maybe she's pregnant. 

While we're on the subject of treadmills (kind of)... I realise that the treadmill is not a good substitution for actually running outside on a track... but I'd like to know exactly what running on a track has over a treadmill? Besides the obvious (muscle endurance), is there a difference in health benifits? I always hear people simply saying that you should reach your target heartrate and keep it there for 20-30 minutes at least 3 times a week. If you can achieve that heartrate on a treadmill, would it be just as healthy as if I did on a track?

Hmmm.... methinks we have a terminology problem here...

Voluptuous = having a large bosom and pleasing curves
are we talking more about .........
reubenesque = Deceptive term used in personals by females, usually meaning "FAT"

I think that a major part of the original intent of the initial post has been forgotten: she was walking on the treadmill, when she could have just as easily been walking on the track. MOST people I know that use the treadmill use it for the features that it has: incline ability, varying speeds, etc. If this person was using it at a "prime" time (i.e. when there are people waiting) this is a major annoyance. If there was no one waiting, not a big drama.

Let's not lose sight of the the forest for the tree's (and when he said voluptuous, I think he was probably using veiled speech for "land monster"). And being pregnant (IMO) isn't an excuse to get morbidly obese. No, I've never been pregnant, for obvious gender reasons, but if that is an acceptable excuse (pregnancy) to become obese, I will use my excessive testosterone count for an acceptable accuse to be an ignorant asshole any time the situation strikes me (it's nice to know that I'd have an actual excuse for a behavior I exhibit frequently).

Al

Back