• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tribute at work

freeze_time311

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone. We just put this up on the outside wall at my work. It took months but we finally finished it. Look closely, there's alot of history in this. What do you think?

Jimmy

Looks decent. Did you and your colleagues paint it yourselves?

Loachman said:
Looks decent. Did you and your colleagues paint it yourselves?

No, I wish. This is my part-time job at our local Royal Canadian Legion here in Stonewall, MB. All the members sat down over months and discussed what should be on the mural. I like the Vimy memorial at the back. I'm not sure of the artists name, but he is a local boy.

nevermind, you "disclosed" in your second post... Legion branch in Stonewall MB.

I'd been wondering what non military business would permit the painting of such a mural.
Now it makes sense.

Freeze said:
No, I wish. This is my part-time job at our local Royal Canadian Legion here in Stonewall, MB. All the members sat down over months and discussed what should be on the mural. I like the Vimy memorial at the back. I'm not sure of the artists name, but he is a local boy.
Really nice.
It looks like a "print" of some sort, like a banner?, would it be possible to find out about getting a digital copy of it? I understand that there could be copyrights involved, if so, no problems. PM me if possible, I'm in MB myself.

Cataract Kid said:
Really nice.
It looks like a "print" of some sort, like a banner?, would it be possible to find out about getting a digital copy of it? I understand that there could be copyrights involved, if so, no problems. PM me if possible, I'm in MB myself.

The artist is a legion member who usually comes in on fridays. I don't know him that well, but I'll ask him. He was hired by he legion, so technically I could talk to the president and see what I can do.

if the work was commissioned by the Legion then the art belongs to the Branch
If the work was donated/sold to the legion, then the art belongs to the artist.

regardless, the artish should be brought in on it - he'll probably feel flattered more than anything else.

geo said:
if the work was commissioned by the Legion then the art belongs to the Branch
If the work was donated/sold to the legion, then the art belongs to the artist.

regardless, the artish should be brought in on it - he'll probably feel flattered more than anything else.

I agree, which is why I'll talk to him first. Give me the weekend, I should know by monday.

Sorry for the delay. The artist hasn't been in for a while so I didn't get a chance to talk to him myself. Although I did find out a bit of information. The work was commissioned by the legion, and the artist spray painted the whole thing over 4 separate sheets. I noticed in the bottom right corner of the picture, he also had some family and friends help as well. Next time I'm at work, I'll get his name and contact information. From my understanding, all the artist does for a living, is art. So if anyone is interested in contacting him, just let me know.

Jimmy

wow, that is very well done. Does the soldier on the motorcycle mean anything significant?

R.O.S said:
wow, that is very well done. Does the soldier on the motorcycle mean anything significant?

It's from a WW2 recruiting poster.

ww2newarmy.jpg

Back