• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Troops Who Responded to COVID-19 Crisis Are Now Eligible for These Medals

US troops will also qualify for one of those medals for another CONUS based operation.

Troops who served in the United States Capitol response to the insurrection on Jan. 6 and who served in the 2021 presidential inauguration qualify for the Armed Forces Service Medal . . .

An exception also exists because of the pandemic, according to the authorizing memo for the award. Service members can qualify for the award even if they served just one day on either Capitol or inauguration duty if that service resulted in the service member contracting the virus, or if their service was terminated early to comply with COVID-19 measures.

I think that if the Crown were to create a Covid related medal, they would be better off to create a generic one for everyone involved: health care workers, first responders, military, and probably a lot of other deserving people. They could also create a domestic service medal as well. We do enough domestic ops to justify it. Even if this dosent happen I could see a lot more Queens Platinum Julibee Medals being handed out across the country in 2022 then might have been under normal circumstances.
The Platinum Jubilee Medal isn't happening, I can't see the government completely not recognizing those who were involved with covid (including medical workers, first responders, etc)

The Americans are kind of turning into the Soviets with how easily they give out medals. There was even a proposed medal specifically for drone pilots, the Distinguished Warfare Medal, that would have ranked higher than a Bronze Star with V device.

They did end up making a drone pilot medals, ranking lower than the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.

The Americans are kind of turning into the Soviets with how easily they give out medals. There was even a proposed medal specifically for drone pilots, the Distinguished Warfare Medal, that would have ranked higher than a Bronze Star with V device.

They did end up making a drone pilot medals, ranking lower than the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.

Inflation, it's not just about economics:

Medal inflation is a term used by the media particularly in the United States to describe the increase in the number of medals awarded to the armed forces in recent times and a perceived devaluing of medals because of this. It has been discussed since at least 1979 when a book was published relating to the Vietnam War. The War on Terror and particularly the 2003 Invasion of Iraq saw a resurgence in coverage, as there was a rapid increase in the number of medals awarded by the American forces. There was, however, a significant reduction in the volume of medals as the war entered the counter-insurgency phase.

US General Colin Powell described the practice saying that:

the Legion of Merit I received? It might have meant more to me in a war where medals were not awarded so indiscriminately. I remember once, as division G-3, attending a battalion change-of-command ceremony at one firebase where the departing CO was awarded three silver stars, the nation's third highest award for valor, plus a clutch of other medals, after a tour lasting six months. He had performed ably, at times heroically. He was popular with his men. Yet, his troops had to stand there and listen to an overheated description of a fairly typical performance ... The departing battalion commander's 'package', a silver star, a legion of merit and air medals just for logging helicopter time, became almost standard issue."[6]

See also,

4 pages.

STOP.

Accept your job. Do your job. No medals required.

Until the next round of 'The Queen is not yet Dead' medals come out, of course, then it's Devil take the Hindmost'.

Having said that, 2023 is just around the corver so you'd be well advised to BNE-BNO (Brown Nose Early, Brown Nose Often) :)

Until the next round of 'The Queen is not yet Dead' medals come out, of course, then it's Devil take the Hindmost'.

Having said that, 2023 is just around the corver so you'd be well advised to BNE-BNO (Brown Nose Early, Brown Nose Often) :)
There is not going to be a Canadian Platinum Jubliee Medal in 2022. The Liberal government does not seem to like to introduce new medals. The most recent medals introduced were the Polar Medal and the Sovereign's Medal for Volunteers in 2015, under the Conservative Government who would lose the election a few months later.

There is not going to be a Canadian Platinum Jubliee Medal in 2022. The Liberal government does not seem to like to introduce new medals. The most recent medals introduced were the Polar Medal and the Sovereign's Medal for Volunteers in 2015, under the Conservative Government who would lose the election a few months later.

I see you've already named it. Well done. Take a medal :)

There's a petition sponsored by Cheryl Gallant to institute a Platinum Jubilee Medal.
Petition e-3310 - Petitions

So herein lies the question: Are medals for risk/hardship, or for conduct during operations?

If it's the former, then do the staff at MacDill AFB (Tampa, FL) or Bahrain get medals revoked? If it's the latter, then if the actions of an RPA crew (not just pilot) is worthy of a medal, should they not get it regardless of their location?

The USAF have given RPA crews Meritorious Service and Air Force Commendation medals too: USAF to Give RPA Crews Prominent Awards - Air Force Magazine

The RAF have given their Reaper crews medals for operations as well: 'Phenomenal' Reaper Crews Receive First Op Shader Medals

So herein lies the question: Are medals for risk/hardship, or for conduct during operations?

If it's the former, then do the staff at MacDill AFB (Tampa, FL) or Bahrain get medals revoked? If it's the latter, then if the actions of an RPA crew (not just pilot) is worthy of a medal, should they not get it regardless of their location?

The USAF have given RPA crews Meritorious Service and Air Force Commendation medals too: USAF to Give RPA Crews Prominent Awards - Air Force Magazine

The RAF have given their Reaper crews medals for operations as well: 'Phenomenal' Reaper Crews Receive First Op Shader Medals
There are medals for both. What medals are supposed to do is tell a story about someone's career. Campaign and Service Medals are supposed to describe actions a member has participated in while Individual Medals (i.e. Decorations) for Valour, Bravery or Merit are supposed to denote their Individual Achievement.

I don't see an issue with issuing a medal for participating in OP LASER. In fact, I think the SSM is exactly what should be awarded for this type of action:

"The Special Service Medal (SSM) recognizes members of the Canadian Forces (CF) who have performed a service determined to be under exceptional circumstances, in a clearly defined locality for a specified duration. The SSM recognizes approved activities underway on 11 June 1984 or subsequently established. This medals is always issued with a bar that specifies the special service being recognized, each bar having its own criteria.

Exceptional circumstance - I would say a global pandemic qualifies as that
Clearly defined locality - The political confines of Canada
Specified duration - Whatever we deem appropriate

Issued with a Bar - OP LASER or we just amend the HUMANITARIAN Bar to read:

An aggregate of 30 days of honourable service performed outside inside Canada in support of any humanitarian operation conducted in response to a disaster or human conflict, set out in the schedule, including rescue, relief, and reconstruction operations, and provided the service has not been acknowledged by the award of any other honour that is part of or is recognized by the Canadian Honours System.

There are medals for both. What medals are supposed to do is tell a story about someone's career. Campaign and Service Medals are supposed to describe actions a member has participated in while Individual Medals (i.e. Decorations) for Valour, Bravery or Merit are supposed to denote their Individual Achievement.

I don't see an issue with issuing a medal for participating in OP LASER. In fact, I think the SSM is exactly what should be awarded for this type of action:

"The Special Service Medal (SSM) recognizes members of the Canadian Forces (CF) who have performed a service determined to be under exceptional circumstances, in a clearly defined locality for a specified duration. The SSM recognizes approved activities underway on 11 June 1984 or subsequently established. This medals is always issued with a bar that specifies the special service being recognized, each bar having its own criteria.

Exceptional circumstance - I would say a global pandemic qualifies as that
Clearly defined locality - The political confines of Canada
Specified duration - Whatever we deem appropriate

Issued with a Bar - OP LASER or we just amend the HUMANITARIAN Bar to read:

An aggregate of 30 days of honourable service performed outside inside Canada in support of any humanitarian operation conducted in response to a disaster or human conflict, set out in the schedule, including rescue, relief, and reconstruction operations, and provided the service has not been acknowledged by the award of any other honour that is part of or is recognized by the Canadian Honours System.
SSM would be an option, though personally I think that DOMOPS would deserve their own distinct bar. Alternatively, maybe an Operational Service Medal- Domestic. I think explicit recognition of Canadian troops serving within our borders on operations to protect and assist Canadians is worthy. Is it troops’ job? Absolutely. But so is most of the other stuff medals are awarded for. Canadian troops helping Canadians is worth veneration, I think.

SSM would be an option, though personally I think that DOMOPS would deserve their own distinct bar. Alternatively, maybe an Operational Service Medal- Domestic. I think explicit recognition of Canadian troops serving within our borders on operations to protect and assist Canadians is worthy. Is it troops’ job? Absolutely. But so is most of the other stuff medals are awarded for. Canadian troops helping Canadians is worth veneration, I think.
Who knows, maybe the medal will be created retroactively 20-30 years n the future.

Back