• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not (various polling, etc.)

The worst PM in history, and now its looking like his own party might make him take the ride all the way down the drain. No off ramp. What a legacy - :ROFLMAO:

I look forward to what (former) members of the LPC have to say a few years from now on this.

I look forward to what (former) members of the LPC have to say a few years from now on this.
It was the work of anti vaxxer pro-convoy mostly racist and misogynistic MAGA extreme right wing voters who stole the election.

I'm consigned to defeat in 2025. I'm sure Team Trudeau will pull a bunch of promises and gift bags out of their "back holes" and convince Canadians to vote for them.

Waking up this morning to see a 30 year strong hold in the center of Toronto taken out was really enjoyable. The LPC voters there are probably barricading themselves right now.

The worst PM in history, and now its looking like his own party might make him take the ride all the way down the drain. No off ramp. What a legacy - :ROFLMAO:

He will be treated gently. The Trudeau name is something akin to sacred in the Liberal Party and that party does not punish its former leaders. Justin Trudeau will find well paid seats on various boards including https://ccbc.com/about/board-of-directors/ and Power Corporation of Canada | Leadership and there will be well paid speaking engagements around the world. He will have a comfortable life compete with travel on private jets and holidays on private islands.

It was the work of anti vaxxer pro-convoy mostly racist and misogynistic MAGA extreme right wing voters who stole the election.

Not entirely wrong... Trudeau has snubbed 60% of the country with one of those labels for one reason or another.

He will be treated gently. The Trudeau name is something akin to sacred in the Liberal Party and that party does not punish its former leaders. Justin Trudeau will find well paid seats on various boards including https://ccbc.com/about/board-of-directors/ and Power Corporation of Canada | Leadership and there will be well paid speaking engagements around the world. He will have a comfortable life compete with travel on private jets and holidays on private islands.

Probably. I don't think that will stop a few disgruntled former serving LPC'ers to reveal what went on behind the curtain and it won't be pretty. It won't change much, only be of entertainment value.

Trudeau won't step down until the power brokers within the Laurentien Elite tell him to. They are still making gobs of money from Red China and the ME and maintaining their relationships. Even with trudeau's ham fisted handling of both. PP will start digging into their profits and influences, so they need trudeau to hold on til the last minute.

I’ve said this before, but one of the best lines about this was “Trudeau’s biggest fan, aside from his family, is Pierre Poilievre”.

If JT decides to step down, the CPC will have to shift their strategy.

I’ve said this before, but one of the best lines about this was “Trudeau’s biggest fan, aside from his family, is Pierre Poilievre”.

If JT decides to step down, the CPC will have to shift their strategy.
Why? Unless they pick someone that hasn't had a seat, they're all tainted by PMJT. Any Liberal and NDP MP since 2015 has enabled his mismanagement and destruction of our economy.

Why? Unless they pick someone that hasn't had a seat, they're all tainted by PMJT. Any Liberal and NDP MP since 2015 has enabled his mismanagement and destruction of our economy.
If it’s a change election, Trudeau leaving may be that change. The CPC has framed everything against Trudeau. If he leaves it could change voter intentions. PPs personal approval ratings are not exactly stellar.

If it’s a change election, Trudeau leaving may be that change. The CPC has framed everything against Trudeau. If he leaves it could change voter intentions. PPs personal approval ratings are not exactly stellar.
Depends if it's an election on Trudeau or an election on Liberal policies. If it's on the policies that every Liberal and NDP MP have championed, it doesn't matter who the figurehead is. PMJT I'd an easy target because he makes himself one, but if you think changing leaders will change the Liberal decline then maybe you want to take a gander and the amazing parallels with the decline of the last Trudeau as PM.

Any placeholder Liberal leader will get the same treatment as John Turner, although I don't think it will be as much of a thumping as the political blinders of the hard left in major urban centers will stop that level of message being sent.

PP can literally just sound like PMJT in Question Period by reading prepped soundbite statements and cruise to a majority without effort. The only thing that might help the Liberals is an election call before all those 2020 purchased homes come up for mortgage renewal. Massive foreclosures or defaults aren't good for polling numbers.

I'm consigned to defeat in 2025. I'm sure Team Trudeau will pull a bunch of promises and gift bags out of their "back holes" and convince Canadians to vote for them.

Waking up this morning to see a 30 year strong hold in the center of Toronto taken out was really enjoyable. The LPC voters there are probably barricading themselves right now.
I hope and pray that Jagmeet grows a pair and pulls the plug soon. There is no end of damage that a cornered, defeated, bitter animal can bestow upon our poor benighted country in 15 months if he doesn't

Pretty much what @Remius said. But, had the CPC brought it a bit wider to the LPC rather than specifically PMJT (Justinflation to name one example), then him leaving wouldn’t be as big of an issue to the CPC messaging.

Say PMJT leaves. CPC will likely amend the messaging that [LPC leader] is just JT again. Depending on who that leader ends up being, it may not hit as well with the public - Mark Carney, for example. I’m not sure people would really equate Mark Carney with Justin Trudeau.

Or, the CPC may say that under a different leader, the LPC is still the same and that the CPC vote is a vote for change. That is an alley-oop for the LPC to say “ok, so CPC, what is your platform for said change”. While @Good2Golf has mentioned the CPC platform in their website, that would either:

a) force them to reiterate it (for most folks who don’t closely follow politics, it would be the first time they hear it) and spoil the strategy of not publicizing your platform so the other parties can poke holes in it, or

b) don’t say anything about their platform, which would make voters wonder why they don’t in what is pretty obviously an election run

Depends if it's an election on Trudeau or an election on Liberal policies. If it's on the policies that every Liberal and NDP MP have championed, it doesn't matter who the figurehead is. PMJT I'd an easy target because he makes himself one, but if you think changing leaders will change the Liberal decline then maybe you want to take a gander and the amazing parallels with the decline of the last Trudeau as PM.
As much as I would like every election to be on policy, I’m betting this will be on the person.

If you can spare an hour, and want to hear long-time Team Red warhorses talking about how the TO by-election has changed the landscape (and not for the better) for Team Red - with Team Blue & Orange partisan commentators heartily agreeing - including a direct callout by the Team Red host (20+ years working with Paul Martin) to JT himself saying, "One more year as Prime Minister, or a future for the Liberal Party - that's your choice", check this out ....

Meanwhile, Michelle Rempel Garner's take: time for a general election ....
Link also archived here if the previous one didn't work for you.

Probably. I don't think that will stop a few disgruntled former serving LPC'ers to reveal what went on behind the curtain and it won't be pretty. It won't change much, only be of entertainment value.
And what is it you think "went on behind the curtain"? I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's just politics as usual with nothing more other than the added narcissism of the leader.

While those who actually pay attention to the details (and I think most on this site fall into that category) are aware of many potentially unappetising LPC policies, the public at large can probably only name one actual Liberal policy that could be used as a "target" for the CPC: the carbon tax. There are many within the LPC who, while connected to the carbon tax by association, were not public champions of that policy.

A recent angus reid survey found that 60% of respondents are uncommitted voters. That's a lot of potential Liberal voters if they make the right changes. (what's kind of scary is that that same survey found that the most appealing alternative leaders is Freeland)

Inflation is creeping back up again. Either Trudeau calls an election for the sole purpose of extricating the LPC from that economic mess by way of defeat, or starts doing all of the things he doesn’t want to do to make housing available “right now” at a much cheaper price. Cut spending, cut government work force, slam the immigration door shut, revoke work permits, stop taxing, and pump lots more oil to back the currency. Otherwise, he will cook himself, his party, and an entire generation of citizens born in Canada who might very well end up unemployed and homeless. That’s the ugly truth.

I hope and pray that Jagmeet grows a pair and pulls the plug soon. There is no end of damage that a cornered, defeated, bitter animal can bestow upon our poor benighted country in 15 months if he doesn't
Agreed. We all suffer from any scorched earth policy the cornered rat could dream up between now and next October.

Reactions: QV
Back