• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not (various polling, etc.)

I love that in the Star article the LPC MPs are staying it's the messaging that's killing them... If they were doing as much good for Canadians as they imagine, they wouldn't need to worry about messaging...

Even the stuff the focus on, like climate fluff, is not what is top of mind for most Canadians.
We’ll know they’re serious at the next cabinet shuffle when they announce the new Minister of Groceries position.

We’ll know they’re serious at the next cabinet shuffle when they announce the new Minister of Groceries position.
Thought we already had one of those?

Food price tags hidden during Freelands announcement.
wbesite-freeland.png

I love that in the Star article the LPC MPs are staying it's the messaging that's killing them... If they were doing as much good for Canadians as they imagine, they wouldn't need to worry about messaging...
Methinks part of the messaging problem is that telling people having a hard time, "you're not really having a hard time, compared to the rest of the G7/G20/whatever ..." may not be the best approach.

Thought we already had one of those?

Food price tags hidden during Freelands announcement.
View attachment 80019

kirsten dunst shrug GIF by O&O, Inc

I found a new news site and have been reading more international stuff. I'm not seeing a lot of articles bemoaning other countries economic standing. I also believe I read where the trudeau libs have their own formula for figuring economic standing which favours the liberal messaging. We're are apparently not in as good a shape as he says we are, comparatively.

Last edited:

Even the stuff the focus on, like climate fluff, is not what is top of mind for most Canadians.
The sparks that the Star writer expects are probably more the the the Liberal MPs able give right now . I think I've heard that phrase somewhere before? I'm sure it will come to me.
Liberal caucus members are loyal to a fault . Sadly they make a vice out of a virture.
And it will if things continue this way it will cost them dearly at election time.

As far as I’m concerned, Trudeau went from “not ripe” (i.e. “Not Ready”) to “past best before date” on his first day. Only now is the electorate tuning into that. Having said that, there’s still two years till an election. That may as well be 20 years from now; a lot can change. Though he’s a lousy governor, he’s an amazing campaigner. And never underestimate the Tories’ ability to step on their own dick.

One of Rafe Mair’s political axioms was “In politics, you don’t have to be a 9 or a 10 to win. If your opponent is a 2, you just have to be a 3 to beat them”.

Trudeau plans to force through a number of big-ticket, urban vote getting bills in the next session. That should sway the polls in his favour again. How much will likely be dependant on the price tag for those bills.

Using C-21 as an example (because the GTA, urban Québec and the Lower Mainland of BC love it), the last budget allocated only $181M to the assault style firearms "buy back" plan, below his own campaign estimate of $200M and just over a quarter of the PBO's estimate of $785M. Industry estimates - which the Liberals have widely discredited - are in the $5B range.

Could that result in a confidence vote? Possibly. Trudeau has threatened to make other key votes confidence motions in order to keep the NDP on side, knowing they can't afford to contest an election effectively.

A second order effect of his continued "Supply and Confidence Agreement" (his pseudo-majority) is that it will highlight how powerless the CPC still is to thwart his agenda.

A second order effect of his continued "Supply and Confidence Agreement" (his pseudo-majority) is that it will highlight how powerless the CPC still is to thwart his agenda.

You have a very good point. The problem for JT is I think the majority of the country wants to see things other than firearms legislation.

JT needs to appeal outside his base now, his support is vaporizing fast.

You have a very good point. The problem for JT is I think the majority of the country wants to see things other than firearms legislation.

I’m not sure there is anyone outside the base to go and get. His hardcore base isn’t going anywhere, it’s the middle that finally decided that they are tired of him. He needs to get them back on board but I’m not sure anything short of him stepping down will do that.

Keep in mind that Paul Martin had a 15 point lead against Harper and so did Mulcair at one point. That was heading into an election though and not at the end of a ten year run either. Two years is a lot of time but it is also a lot of time to stay annoyed and tired of JT.

The majority of the country doesn't matter. Only the GTA, Québec and eastern urban Canada decide the next government. The die is cast before the polls close west of the Rockies.

Fair point, and it applies to both sides...

I just have one some blocked because they prefer to assume people are "ist/phobes" based on no evidence, apart from not agreeing 100% with their positions.
I’m not sure there is anyone outside the base to go and get. His hardcore base isn’t going anywhere, it’s the middle that finally decided that they are tired of him. He needs to get them back on board but I’m not sure anything short of him stepping down will do that.

Keep in mind that Paul Martin had a 15 point lead against Harper and so did Mulcair at one point. That was heading into an election though and not at the end of a ten year run either. Two years is a lot of time but it is also a lot of time to stay annoyed and tired of JT.
There are lots of things Trudeau could do that would make me want to vote liberal, just as there are things that PP could say he'll do to make me want to vote Con.

But then again, I'm not stupid and I realize that there's no way between now and the election that ANYONE could possibly fix inflation and the housing crisis.

That being said, actual initiatives aimed at bringing down inflation, actual initiatives to reduce housing prices, actual initiatives to reduce the cost of renting, actual initiatives to increase the stock of housing, getting rid of the carbon tax, increasing support to Ukraine, making long term specific commitments to NATO, a commitment to make decisions based on expert advice when it comes to health care policies... These are all things that if Trudeau did I could possibly support him.

well spoken. But can you think of any 6 month period in the last several years where Trudeau hasn't either antagonized someone or got caught out from a legal perspective. He is his own worst enemy

So here is the thing I think the LPC et al are missing out on:

"Winning" the GTA is no longer appealing to urbanites or the (mythical) middle class. The people who are there are the ones who could not leave. Toronto is full of 2 things: a select portion of haves, and a growing number of have nots. This is a similar scene in most large communities in Ontario and Quebec. Those that could have left 2018-2022, did; and in great numbers as well.

Where? A lot went to Alberta, a lot went to the Maritimes, but it's no longer "Toronto and Montreal win the election!"

Population wise, the votes are the same. Demographic wise, the same transit and eco subsidy promises won't hold weight for someone struggling to afford rent in an inflated market.

I see it going like this: the NDP will pick up seats from the votes of the downtrodden in those urban centres, CPC will pick up seats in the areas the GTA refugees went, the LPC loses on both fronts for remaining tone deaf as ever.

I would hope you take a hard
look at all Trudeau's other bogus commitments before you bite on that vaporware.

He's the proverbial husband caught cheating for the 8th time, promising their partner they'll change after realizing they're packing their bags.
I think a more apt metaphor would that they are on a sinking ship who's captain refuses to stop the engines or change course to avoid disaster.

I think the reason we haven't seen quicker and more positive action by the government to tackle a lot of issues is that trying to solve those issues would distract them from their true objectives. They are desperately trying to survive the negative public uproar, hoping they can get to their destination before the ship sinks. Operation Pedestal and the LPC is the SS Ohio.

This is beyond belief.

In the first place, for the Prime Minister in a democratic country to threaten the heads of legal corporations with unspecified consequences if they do not bend to his will is beyond the pale. It is unacceptable.

In the second place, what does Trudeau expect a industry where the retail margins are widely accepted to be about 1.5% to do about food prices? Should Sobeys buy eggs from the egg cartel at $2.50/dozen and sell them at $2.00/dozen?
Should Loblaws buy Milk from the milk cartel at $1.50/l and sell it for $1.00?

Maybe, just maybe we should be looking at marketing boards.

Maybe, just maybe we should be looking at what $2.00/l diesel does to farmers and truckers.

Do the Liberals get their economic advice from from dime store Marxists?

This is beyond belief.

In the first place, for the Prime Minister in a democratic country to threaten the heads of legal corporations with unspecified consequences if they do not bend to his will is beyond the pale. It is unacceptable.

In the second place, what does Trudeau expect a industry where the retail margins are widely accepted to be about 1.5% to do about food prices? Should Sobeys buy eggs from the egg cartel at $2.50/dozen and sell them at $2.00/dozen?
Should Loblaws buy Milk from the milk cartel at $1.50/l and sell it for $1.00?

Maybe, just maybe we should be looking at marketing boards.

Maybe, just maybe we should be looking at what $2.00/l diesel does to farmers and truckers.

Do the Liberals get their economic advice from from dime store Marxists?

No. They get it from Marxists with PhDs.

Back