• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trump administration 2024-2028

Therein lies the problem. The US is a great place to be if you have wealth and influence. If you are an average Joe or Joanne, the overall feel must be quite Hobbesian.

In keeping with the OP here is a comparison between US and Canada:

  • 350K USD will get you into the top 5% of earners. In Canada the threshold is 162K CAD, and 294K CAD will get you into the top 1%..
  • According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the typical full-time worker in the US earned a median wage of $1,235 per week in the first quarter of 2026, which would total about $64,220 per year
  • In Canada, the Full-Time Worker Median: Estimated around $60,000 – $62,000 as wage growth adjusts for recent economic conditions

So...the rich are much richer in the US, but the median income is close to identical between the two countries. Distribution of wealth matters.....

A senior GSO major is just shy of being in the top 5% (with no allowances).
 
I value more than money. There are other elements at play in my personal assessment of whether or not I want to move back to the US. I just turned down an opportunity to takeover the operation of a Cyber group in DC because I don't agree with the values etc of that foreign country.

I say that to highlight that every individual will have their own criteria, and income may not be the only differentiator they consider.
 
I value more than money. There are other elements at play in my personal assessment of whether or not I want to move back to the US. I just turned down an opportunity to takeover the operation of a Cyber group in DC because I don't agree with the values etc of that foreign country.

I say that to highlight that every individual will have their own criteria, and income may not be the only differentiator they consider.
I understand. I left 26yrs ago so the wife could do a MA at U of T because its cost was about 1/5 the cost of attending Emerson or Northeastern back in Boston. We stayed here because of the ability to have the kids attend French Immersion at no extra cost, the safety, more relaxed lifestyle in Burlington and at the time when buying a house 23yrs ago, the lower housing costs when compared to the Boston area. I don't regret our decision to have stayed here. IF we had not had children we most likely would have moved back to Boston eventually. Our overall tax level as 2 adults with no kids would have been less back in MA vs ON.
 
100% it does.

There are also a lot more people in the US that have access to annual 'income' that is NOT related to a W2 income (a T4 in Canada). They have much more robust opportunities to shelter and structure their 'income' from paying taxes associated with a traditional wage income. This creates a much much large pool of individuals living with high 'income levels' who really don't appear on the 'earned income' charts.

Have a look at the guy who wrote the book 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' and how much debt this guy carries and how his assets, debt, income is all structured to allow him to be a 'big fish' and live in those gated communities and such. He's just a single example but he represents tens of thousand, if not a few hundreds of thousands of Americans just like him. Do you think Canadian's have that ability? Do you think that there are more than a few dozen here in Canada that live like that?

So back to your points above. If your intelligent, ambitious and willing to put in some effort/hard work, it really doesn't take that much to be in that top 5% here in Canada. So, given that, if you pop your head over the fence and look south and you see that maybe with the same amount of effort, ambition and some extra hard work that you could parley that into another 100k or 250k or 1million a year would you not want to take that chance? I mean why not? You can always return back to Canada and go back to putting in the same amount of effort and slide right back into the top 5%? Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
All great until the plebes storm the gates and the guards say fuck it, I’ll take your helicopter and your passwords and GTFO.
 
Guess they wont have to rely on things like misplaced F-35 parts, for example?

[AP]Trump asked China’s president if he wants to buy US arms, ambassador says​



Come On What GIF by MOODMAN
 
Back
Top