• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Two Canadians wounded in suicide attack - 05 Dec 2006

Jaydub

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
2 Canadian soldiers hurt in suicide bombing
BILL GRAVELAND

Canadian Press

KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN — A suicide bomber targeted a Canadian convoy in Kandahar city on Tuesday, wounding two soldiers and six Afghan civilians.

The bomber, driving a minivan, detonated his load between a Nyala RG 31 armoured vehicle and a transport truck, said a Canadian Press reporter travelling with the convoy.

The two Canadians in the truck suffered cuts and bruises when the 90-kilogram glass windshield blew in on them from the force of the blast.

The bomber's body was seen laying face-down a nearby ditch.
Tuesday's attack happened on the same stretch of road where two Canadian soldiers were killed last Monday.

Corporal Albert Storm and Chief Warrant Officer Robert Girouard of the Royal Canadian Regiment's 1 Battalion were killed when a bomber attacked their Bison armoured personnel carrier. They were the 43rd and 44th Canadian soldiers to be killed in Afghanistan since 2002.

Some 2,500 Canadian troops are serving in Kandahar province as part of the NATO-led mission.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061205.wafghcan1205/BNStory/International/home

Terrible news.  But thank god no one was killed.

Terrible -- not by my count

Bomber 0
Coalition 1

;D

Infidel-6 said:
Terrible -- not by my count

Bomber 0
Coalition 1

;D
+1!

Also, from the "hearts and minds" perspective, let's hope that the families of the locals injured decide that the Taliban aren't for them and dial "1-800-NATO" next time some 'strangers' show up in town at night...

Hopefully the locals will start turning in these bombers and bomb factories.

I just saw the video on CTV. The damaged vehicle was an uparmoured HLVW (looked like the 10 ton wrecker). I know they say it was an RG 31 but the video clearly showed the damaged HLVW. Do they only release the names of the soldiers if they coming back home because of their injuries?

Jordan411, they tend not to release names when the members are staying in country, think about it would you like the Taliban to know you by name when you are there??

names are not published until such time as the injured soldier has contacted home & told family he is OK / messed up / Alive & happy to be alive.... etc....

Then the names can be released to the general public - never before -  you don't want to have a sit where a newsie pulls up at your front door, loking for your reaction, before you know what the "H" is going on

I hope the troops recover quickly. They'll be back in there to bring the fight back to the Taliban soon enough.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061205/afghan_suici_061205/20061205?hub=TopStories

Canadian convoy attacked on 'Ambush Alley'

another article on it

And Sgt. Guindo makes the news again- this time on TV. :D Glad his troops are alright.

Rock on, Sgt. Advance!

Back