• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.K. wife ordered to stop nagging so LOUDLY (for five years)

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
No, NOT from The Onion, but The Telegraph....
A nagging wife has been given an ASBO after keeping neighbours awake for three years with her constant quibbling.

Julie Griffiths, 43, breached a noise abatement order a staggering 47 times in three months this year, a court heard.

Residents living near the Griffiths' £75,000 mid-terraced home in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs., spent three years listening to her berating her long-suffering husband Norman, 63.

Griffiths was first served a notice in 1999 and was fined £500 when she breached it in 2010.

Stoke-on-Trent Magistrates Court heard her behaviour persisted over the next two years and environmental health officers installed monitoring equipment in a neighbour's home this July.

On Wednesday Griffiths pleaded guilty to failing to comply with the requirements of a noise abatement notice.

Staffordshire Magistrates Court imposed a five-year ASBO which prohibits her from engaging in behaviour which causes or is likely to cause a nuisance, disturbance, harassment or alarm to her neighbours.

She was warned she could go to jail for five years if she breaches the anti-social order, fined £500 and told to pay £250 costs and a £15 victim surcharge ....

"Everyone just feels so sorry for her husband Norman who is the sweetest man you could ever meet.

"He must have the patience of a saint."

Or he's deaf.  ;)

And after seeing her picture, hopefully blind, too!  :eek:

PMedMoe said:
And after seeing her picture, hopefully blind, too!  :eek:

*gag* Whooaa... she looks like a drop-kick in a sheperd's pie !!!

There ain't enough booze in the world to drink her beautiful.  :p

I would definitely NOT insert her into my tunic.

That beauty looks like she came in 5th place in a shovel fight.

the 48th regulator said:
Fell down climbing the ugly tree, and hit every branch on the way down.
Those marks are from people touching her with the ten foot pole.....she's freakin horrid.

FlyingDutchman said:
I'm sure she's beautiful on the inside.  Maybe.  One can hope.

Indeed. Beauty is only skin deep.

But ugly goes all the way through.  ;D

This is an interesting story but I suspect we're not getting the entire story.

How many of you noticed the line in the article, that she was a factory worker and the noise occurred after she had worked four days of 12 hours.  Quite frankly if I was working 4 day weeks of 12 hours each in a noisy factory environment, I too, would be raising my voice just to get my words heard.

I assume her home environment is not as noisy as a factory floor,  but if her husband doesn't respond,  I can understand why she would yell.

I have an 87 year old mother who has hearing problems and either doesn't hear or worse mishears and has to have everything repeated at a yell.  Her neighbours must wonder sometimes.  You can't stay too long in her house without asking her to turn the TV down so you can talk and be heard.  However I am grateful she is still with us and still can understand and take part in family events.  Her advice is appreciated, even if we don't always take it.

SherH2A said:

How many of you noticed the line in the article, that she was a factory worker and the noise occurred after she had worked four days of 12 hours.  Quite frankly if I was working 4 day weeks of 12 hours each in a noisy factory environment, I too, would be raising my voice just to get my words heard.

I assume her home environment is not as noisy as a factory floor,  but if her husband doesn't respond,  I can understand why she would yell.

Yeah... but she's still ugly as f*&% !!

SherH2A said:

I disagree with that statement . The Noise at Work Regulations 1989 and The Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005 in the UK are almost identical to what is in force here in Canada, and with use of the mandated hearing protection there is no issue of having to talk with a louder voice. Also I have work 12 hour days for 14 days straight on drilling rigs, with a low of +/-70 to a high of 180+ decibel's, and also have not had to talk in a loud voice when off shift.
Larry

Back