• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. 2012 Election

On Nov 6 Who Will Win President Obama or Mitt Romney ?

• President Obama

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 24 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
E.R. Campbell said:
Well, Gingrich's Souther Sweep appears to be in tatters ~ but Romney better hope he (Gingrich) hates him (Romney) enough to stay in the race because if the strong "conservative," religious and Tea Party vote doesn't split (as it's doing, right now, in Alabama and Mississippi, then Romney's road to the nomination is harder, not easier. Romney needs Gingrich to stay in for Louisiana (24 Mar) and Texas (29 May).

Almost time to eat my words ... after Romney's convincing (12%) victory in Illinois this evening he no longer must have Gingrich to split the vote; Gingrich is still a nice to have but the CNN pundits were opining that if Gingrich drops out it will suit Romney just as well as Santorum because the Gingrich supporters are not, automatically, going to Santorum - may they will split 50/50 or some (many?) may just stay home. In any event the CNN talking heads were projecting that even if Santorum wins Louisiana and Texas and a few others Romney will, most probably, secure the nomination (with 1144+ votes) on 5 Jun 12 when California and New Jersey vote.

Well, it's official.

Romney and Santorum have been given their Secret Service code names.

Romney = Javelin

Santorum = Petrus

A Javelin or a Petrus in the White House?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/what-romney-and-santorums-secret-service-code-names-tell-us/2012/03/20/gIQAV3wLQS_story.html?hpid=z6

The Secret Service offered “Javelin” for that reason, according to Romney’s campaign. Javelin was the name of a “pony” car built between 1967 and 1974 by American Motors Corp., which was once run by George Romney. A two-door hardtop, it was the sort of car one might expect to appeal to guys who liked to go fast — or who saw themselves as kinda cool in a slicked-back-hair kind of way. It was, in fact, one of Mitt Romney’s first cars.

Santorum is of an entirely different order. To those who know him, his selection of Petrus is perfect, again tinged with irony. In Latin, petrus means rock and also is associated with Saint Peter, the first pope of the Catholic Church. Jesus said to Peter, “Upon this rock I will build my church,” and so Peter did. St. Peter’s Basilica, the centerpiece of the Vatican, is built upon Peter’s bones.

I am resigned to Romney as the GOP candidate. I dont see how Santorum can close the delegate gap.

The Secret Service offered “Javelin” for that reason, according to Romney’s campaign. Javelin was the name of a “pony” car built between 1967 and 1974 by American Motors Corp., which was once run by George Romney. A two-door hardtop, it was the sort of car one might expect to appeal to guys who liked to go fast — or who saw themselves as kinda cool in a slicked-back-hair kind of way. It was, in fact, one of Mitt Romney’s first cars.

At least they didn't pick "Pacer" or "Gremlin".  ;D

An interesting perspective from David Frum, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the National Post:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/03/24/david-frum-trayvon-martin-and-the-backlash-against-the-backlash/
Trayvon Martin, and the backlash against the backlash

David Frum

Mar 24, 2012

Four years ago, black Americans mobilized to elect one of their own president of the United States. When asked, the overwhelming majority of black Americans still say they support Barack Obama. But the old enthusiasm has dwindled.

The economic crisis of 2008 hit black America hard, and the recovery since 2009 has largely passed black America by. Black unemployment rates look like something out of the Great Depression: Almost half of young black men cannot find work.

The cool, cerebral Obama does not much comfort or inspire those out of work, black or white. He is not an “I feel your pain” kind of politician.

While nobody doubts that Obama will carry 90% or more of the black vote in November, a lot of people have wondered how high the black turnout will be. If dispirited black Americans stay home in large numbers, Obama’s re-election challenge becomes that much greater. But what could possibly inspire them to the polls?

The answer may have just arrived — in the tragic form of the killing of a teenaged boy, Trayvon Martin.

Three weeks ago, young Martin was shot and killed by a neighbourhood watch volunteer in a gated community in the town of Sanford, Florida. Martin was black, the volunteer was of white-Hispanic background. Martin was unarmed. He was 100 pounds lighter than his killer. At the time of the shooting, he was walking back to the house in which he was staying, talking on his cellphone, and carrying a bag of candy he had just bought at a nearby store.

The more details emerge, the more it looks as if Martin was hunted and killed by a trigger-happy bully.

Yet local police have not arrested the killer. No charges have been laid. The killer claimed to have acted in self-defence, and despite many problems in his story — including the killer’s own violent history — the police opted to believe him.

Like nothing else since 2009, the Trayvon Martin case has jolted black America. Tens of thousands of people have signed digital petitions demanding a federal investigation. Demonstrations have begun to take place in Florida and elsewhere. A community that has had much reason since 2009 to ask, “Why bother with politics?” suddenly has found an answer.

Martin’s killer, George Zimmerman, could plead self-defence because of Florida’s peculiar gun laws. Under the old law inherited by the English-speaking world, an armed man has a “duty to retreat.” Not in Florida. In 2005, Florida adopted what’s called a “stand your ground” law. These laws — increasingly common in southern states — permit an armed man to shoot in self-defence even if he could have avoided the fight without shooting.

“Stand your ground” laws become especially lethal when combined with other new laws that grant people in the majority of U.S. states the right to carry weapons in public, and even concealed weapons.

U.S. gun laws have become more permissive even as U.S. crime rates have sharply declined. Why?

You can read the answer on the past four years’ worth of front pages on the hugely popular website, the Drudge Report. Month in, month out, Drudge spotlights gruesome black-on-white crimes. In a country of 300 million people, there are always examples. These same stories circulate in e-mail chains — and often become the focus of local right-wing talk-radio shows.

The U.S. journalist Mickey Kaus calls it “under-news”: news that never quite emerges into the national media, but that shapes the consciousness of millions of people. And what is being shaped is a conviction among many white people — especially fearful elderly whites in the South — that the Obama presidency has licensed a rampage of black-on-white violence. That’s not what the statistics say. But as Stephen Colbert would say: statistics are elitist.

As is so often the case, Rush Limbaugh gave these new racial fears their most explicit voice. In September 2009, after Drudge publicized an assault on an Illinois school bus, Limbaugh had this to say: “It’s Obama’s America, is it not? Obama’s America — white kids getting beat up on school buses now.”

This mood of “backlash” has dominated U.S. politics since 2009 — until now. Now the “backlash” has created an apparent martyr in Trayvon Martin. And it is in Martin’s name that the backlash against the backlash will be launched and be heard.

You think the 2012 election will be about economics? Think again.

National Post

Fear is a strong emotion and, as Québec voters routinely remind Canadians, so is revenge. Florida is an important swing state; will a combination of black mothers' fear of having their sons and daughters shot down in the street and black men's desire to exact revenge on white America be enough to swing the vote towards Obama in November?

There is more than enough black on black gun violence and yet there is outrage because a white guy did it ? Please.

tomahawk6 said:
There is more than enough black on black gun violence and yet there is outrage because a white guy did it ? Please.

There's outrage because a wannabe cop shot an innocent kid whose "crime" was going to a corner store to buy some Skittles and an iced tea. He was shot dead by what sounds like a paranoid lunatic, while he frantically called for help. Barring the emergence of some new evidence, that's inexcusable.

Redeye said:
There's outrage because a wannabe cop shot an innocent kid whose "crime" was going to a corner store to buy some Skittles and an iced tea. He was shot dead by what sounds like a paranoid lunatic, while he frantically called for help. Barring the emergence of some new evidence, that's inexcusable.

From what I've read, the outrage is more because the man has not been arrested yet.

Redeye said:

What part of the court system down there, or part of the law firm for either side do you work for that allows you to decide who is innocent and who is guilty. Only an egotistical, pompous, liberal elitist would presume to be able to judge a case, soley on media hype and report from half a globe away.

Give your head a big shake and shut your cake hole if your going to become judge and jury instead of discussing things on an educated level.

We get enough of your type of crap, moral outrage and high and mighty nanny state manifesto from the left leaning MSM and PR seeking politicians.

And then....

Witness: Martin attacked Zimmerman

Updated: Friday, 23 Mar 2012, 6:19 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 23 Mar 2012, 5:47 PM EDT

ORLANDO - A witness we haven't heard from before paints a much different picture than we've seen so far of what happened the night 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was shot and killed.

The night of that shooting, police say there was a witness who saw it all.

Our sister station, FOX 35 in Orlando, has spoken to that witness.

What Sanford Police investigators have in the folder, they put together on the killing of Trayvon Martin few know about.

The file now sits in the hands of the state attorney. Now that file is just weeks away from being opened to a grand jury.

It shows more now about why police believed that night that George Zimmerman shouldn't have gone to jail.

Zimmerman called 911 and told dispatchers he was following a teen. The dispatcher told Zimmerman not to.

And from that moment to the shooting, details are few.

But one man's testimony could be key for the police.

"The guy on the bottom who had a red sweater on was yelling to me: 'help, help…and I told him to stop and I was calling 911," he said.

Trayvon Martin was in a hoodie; Zimmerman was in red.

The witness only wanted to be identified as "John," and didn't not want to be shown on camera.

His statements to police were instrumental, because police backed up Zimmerman's claims, saying those screams on the 911 call are those of Zimmerman.

"When I got upstairs and looked down, the guy who was on top beating up the other guy, was the one laying in the grass, and I believe he was dead at that point," John said.

Zimmerman says the shooting was self defense. According to information released on the Sanford city website, Zimmerman said he was going back to his SUV when he was attacked by the teen.

Sanford police say Zimmerman was bloody in his face and head, and the back of his shirt was wet and had grass stains, indicating a struggle took place before the shooting

Kirkhill said:

That must be a lie! Redeye says so. Redeye says that the minority, underprivileged black guy was the victim. Redeye says the white, Jewish guy was the aggressor. Guns in the hands of Hebrew, white guys are weapons of aggression, not protection. Redeye says that, contrary to what the news knows now, that the white guy was the aggressor. Redeye will say that that evidence doesn't count, because it's "that damn media" the same "damn media" that he used above to slur and convict, in his mind, a white Jewish guy from half a world away while he's online in Afghanistan, instead of as a reporter for a paper in Florida where the incident took place.

However, that's what people need to realize. The Left gains support, credibility an status from bullying, selective reporting and outright lying. All things that Redeye uses to validate his fanatical and phantasmal opinions and views.

A tumour dies when it's source for living is cut off. A ludicrous, ignorant, nonsensical, partisan conversation\ discussion dies when you stop responding to the dick that continuously disagrees because Napoleon is dead and that pompous asshole thinks the should have the job.

Oh look, we found his T-Shirt!!!! :nod:

Looking at the above - Let me say we all have our off days

I'm not being sarcastic.  RG Be well.

I think this link provides a pretty good summary

The key thing that sticks in my mind - a 140Lb kid - kicking a 240 lb adults butt? If that's the case Zimmerman made the wrong career choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_4aOX-aVuI

recceguy said:
That must be a lie! Redeye says so. Redeye says that the minority, underprivileged black guy was the victim. Redeye says the white, Jewish guy was the aggressor. Guns in the hands of Hebrew, white guys are weapons of aggression, not protection. Redeye says that, contrary to what the news knows now, that the white guy was the aggressor. Redeye will say that that evidence doesn't count, because it's "that damn media" the same "damn media" that he used above to slur and convict, in his mind, a white Jewish guy from half a world away while he's online in Afghanistan, instead of as a reporter for a paper in Florida where the incident took place.

WTF is this? I never said any of that - I hadn't seen the account of this other witness before I posted that, fair. I also said nothing about the nationality or religious bent of the shooter. From my understanding, the victim made a 911 call trying in which he plead for help, which included what was in all likelihood the fatal shot. If there's more evidence, great, let's hear it. But I'm still at a loss to understand how shooting an unarmed kid, who by the accounts I read was followed by a man who appointed himself neighbourhood watch, is acceptable.

There's outrage about a number of facets of the case - the time it took the deceased parents' to be notified, the overall handling of the case by the Sanford Police, and stupid comments made in the media (like "Latino and black parents shouldn't let their kids wear hoodies" - way to go Geraldo Rivera), when the fact is that a 17 year old kid who was a decent student who'd never been in trouble with the law is dead for no apparently reason. Oh, and of course, stupid comments made by posters on this site (quoted post included). I don't think people wanting an explanation, and accountability in this case is remotely unreasonable.

recceguy said:
However, that's what people need to realize. The Left gains support, credibility an status from bullying, selective reporting and outright lying. All things that Redeye uses to validate his fanatical and phantasmal opinions and views.

:rofl:

Nearly slanderous nonsense. Fanatical views? Please. I'm pretty much in the centre of the spectrum.

recceguy said:
A tumour dies when it's source for living is cut off. A ludicrous, ignorant, nonsensical, partisan conversation\ discussion dies when you stop responding to the dick that continuously disagrees because Napoleon is dead and that pompous ******* thinks the should have the job.

Wow. I could say this about you, with monotonous regularity. But I don't.

Kalatzi said:
The key thing that sticks in my mind - a 140Lb kid - kicking a 240 lb adults butt? If that's the case Zimmerman made the wrong career choice.

Well all I can respond to this is you obviously don't have a clue...............anytime you wish to engage these guys,....well, have at 'er.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Well all I can respond to this is you obviously don't have a clue...............anytime you wish to engage these guys,....well, have at 'er.

Unless Trayvon was some kind of MMA fighter, which I don't believe there's any evidence of, I would hazard a guess that most people would agree that 100lbs weight difference gave Zimmerman a marked advantage. Further, he chose to follow the guy and cause the confrontation. It sounds like the victim was simply returning home, minding his own business.

There's also the 9/11 transcript where the dispatcher told Zimmerman there was no need to follow him. This man made a choice to go after him, and the outcome was tragic. I find it interesting that the man who signed the "Stand Your Ground" act into law (former FL Governor Jeb Bush) indicated that he doesn't see that law applying in this case.

This whole thing doesn't pass any smell test, and I'm glad that Gov Scott has gotten a lot of resources involved in investigating it and getting to the bottom of it.

Redeye said:
Unless Trayvon was some kind of MMA fighter, which I don't believe there's any evidence of, I would hazard a guess that most people would agree that 100lbs weight difference gave Zimmerman a marked advantage. Further, he chose to follow the guy and cause the confrontation. It sounds like the victim was simply returning home, minding his own business.

There's also the 9/11 transcript where the dispatcher told Zimmerman there was no need to follow him. This man made a choice to go after him, and the outcome was tragic. I find it interesting that the man who signed the "Stand Your Ground" act into law (former FL Governor Jeb Bush) indicated that he doesn't see that law applying in this case.

This whole thing doesn't pass any smell test, and I'm glad that Gov Scott has gotten a lot of resources involved in investigating it and getting to the bottom of it.

Yup, and the odds of parents giving their kids "Martial Arts" training is slim to none as well.............

recceguy said:

Kinda like the Right Wing Conservative Media, and Faux News being a prime example. >:D

Larry Strong said:
Yup, and the odds of parents giving their kids "Martial Arts" training is slim to none as well.............

Okay, okay. I submit.

Trayvon Martin might have been some sort of kung fu fighter. So it was totally legitimate for him to be shot dead. Okay. I'm glad we've put that one to bed.

:facepalm:

Do that hitting yourself thingy again. And again. And again.

No one said it was legitimate. People are putting forth different viewpoints. If you can't handle that then it's time you make excuses about having to update virus definitions and log off for a while. People are getting sick of this constant bullshit from you.

You weren't there. Neither was I. The difference being that I'm happy to consider alternative viewpoints. And I don't lambaste others for theirs.

Scott
Staff

So, redeye - to RG's point, you simply discount this?

"When I got upstairs and looked down, the guy who was on top beating up the other guy, was the one laying in the grass, and I believe he was dead at that point," John said.

Zimmerman says the shooting was self defense. According to information released on the Sanford city website, Zimmerman said he was going back to his SUV when he was attacked by the teen.

Sanford police say Zimmerman was bloody in his face and head, and the back of his shirt was wet and had grass stains, indicating a struggle took place before the shooting.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/state/witness-martin-attacked-zimmerman-03232012

I assume because it is a Fox affiliate? I agree with you in that, on it's face - this was a senseless shooting. On the other hand, it appears that you dismiss any part of the story that doesn't fit your notion of how it all went down.

To be clear, I don't know any more than anyone else does, who has only information garnered from media coverage. I'm not sold it was race-motivated.

If I had to guess (and that is all it would be) - I would guess that "Yeah, Zimmerman followed the guy and hassled him, then broke off. The kid thought "Screw this. I'm not gonna get hassled like that" and then started to try and administer the *** kicking."

*Edited to add last thoughts

Back