• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Uber to ban riders with low ratings

BeyondTheNow

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
I don’t use Uber, never have, never will. Isn’t there an eerily similar Blackmirror episode?  I don’t foresee any potential problems here.  ::)

Failure to tip, a refusal to chat … even where you sit could influence how drivers rate you and under a new policy could see you banned.

Since Uber first began to allow users to check their ratings on the app in 2017, riders have harbored growing anxiety about how many stars their behavior in the back seat will earn them...

...Others say they have found ratings docked for seemingly discriminatory reasons: Hilary Weaver, a journalist based in New York City, said they noticed their rating was docked by a few points after taking a car home with a same-sex partner after a date. One rider said she felt the ratings system was weaponized against her: Hannah Simkins, a musician in London, said her rating was docked after she rebuffed sexual advances from her driver...

More at link:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/may/31/uber-to-ban-riders-with-low-ratings

BeyondTheNow said:
I don’t use Uber, never have, never will.

My transportation needs are pretty minimal. I don't work. I walk to our local business district. Other than a hospital, it has anything I'll ever need. I also walk to the subway to go downtown.

I take the Union Station - Pearson Airport Express. Can't stand the aggravation of driving or parking at either one of those places. 

I would consider Uber. But, we have an account with the local cab company. I've always found their drivers to be reliable, safe, courteous and know the streets and points of interest. I think having an account means they take customer service and concerns / complaints seriously, to avoid losing an account to a competitor - such as Uber.

I own a car. But, use it mostly for golf and trips. My wife uses it a lot more than I do.

For short hops east of the Humber River, I usually take a cab. Especially when getting together with retired friends. That way I can have a couple of drinks, and let a professional drive me home.  :)

I do not believe Uber hires professional, full time drivers.

I think it's a great idea for both the driver, and passenger to care about their rating.

I've only used Uber about 10 times so far, but I find it far more convenient than a Taxi, and the cars have in my experience always been nicer/more comfortable. I also like that the driver has to care about your experience, I've had too many bad taxi drivers.

As an example, I traveled to Kuala Lumpur from Pont Klang in a taxi. It cost me near $100 USD, and the car was not air conditioned, nor was it comfortable. On the return from KL to Port Klang I used Uber, and rode back to the ship in comfortable style (BMW 5 series) for $71 USD.

Furniture said:
I think it's a great idea for both the driver, and passenger to care about their rating.

I imagine you would have to be a pretty awful passenger to get banned.

mariomike said:
I imagine you would have to be a pretty awful passenger to get banned.

Maybe, maybe not.  The ratings given by a driver (or a passenger) are not based on any established criteria.  As related in the article some have received lower than expected ratings simply because they were not talkative.  I've used Uber only once and it was not in my city of residence.  In fact, I googled to confirm that they were not operating here in Calgary, surprising me that they are here, though it is more in direct violation of city bylaws.  When Uber first tried to set up shop here the city's opposition was much more vocal and direct but it appears that (after some legal wrangling) they simply defied the law and stated they would pay the fines if their drivers are caught.

While they "may" provide a less expensive and perhaps more comfortable experience than a traditional taxi, this swelling rumour about possibly banning low rated passengers does concern me.  Taxis are regulated and though many will bemoan the fares they charge and the sometimes poor upkeep of vehicles, that licensing does provide protection for passengers.  Adequate insurance and criminal record checks aside, just the availability of a car that is required to complete a needed journey without prejudice is paramount.  The ride share services who do not abide by taxi licensing rules don't have the same obligation.

Like many transportation services that have disappeared because an alternative form of transport captured a greater rider share, it is conceivable that "licensed" taxi services could be forced out of the picture as Uber type services garner a greater market share.  But how could that exclude people who may currently use taxi services (even if only occasionally)?  Well right now, to use Uber, you need a valid credit card; while it may be normal for most who frequent these means approximately 11% of Canadian adults do not have a credit card (according to 2016 statistics).  I don't know what other demographic patterns apply to those without, but I assume that a major portion of those may be at the lower end of the economic scale which often is also associated with persons of colour, females and First Nations.  With the potential that drivers can arbitrarily give ratings that reflect prejudices beyond "lack of chattiness" it is possible that a greater  percentage of the "usual victims" of prejudice could be banned from Uber's service without any recourse.

Apparently there are 7 things that will get you banned from Uber,

Have sex with a driver or another passenger.

Bring a gun.

Break the law.

Puke in the car.

Stalk your driver.

Be a racist.

Fighting.

At some level, I think a business can and should be able to ban customers.

Not all customers are good customers.  The customer is not always right.  Have you seen how some people (or worse, their children) behave while shopping?

While the criteria do need to be firmed up, some basis for banning customers may in some cases be justified. 

Sorry, Stoker Dave. I made a technical error. I typed - and erased - my reply to you in the wrong box. - mm

stoker dave said:
At some level, I think a business can and should be able to ban customers.

I remember wishing for that. The customer was not always right. But, they were always the customer.

Also, "No Uber soup for you! Come back 1 year!" ( Seinfeld ).

Colin P said:
Some customers are not worth the effort.

Depends what the employer's policy is on Refusal of Service. That's a "hanging offence" with some.

Can an Uber driver refuse a call, without a good reason?

mariomike said:
Depends what the employer's policy is on Refusal of Service. That's a "hanging offence" with some.

Can an Uber driver refuse a call, without a good reason?

Uber considers its driver as "independent contractors" and as such are free to work when they want and to accept or not accept riders who request a car.

https://www.uber.com/a/join?exp=70801c
No office, no boss.

Whether you’re supporting your family or saving for something big, Uber gives you the freedom to get behind the wheel when it makes sense for you. Choose when you drive, where you go, and who you pick up.

It may be worth noting the three different cab companies i worked for over 6 or so years gave the drivers ability to turndown clients for legitimate reasons. Other cabbies i know who work for other companies also do the same or similar.

So Uber has implemented a similar albeit more tech savvy system.. i see no issue. Screening in the industry already exists, makes sense it will evolve with the times.

Abdullah

For those mentioning the ratings as a two-way street, this guy gets it.  ;D

Attachments

• 46FF6A53-D1E7-4734-97FB-7633551F3EDA.jpeg
    46FF6A53-D1E7-4734-97FB-7633551F3EDA.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 130
BeyondTheNow said:
For those mentioning the ratings as a two-way street, this guy gets it.  ;D

From the film "Sabrina",  :)

Chauffeur: I like to think of life as a limousine. Though we are all riding together, we must remember our places. There's a front seat and a back seat and a window in between.

Employer:  Fairchild, I never realized it before, but you're a terrible snob.

Chauffeur:  Yes, sir.

Back