• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UN calls Canada racist for 'visible minorities' tag

• Thread starter Thread starter McG
  • Start date Start date
Journeyman said:
I guess we're interpretting Collacott's comments differently. I believe he's using "discriminate" in the form of 'to differentiate' - - ie: Canada uses "visible minorities" to identify a group to be targetted for special treatment, policies, hiring practices, whatever...which Collacott notes he also disagrees with; regardless of the intent, this system provides an inherent negative discrimination against those not considered a minority (eg - white, anglo males), as opposed to treating everyone as equals.
I think we are both reading him the same, I just put my own spin on it.  However, I think the UN is making a fair argument if the term "visible minority" is being used to allow discrimination against any group and, as you've noted, Collacott also disagrees with the appropriateness of use of the term.

It is socially acceptable in Canada to discriminate against the white male.  Some hiring policies say "no white males" (a BC fire department comes to mind).  Regardless of the reasoning, can you imagine the storm that would be produced if any other identifiable group were so specifically excluded as a hiring practice?

It was a short lived policy in November 2005 in the Public Service

http://www.canada.com/national/story.html?id=8b38e8a9-f7de-460b-9bd7-723991e9d12e

Journeyman said:
It's perfectly logical. If you eliminate any terms to express the concept of "minority," there will be no minority, therefore removing any possible grounds for discrimination.   ::)

In the media today, the report was likely issued yesterday....on the anniversary of Aristotle's death. I'm sure the father of Aristotelian logic is rolling in his grave.

This report is just one more reason, on a very lengthy list, of why the UN should be bulldozed into the sea.  >:(

Can I drive the cat?

UN workers are repeatedly reported for raping the very victims they are suppose to be helping, perhaps if they spent more time cleaning up their own filth and vermin and less time listening the squackings of their Member Countries-who's human rights records are beyond horrific-the world would be a better place.  While they are cleaning up perhaps they could pay the millions in parking tickets they owe to NYC?

I think we should protect invisible minorities too.
We could call them "substantially challenged", but people might confuse
them with the UN.

REALLY - in this age of one genocide following another insurgency the UN
should have more on it's collective plate than this!

The Canadian government owes the world body a terse letter.
Some thing like "Until the UN actually pulls in one direction for a change,
and does something, P_F_O!

My take was the UN was actually agreeing with what 95% of you are saying. 

Maybe you need to re-read it.

"distinction based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin is discriminatory." 

Reccesoldier said:
:boring: Who cares...

It's the UN, I mean it's not like they're actually going to DO anything about it.  :boring:

+1

Once there was a time I thought much better of them (UN), now they are nothing but a gutless paper tiger, eating up tonnes of money, creating more red tape then actually solving anything.

As my Mom would say "as useful as a milk bucket under a bull", or "as useful as tits on a boar". Either way, I've lost ALL my confidence in them period!

Cheers,

Wes

U.N....in Bosnia, CPL's watching genocide through a set of binoculars only to suffer later in life. I feel bad for the U.N, League of nations older relative... :P

How do you think these same UN Do gooders will react to this little gem that appeared in today's paper?

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/world/view_article.php?article_id=54121

Winston Churchill: 'Jews 'partly responsible' for troubles'

Agence France-Presse
Last updated 09:54am (Mla time) 03/11/2007

LONDON -- Britain's Second World War prime minister Winston Churchill argued that Jews were "partly responsible for the antagonism from which they suffer" in an article publicized for the first time Sunday.

Churchill made the claim in an article entitled "How The Jews Can Combat Persecution" written in 1937, three years before he started leading the country.

He outlined a new wave of anti-Semitism sweeping across Europe and the United States, which was followed by the deaths of millions of Jews in the Holocaust under the German Nazi regime.

"It would be easy to ascribe it to the wickedness of the persecutors, but that does not fit all the facts," the article read.

"It exists even in lands, like Great Britain and the United States, where Jew and Gentile are equal in the eyes of the law and where large numbers of Jews have found not only asylum, but opportunity."

"These facts must be faced in any analysis of anti-Semitism. They should be pondered especially by the Jews themselves."

"For it may be that, unwittingly, they are inviting persecution -- that they have been partly responsible for the antagonism from which they suffer."

The article adds: "The central fact which dominates the relations of Jew and non-Jew is that the Jew is 'different'."

"He looks different. He thinks differently. He has a different tradition and background. He refuses to be absorbed."

Elsewhere, Churchill praised Jews as "sober, industrious, law-abiding" and urged Britons to stand up for the race against persecution.

"There is no virtue in a tame acquiescence in evil. To protest against cruelty and wrong, and to strive to end them, is the mark of a man," he wrote.

The article was discovered by Cambridge University historian Richard Toye in the university's archive of Churchill's papers.

At the time, Churchill's secretary advised him it would be "inadvisable" to publish it and it never saw the light of day.

Churchill was voted the greatest Briton ever in a nationwide poll held by the BBC in 2002.

Back