• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unauthorized Uniform parts Picture hunt. "For fun and giggles"

I generally let them wear whatever they want on their head as long as it is not a street hat or whatever.   its just easier and more comfortable to wear a toque, or tilley hat.  You dont have to worry about losing your capbrass.  I generally try NOT to wear a beret you dont have to worry about it getting lost or dirty or wet.

This was the Seniors photo for my corps. I'm second from left. Our corps uses these uniforms known as patrol dress for Sgts and above on Special events and occasions, CO's Parades, Annual Review, Remebrance day, etc.

frazzle...

The uniform is called "Patrol Blues"
I note that, in your picture, you have two people wearing a silk waist sash.
The sash is part of Officers dress & only the RSM is entitled to /  expected to wear it.

Wearing the sash, that WO is out of uniform
(I laso note that he is not wearing an RCAC badge on his sleeve....)

I could be wrong, but the collor dogs, hat badge and shoulder titles don't look right on the one individual. Are Cadets allowed to wear these??

Colar dogs are for artillery - same as the shoulder titles.  Appropriate for an Artillery supported cadet corp.
The Cap badge on the Pith helmet is and old British coat of arms made for the pith helmet BUT, do not see it as being appropriate for use by a Canadian cadet corp.

The sword's basket hilt is appropriate for the Artillery.  Infantry pattern sword would have the royal cypher on the hilt.

geo...

The Warrant Officer is the incoming RSM and thats why he's wearing the Sash and the other person wearing a sash is the outgoing RSM, he was promoted to MWO on the parade and the pictures was taken the day before the parade. Also, the incoming RSM had outgrown his uniform and they pieced together a uniform for him for the photo and thats why his RCAC badge is missing, it was on for the parade though. we were all supose to have collar dogs, and shoulder titles, but years ago a cadet stole most of them and all we had left was a set for the outgoing RSM.

Ah... figured it was something like that.
The incoming RSMs jacket has no epaulettes - so, prolly an officer's jacket that had gold wire braid.

WRT the collar dogs & shoulder titles, you should be able to approach your allied /affiliated Arty unit & buy / beg / borrow / steal the missing accoutrements. 

Note that one of the things that "bugs" most Regs & Reservists will be, in the event he is missing a part of a uniform, the cadet's decision to carry on and wear it anyway.

Great picture, but I have some questions:

1.  Isn't the waist sash to be worn by officers and CWO?  Not RSM (appointment) but worn by CWO(rank)?

2.  Isn't the waist sash only worn when the wearing of a sword is not appropriate?  I thought that it was only the PPCLI who wore both.

3.  Don't cadets use rulers anymore????  The Sgt on the left has his badges all out of whack.

I am just asking, not commenting.

In patrol blues, all Officers would wear the silk waist sash.
The sash would be worn for ceremonial affairs - not necessarily with a sword.

The PPCLI were the 1st to bring it back to wear with CF Green uniforms.  There, they are only worn on occasions when the ORs wear whites.

WRT the Officers dress being worn by the CWO (and not WO or MWO)  BINGO!

geo said:
Ah... figured it was something like that.
WRT the collar dogs & shoulder titles, you should be able to approach your allied /affiliated Arty unit & buy / beg / borrow / steal the missing accoutrements. 

Our affiliated unit pretends we don't exist, all of the patrol blues and cap badges come from our own money. The Senior NCMs are trying to convince the officers to buy them, but i think it'll come down to NCMs buying their own.

geo said:
In patrol blues, all Officers would wear the silk waist sash.
The sash would be worn for ceremonial affairs - not necessarily with a sword.

Just to make sure that I fully understand, while wearing patrol blues, all officers and CWOs, regardless of trade/unit, wear the sash for ceremonial affairs?  I was under the impression that this privilege of rank was reserved for the infantry??  In the CF greens, according to my copy of the CF Dress Regs (which are slightly outdated), it would appear that all infantry officers could wear the sash for ceremonial purposes, but only the PPCLI could wear it while wearing a sword.

It gets to be really confusing when cadets wear old uniforms for which there are no longer complete regulations.

rwgill,

Stop thinking about the current "new" pattern of dress
we are going back to uniform dress that existed through to the 60s - before the CF Greens ( till +/- 1968)

All branches would have varying patterns of patrol blues and mess kits.  All officers would wear the silk sash on ceremonial occasions

Infantry Senior NCOs wore (and wear) a scarlet or crimson sash (in cotton fir Sgts & raw silk for WOs & MWOs) across their chest.  No other branch - no other trade wears it.

Armoured Senior NCOs in patrol blues wear a dispatch / message pouch across their chest.

Rifle unit Senior NCOs wear a Leather sash,

etc, etc, etc.

geo said:
All branches would have varying patterns of patrol blues and mess kits.  All officers would wear the silk sash on ceremonial occasions

Thanks.  That answers my question.

geo said:
rwgill,

Stop thinking about the current "new" pattern of dress
we are going back to uniform dress that existed through to the 60s - before the CF Greens ( till +/- 1968)

Infantry Senior NCOs wore (and wear) a scarlet or crimson sash (in cotton fir Sgts & raw silk for WOs & MWOs) across their chest.  No other branch - no other trade wears it.

Armoured Senior NCOs in patrol blues wear a dispatch / message pouch across their chest.

Rifle unit Senior NCOs wear a Leather sash,

etc, etc, etc.
As do varying Units that still wear Patrol Dress (which is a proper term). In some, only the CO & RSM wear silk waist sashes, Officers and WO wear sword belts. Not all Armoured units wear the message pouch. As with all these uniforms, you have to check the dress regs of an individual Unit for it's internal quiffs.

Patrol blues was, at one time, worn by all.  Now, at 400 to 750$ a set, COs and RSMs is normal - though many units encourage all officers to get them.

In Montreal, the RCH, and the RMR Sr NCOs use the Blues as their Mess Kit... (approved by the NDHQ Dress committee)

In the WR, all Officers, WOs & Snr NCOs, Guidon Party, as well as the Band, wear Patrols Dress, on all formal Regimental parades. Mess Dress is worn for dinners. However, many Units allow Patrol Dress for dinners also.

Back