• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unit marksmanship teams

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
M

MAJOR_Baker

I was wondering, how many units Reserve (Militia) and Regular Force have marksmanship (I don‘t know if it is the correct CDN Military term) teams?

My unit does not because it is a TDA organization. However, other units on post do, they also have some of their own personal weapons as well. They have to store them in the Arms room if they are not an NCO/Officer or live in the Barracks.

What type of weapon would a CDN team use? Service weapons? Rifle and or pistol, anything else? Maybe a crew served weapon?

S_Baker
I know at RMC they have rifle and pistol teams. I heard in the reserve they have competitions. As to crew serve weapons, I‘m not to familiar with those competitions. I doubt many .50 cal MG will be going off for a trophy.

Charles

At one time the major units used to have pistol, rifle, sniper and LMG teams. They would compete at the brigade level then the winners would move on to the National level in Ottawa. The sniper and rifle teams, once successful nationally, would compete in England at Bisley.(sorry for anyincorrect spelling of that word)

These days I don‘t believe that the national compatition is held anymore due to no money in the system for it.

Too bad as it used to be a good marksmanship and mil skills promoting event. I was lucky enough to compete on the 1 CMBG pistol team in 92 and 93.

The DCRA/ORA also puts on a small compatition for the local Military units in ONt. (both reg and reserve compete)

Hope that answeres your question.

Slim

do they still have the big shoot at cannaught ranges,the queens medal.i was there 93 :mg:

I don‘t think so...But as I‘ve been gone for awhile I don‘t have the "up-to-date answer for you. Maybe get one of the reg force guys to answer that question.

There was a shoot at connaught ranges two years ago. I don‘t think there was something last year.

Back