• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Navy picks Gitmo’s top enlisted to be new MCPON

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.stripesonline.com/article.asp?article=38014&section=104

Navy picks Gitmo’s top enlisted to be new MCPON

Stars and Stripes
Mideast edition, Sunday, June 18, 2006

U.S. Navy
Joe Campa is the new Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, the service’s highest enlisted rank.

ARLINGTON, Va. — The Navy has selected Master Chief Petty Officer Joe Campa as the new Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, the Defense Department announced Friday.

The news came six years to the day that Campa achieved the rank of master chief, according to the Navy.

His first tour as a command master chief was aboard the Yokosuka, Japan-based USS Curtis Wilbur. The guided missile destroyer deployed to the North Arabian Sea in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, while Campa was the ship’s top enlisted sailor, a Navy news release says.

He is currently command master chief for Joint Task Force Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Campa will assume his duty as the senior enlisted sailor on July 10, the Defense Department announced.

“Master Chief Campa follows a legacy of tremendous service by MCPON Terry Scott,” Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Mullen was quoted as saying in the DOD news release.

Mullen said that he looked forward to working with Campa.

“Master Chief Campa has the fleet and fleet Marine force experience to represent our sailors not only standing watch at sea and ashore, but also serving in nontraditional missions across the globe,” he said.

Campa enlisted in June 1980. This year, he graduated from the Naval War College with a master’s degree in National Security and Strategic Studies.

In the release, Campa said he would not have been able to get where he is today without his friends, shipmates and family.

“I am humbled beyond words for the opportunity and responsibility I now have been given to serve in this role as MCPON, and I am determined to make sure our Navy continues to offer such opportunities to the best people our country has to offer,” Campa said.

Back