• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USMC / US Navy Uniforms

GB

Inactive
Reaction score
I am hoping that someone on here can help me out.  I volunteer at a community theatre and this year they are putting on the play "A Few Good Men".  I am interested in finding out if anyone knows where we could possibly purchase surplus dress uniforms of the USMC & Navy as well as ranks and badges.  We have skilled people that could make the uniforms from scratch but this usualy turns out to be more expensive then buying used stuff and modifying and being a community theatre we don't have very large budgets.  Surplus stores in the US (perferably near the border to Buffalo &/or Detroit) or even Canada if any carry this kind of stuff.

For anyone interested the theatrical play was created first and debuted on Broadway with sucess and then it was made into the movie with Tom Cruise.  After the movie release and success the play was re-written to include many items from the movie including the L.Col. Jessop line "you can't handle the truth..." and then played on Broadway again with the re-written material.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Mods if this is in the wrong place please feel free to move.

Gord

Have you contacted any surplus stores in the area? - A quick google search will get you websites/contact info for local surplus stores

Ebay would be another option

Thanks for the quick response.  Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that in my original post that I have checked the local stores (Ontario) and no luck on dress uniforms, some do have US rank badges, etc..  I am using Google as well and found a few places in Michigan that may be an option as well and have an email out to them.  Just looking for as many resources as possible to have the best price options as well, because of the limited budgest that we have.  EBay tends to be a bit too expensive for what I have seen so far on there (uniform wise).

Thanks again your suggestions are appreciated.

GB said:
. . . . . no luck on dress uniforms, some do have US rank badges, etc..  . . . . . Just looking for as many resources as possible to have the best price options as well, because of the limited budgest that we have.  . . . . .

I can't point you to any hidden cache of US service dress uniforms, but I do have one suggestion that might be easier on a limited budget.  While it would not be the exact visuals of the movie version of "Top Briefcase", if the production was adapted in that the cast wore short sleeve orders of dress ("summer whites" for the Navy and "service charlies" for the Marines) during the courtroom scene it would reduce the search for most of the more expensive (and more difficult to find) uniform components.  I attended (years ago as a spectator) a court martial while in the US and the uniform of the day was such.  It may not be the look your production is aiming for, but it would be militarily acceptable.

This from the "Rules of Practice Before Navy-Marine Corps Courts-Martial - Western Judicial Circuit"
RULE 14: UNIFORMS

Rule 14.1: The military judge shall designate the proper uniform
and civilian attire to be worn by all persons
required to be present at trial. However, when court
is convened in a courtroom facility or nonoperational
setting, all parties, counsel, and the
court shall appear in the Uniform of the Day.

Utility uniforms and khakis shall not be designated
as courtroom uniforms unless the court is convened at
sea or in an operational setting in the field.

Rule 14.2: The accused shall wear the insignia of grade and may
wear any decorations, emblems, or ribbons to which
entitled. The accused and defense counsel are
responsible for ensuring that the accused is properly
attired; however, upon request, the accused’s
commander shall render such assistance as may be
necessary to ensure that this task is accomplished.
In situations where the accused is in pretrial
confinement, the Government is responsible for
ensuring the accused is in the appropriate uniform.
Confinement uniforms are not appropriate courtroom
attire.

Rule 14.3: Physical restraints shall not be imposed on the
accused or any witness during open sessions of the
court-martial unless prescribed by the military
judge. No accused or witness in open court shall
wear any tag or symbol that identifies him as being
in custody.

JCR 14.3a: The uniform for trial participants including counsel,
accused, court reporter, members, bailiff and all
witnesses for all courts-martial sessions in the
Western Judicial Circuit shall be in the seasonally
prescribed dress uniform of the day (or service
equivalent):

Marine Corps:
All ranks: Service “C” (norm) or Service “A”
or “B” uniform.

Navy:
E-7 and above: Summer Whites (a/k/a Service
Whites) or Service Dress Blues
E-6 and below: Service Dress Whites or Service
Dress Blues

The uniform requirement shall be followed unless
specifically modified on a case-by-case basis by the
detailed military judge.

WJCR 14.3b: Civilian counsel will wear conservative business
attire as would be appropriate for an appearance in a
Federal District Court.

I also found this "costume plot" for the play in question.  http://www.costume.com/rental/showplot/fewgoodmen.htm

For what it's worth I vacation in Maryland quite a bit and there is a store in Annapolis that supplies the United States Naval Academy with uniforms and they used to have a poster in the window that said they supplied the uniforms for the television show JAG. It was signed by the cast members.

The name of the place escapes me but why not call the public affairs officer and/or visitors center/museum at the USNA and tell them what your doing.  I bet they can give you some ideas. They are a great bunch of people.

Good luck.

Back