• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USN Zumwalt Launched

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Futuristic Warship taking shape
www.utsandiego.com

zum2_r620x349.jpg

The photo shown here was taken on July 29, 2013 by U-T San Diego from the public park next to BIW, which is located on the Kennebec River.

The destroyer Zumwalt is tentatively scheduled to be commissioned in 2015. The ship was photographed on July 29, 2013 from the public park next to Bath Iron Works. Gary Robbins

Artist's rendering the the Zumwalt-class destroyer. US Navy

zummy_2_t540.jpg

That is a really odd-looking ship.  It's amazing what progress produces, ne?

Fred Herriot said:
That is a really odd-looking ship.  It's amazing what progress produces, ne?

My guess is that your children/my grandchildren will find that "look" quite normal.

Remember this?

Skeena.jpg

The destroyer, FRASER, in which my father sailed in in the early 1930s

assinibo.jpg

The destroyer, ASSINIBOINE, in which my father served in 1940

FBHC6lrg.jpg

The first of the "new" destroyers in the 1950s: ST LAURENT

hmcs-iroquois-620.jpg

Our current, most 'modern' destroyer: IROQUOIS, commissioned in 1972

From the looks of it, they've just enclosed everything. Moved some stuff back, probably to balance center of gravity and other important stuff.

I wonder what the radar signature would be compared to the class they are replacing....

With a planned crew of a 150, hey maybe we can even afford to run one...Wonder if they would lease us one?  :)

GAP said:
I wonder what the radar signature would be compared to the class they are replacing....

Quite low according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zumwalt_class_destroyer

"Despite being 40% larger than an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer the radar signature is more akin to a fishing boat"

Colin P said:
With a planned crew of a 150, hey maybe we can even afford to run one...Wonder if they would lease us one?  :)

I think it would break our bank, "US$3.45 billion (unit cost),[1] US$7.0 billion (total unit cost including R&D)" and that's for 10 ships. Maybe though the cost would go down per unit if we offered to pick up 3 or 4  8)

Arleigh Burke's are fairly substantial girls.  At 40% bigger, I hope I get the chance to see one of these new ladies one day, would be a sight.

Actually, I think a better historical comparison would be the Confederate ironclad CSS Virginia (aka Merrimac)

Tomahawk,  do you see the USN moving towards a more littoral surface fleet with shore support at its core while leaving Open/Blue water ops to SSK/SSBN and CTGs ?

Just asking as my understanding of the rail gun would mean its highly efficient in a ground support role but not that hot for AAA duty.

Halifax Tar said:
Tomahawk,  do you see the USN moving towards a more littoral surface fleet with shore support at its core while leaving Open/Blue water ops to SSK/SSBN and CTGs ?

Just asking as my understanding of the rail gun would mean its highly efficient in a ground support role but not that hot for AAA duty.

The rail gun with its range of over 200 miles would be useful against land and naval targets,but as you point out not aerial targets. For air defense these ships would need SAM's and be part of a task force.I would think it would also need a 5in gun to target fast attack boats.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,160195,00.html

I think the critical factor is the power source. No matter where you use  the railgun it has to be portable, and being portable means bringing it power source along with it. Ships have a power source readily available, land stations .....not so much. (Think Maginot Line)

You can't just plug it into your stove.....

If I'm not mistaken, pretty well all the naval action has been littoral since Korea.  Hitting things ashore with either guns or missles from fairly close in.  Ship to ship action hasn't really happened since the end of the second world war.  At least from what I see that seems to be the direction things have gone since 45.

jollyjacktar said:
If I'm not mistaken, pretty well all the naval action has been littoral since Korea.  Hitting things ashore with either guns or missles from fairly close in.  Ship to ship action hasn't really happened since the end of the second world war.  At least from what I see that seems to be the direction things have gone since 45.

Solid point JJT!  Having said that there have been gun boat / corvette clashes between N Korea and S Korea that may be more situational than a predictor though...

I suspect they are planning this for but not with rail guns for now. Hopefully they have an idea of what requirements they will need for a rail gun, such as shielded trunking to the gun platform. I suspect that with the power cable requirements for a rail gun, it will have limited traversing ability. I doubt a slip ring arrangement will work as well, but that's just guess. I agree a mix of conventional guns, rail guns and missiles will be a good fit for these ships.

New U.S. artillery shell moving toward production
upi.com

The LRLAP is a 155mm shell fired from the Advanced Gun System for the U.S. Navy's next-generation DDG 1000 destroyer. Its purpose is to provide fire support to troops ashore from a stand-off distance and with minimal collateral damage. It features an advanced rocket motor and hardened electronics, including a global positioning system and inertial measurement unit for navigation.

The effects of the recent US govt. shutdown on the defense-oriented shipbuilding industry, exemplified:

Defense News

US Navy: Shutdown Postpones DDG 1000 Christening
The christening of the first-in-class destroyer Zumwalt, which had been set for Oct. 19 at Maine’s Bath Iron Works, has been postponed by the government shutdown, the US Navy said in a Friday news release.

“It is incredibly unfortunate that we are being forced to cancel the christening ceremony for this great warship,” Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said in the release, “but the ongoing government shutdown prevents us from being able to honor Admiral Zumwalt’s memory with a ceremony befitting his and his family’s legacy of service to our Nation and our Navy.”

The Navy and the shipyard, owned by General Dynamics, are in talks to reschedule the ceremony, the release said. As of early Friday, the yard’s website providing details on the event had not been updated to reflect the schedule change.

(...)

Back